Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

[CallCentric] SOLVED! CC Settings on PAP2T

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm still trying to get back to using CC with my PAP2T, here's what's going on:
- If I enable my CC line my PAP2T reboots every five to ten minutes. I've watched it reboot, it would most definitely kill a phone call if one had been in progress. Reboots are not perfectly regular, but occur sometime within five to ten minutes of the previous reboot.
- Turning off (disabling) that line eliminates the problem. My other line is registered to my CWU account (where my CC calls are forwarded) and I've run over a week with no reboots while registered there as long as my CC line was disabled.
- The screen shots show my CC page. It wouldn't fit all on one screen so I broke it into top and bottom.
- I'm using DNS servers 209.18.47.61 and 216.231.41.2, query mode is "parallel." I doubt if that's a problem, one is CC's suggested server and the other is my ISP's. Also, no problem unless I enable the CC account.
- My PAP2T is running firmware 5.1.6(LS)

Any ideas? I'd like to use the SRV configuration to avoid the DDoS plagued A-record SBCs.

Edit: I got it, see the last post...

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Re: [CallCentric] CC Settings on PAP2T

Nothing stands out....

I'd try (separately):

a) Changing the DNS Query Mode to sequential.

b) Using [srv.callcentric.com] for the Proxy entry as well as the Outbound Proxy entry. I realise that this varies from their posted plan.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
reply to garys_2k
I realize that you want to use the SRV record for Callcentric, but for troubleshooting purposes, try using callcentric.com instead for the Outbound Proxy server and see if your PAP2T still reboots.

OTIS3

join:2011-09-29
One user in the mega thread, that is now locked posted about using Speakeasy DNS servers to get SRV to work. This worked for me after trying many things. If you can find it he posted at least 15 servers to choose from.

These are the two i chose from the list, i think boston and chicago

Not sure what you should do about the rebooting.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

3 edits
reply to garys_2k

Hmmmm.... I missed this thread earlier.

If you still have the problem, I suggest reading this post of mine from moments ago :

»Re: CC Disaster

Also, I checked your screenshots and I have 'Proxy Redundancy Method' set to 'Normal' - maybe try that again, as it is the default for that ATA.

My own 'DNS Query Mode' (on ATA 'System' page - not in your screenshots) has always been set to 'Parallel', and no reboots so far.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by Davesnothere:

Also, I checked your screenshots and I have 'Proxy Redundancy Method' set to 'Normal' - maybe try that again, as it is the default for that ATA.

Thanks, I just tried that and the reboots continued.

Seeing as how we're now back to "under attack" mode I'm going to stop worrying about it and just keep my DID forwarded to CWU and use them (CWU) for outbound calls. No issues at all so far, other than having to check the website for voicemail (which now that the election is over is way down).

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to garys_2k

Re: [CallCentric] SOLVED! CC Settings on PAP2T

Click for full size
Original setting, reboots continually
Click for full size
New setting, no more reboots!
After lurking on the threads about the 3CX SIP client I noticed discussion about using the SRV settings and how the SIP port should be set to "0." Hmm, maybe there's something analogous on the PAP2T.

The first graphic is really a closeup of the first one in the original post. Note that I was setting the SIP port while using SRV settings lower down. Apparently that combination causes reboots.

The second pic shows all other settings the same except the SIP port was just NOT specified, the box was left blank. Since I made that change and enabled the line I haven't see a restart in over 12 hours.

Why does this work? Who knows, the PAP2 has bugs, this is one of them. I hope it helps anyone else working on this...

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
I checked the admin guide and there is no mention of how the device should behave if SIP Port is blank.

I blanked my own and it defaulted to 5060. Anyone have a theory as to why this solves the problem?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by Mango:

I checked the admin guide and there is no mention of how the device should behave if SIP Port is blank.

I blanked my own and it defaulted to 5060. Anyone have a theory as to why this solves the problem?

Note that the SIP Port number is BLANK in my screenshot in the OP.

»CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

Not sure of the significance, but I had decided on that setting thru a combination of learning previously what worked for Anveo, and from some other folks' advice about CallCentric, given just before I started the thread, but leaving that field blank was for some other reason (which I cannot recall ATM), rather than to solve any PAP2T ATA spontaneous reboots, as only some of the OBI ATAs had been rebooting as of then, IIRC.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to garys_2k
Ok - you're settings are working for you - now let me have you chew on this -
I set the SIP port on my PAP2T to 5070, I'm using the srv.callcentric.com and I have a setup for CallWithUs on the other PAP2T port (for which I did manually set that to 5060). I've had no problems registering (well, at least as long as CC is doing good at fighting off the DDOS attacks), and otherwise my settings are like yours.

