bolt17cdn
Premium Member
join:2011-03-03
Arnprior, ON

bolt17cdn to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3

Re: Small Business Sever recommendations

Thanks HarryH3. the Dell PowerEdge T310 looks like a good option, the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails. And thanks for the heads-up on the above mentioned errors!

Office 365... Online Software Hosted in the Cloud, that's an intersting option csiemers! I hadn't even thought of that. I will have to read up on it.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

said by bolt17cdn:

Thanks HarryH3......
.......the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails.

I think the terms were "hot swap internal hard drives"......and "dual power supplies", which I'd think both supplies would still be solid mount to the chassis - to help with earth etc.

Please ignore, I was misinformed and posted incorrect information.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

said by bolt17cdn:

Thanks HarryH3......
.......the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails.

I think the terms were "hot swap internal hard drives"......and "dual power supplies", which I'd think both supplies would still be solid mount to the chassis - to help with earth etc.

You'd be wrong. You can hot swap the PSU's. They're mounted on slide rails. I tested it and you can indeed disconnect either power cord and the system stays running. You then push down on a small lever and pull the "dead" PSU right out the back of the server.

Enterprise servers aren't built like DIY systems. They're designed with 24/7 operation in mind. Datacenters today often have multiple virtual machines running on one server, so the impact of having a single server offline can affect a large number of customers. The Dell T310 referenced above also has dual NIC's with automatic failover in the event that one fails. At the enterprise level you'll also find cool stuff like the ability to even hot swap cards in PCI slots. Uptime is king inside a data center.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

My apologies for getting that wrong on the power supplies. I was not aware of that specification.

Thanks for correcting me.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Ahh, no harm, no foul. We're all here to learn new stuff from each other. Many days it's my turn to be wrong.