Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tucker8235

@bellsouth.net

ATT Netgear 7550 vs Pace 4111N DSL Modem Gateways

Click for full size
Spreadsheet
I wanted to upgrade from my Motorola 3347 for a couple reasons, I always had trouble with my voip service and the wireless g speeds from it or my wrt54gl were starting to show their age. Because of the voip issues, I knew I wanted to replace the modem no matter what, not just add a wireless N AP. I called ATT and asked to buy the Pace 4111N. On the website it says it is for business or residential while the Netgear 7550 says it is only for residential so the Pace must be better right plus I liked the looks of it a lot more. They said they didn't know which one I would get but could return it if need be. Of course the Netgear came. I could not get any speeds faster than 2.44mb/s out of it so I ordered the Pace from the website and got a return shipping label from phone att support. I had them both together so I thought I would compare the two. I was getting the same 2.44mb/s speeds transferring a file on the Pace from my wired media center. After some reading, I deleted the wireless connection and re-added it, then I started seeing greater than 2.44 depending on how close I was to the routers with a max of ~9mb/s. I was going to return the netgear but now I am going to keep it after testing the two and return the Pace. Starting with power draw measured using a kill-a-watt, the Pace idles at 9.5w and goes to ~11.5w while transferring a file. The Netgear idles at 5.1w and goes to 6.8w while transferring a file. (3347 idled at 6w)The Netgear has a lot more ventilation and generates way less heat than the Pace I'm sure also from the lower power consumption. The wireless signal measured at different parts of the house showed the netgear the same or better than the pace. I then tested transferring a 590mb file from my wired media center to a windows 7 laptop and windows 8 laptop from different locations. Again, the Netgear was 0-5mb/s faster depending on the location. This was a pretty quick test done side by side, I'm sure there are many variables. I tried testing with the Pace again with the netgear off, and it would stay up for a couple minutes and then reboot. I don't know if it was setting itself to a clearer wifi channel or what but it seemed unstable and I didn't have more time to mess with it(Could be the modem not liking being swapped out that much, resetting trying to get on ATT network?). Looks wise I think the netgear looks really cheap and the Pace looks much more solid. Performance and efficiency wise, it is the opposite. The Netgear is a nice step up in wireless speed from the 3347 easily having twice to three times the speed with N wireless cards. We'll see long term reliability wise how the netgear does but with less heat and better ventilation, I would expect it to be more reliable. I hope this is helpful to others out there deciding between the two modems. I don't have uverse available yet so these are the main modem choices for me. I will also say that if I wasn't having voip issues, I probably would have bought a N AP since both the Pace and Netgear are $107 with tax, 2 day shipping is included if you buy from the website, if you order over the phone it is $15 for regular, and $20 for 2 day shipping. Pace took 3 days total to come.

oedolyn

join:2013-01-22

The Pace 4111n may not be a good replacement for a couple of reasons. For one, it's software is changed by ATT to a simpler configuration from that in the 2Wire Homeportal to make it more "plug n play" giving you very little options to change.
It has no setup wizard. Why that is key is because the 2Wire allowed to write in the activation key code unique to the ISP's service. The Pace had it's key code locked in for their PPPoE setup (standard residential account) by ATT (unless the connection uses DHCP which there is a key to that). I cannot use it without issues because my account has static IPs provided for me which requires a different key code from what is set in it. Pace and ATT could not provide a way to change my gateway's key code maybe as a means to lock the gateway to be useable only with ATT.
Second, it doesn't have the Management and diagnostic console like 2Wire has.
Third, Pace's customer support exists but doesn't give anything more than what a manual will offer and will defer yo to your ISP for problem solving.
Write down all the configuration settings to your modem and consider getting any of the commercially available ADSL router/modem combos out there, if not a 2Wire

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by oedolyn:

The Pace 4111n giving you very little options to change. It has no setup wizard. Why that is key is because the 2Wire allowed to write in the activation key code unique to the ISP's service.

The activation key code just changes the connection type and the connection type can be changed manually.
said by oedolyn:

The Pace had it's key code locked in for their PPPoE setup (standard residential account) by ATT (unless the connection uses DHCP which there is a key to that). I cannot use it without issues because my account has static IPs provided for me which requires a different key code from what is set in it.

If you have a uverse internet connection it requires a different modem, if you have a legacy att dhcp or static ip internet connection there is a activation key code that will allow manual setup of the connection type