I did set the PAP2T's DNS servers to the defaults as handed out by my ISP, in my case Time Warner Cable, and it's been fine.

I still maintain that some peoples issues are caused by their internet connection to CC not yet being fixed (this is an ISP issue, not so much a CC issue), especially those who were in the affected area of Sandy.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by scooper:

Ok - you're settings are working for you - now let me have you chew on this -
I set the SIP port on my PAP2T to 5070, I'm using the srv.callcentric.com and I have a setup for CallWithUs on the other PAP2T port (for which I did manually set that to 5060). I've had no problems registering (well, at least as long as CC is doing good at fighting off the DDOS attacks), and otherwise my settings are like yours.

I did set the PAP2T's DNS servers to the defaults as handed out by my ISP, in my case Time Warner Cable, and it's been fine.

I still maintain that some peoples issues are caused by their internet connection to CC not yet being fixed (this is an ISP issue, not so much a CC issue), especially those who were in the affected area of Sandy.

I also have CWU on one line, set to 5060, and had had my CC line set to 5060 and it caused the reboot. MAYBE that's the problem, but some time back I had F9 on one line, set to 5060, as well as CC on the other, also set to 5060, and there were no problems. All of my reboots started when I tried the SRV settings with CC.

Maybe setting the CC to 5070, instead of blank, would help, maybe not. I might give it a try later tonight when it's less likely we'll be using the phone and a reboot wouldn't cause a problem.

As for this being an ISP issue at my end, I did see some of the threads talking about submitting a ticket and discussing what ISP the users were connecting through. I hope someone posts some specifics of those discussions because I'm not sure what ATA settings could be impacted by which ISP is being used. The DNS settings? Maybe, but I tried CC's suggested settings and ended up with one set to their suggested server and the other to my ISP's primary server. In any case the only way to stop the reboots was to change that SIP port setting.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Mango:

Note that the SIP Port number is BLANK in my screenshot in the OP.

»CallCentric Linksys ATA Screenshots

Wow, now I recall seeing that and I missed duplicating it, nice job. It sounds like if I'd just followed it my problems would have been fixed days ago. Thanks!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

said by garys_2k:

Wow, now I recall seeing that and I missed duplicating it, nice job. It sounds like if I'd just followed it my problems would have been fixed days ago. Thanks!

Or might never have happened ?

That's K00L !

Now I cannot say whether or not the random ATA rebooting would have happened to me too - as I had already chosen the blank field for other reasons, and had not anticipated the rebooting.

And if it had anything to do with CC's longer DNS records - not sure either, but they have shortened them again since then.

As I might have also said earlier, trying the blank port was an idea which I first got from learning about DNS records stucture when DNS SRV is being used (while setting up my Anveo account - and had applied the setting first THERE, and later to CC), because a port number usually gets specified for each server in a DNS SRV enabled DNS record.

I think that what may happen is that the port specified in the DNS record may conflict somehow with the port which we enter manually into the ATA.

garys_2k
Premium
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by Davesnothere:

I think that what may happen is that the port specified in the DNS record may conflict somehow with the port which we enter manually into the ATA.

Yes, and that caused the (IMHO) buggy code running the PAP2 to reboot the device. Nice that a port conflict caused the equivalent of suicide, but whatever, it's an end of life device.

Just before the DDoS fun started I bought a Obi 100 intended to take over for the PAP2T, thinking I could get GV as a backup and it would be supported for the medium/long term. I did get GV working on it, but now I'm not sure I want that to be part of my backup plan, or how to use it.

I guess I see CC as my primary (now it's back to full use, my home phones are using it ONLY with no forwarding), CWU became my outbound backup (as CID could be set to my "real" number), and GV as a third tier. But that's three lines and each device can only use two at a time.

Anyway, glad to have the PAP2 working again with CC! The little we've used it has been back to its previous level of greatness.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to garys_2k
Just set one of the sip ports to 5061 or 5062 etc, that is not in use. I have no problems when doing this.

I do find your "Proxy Redundancy Method" setting interesting. I think I am going to try this for a while, as it seems to be designed specifically for SRV.

It could actually help a lot of folks using the Pap2 devices, that were having issues.