Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DevilFrank

join:2003-07-13
Reviews:
·T-Com

Avira incompatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

In a new knowledge base post on its site, German security company Avira is now warning customers that its products are currently incompatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 with existing Avira products installed will result in a blue error screen.

full story
--
Regards from Germany. Please excuse my stumbling English

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Wow. Good thing I wasn't planning on using Avira on my new Windows 8 machine when it arrives. Where has Avira been all this time? They knew Windows 8 was coming out on Oct 26. I would be quite unhappy if I had their paid product and had just bought a new computer.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to DevilFrank
i think avira is more concerned with the new spam-machine and "ask" toolbar that are built into the current versions of their programs..

i read, somewhere, that the free version of the avira 13 program didn't have any popup ads, unlike previous versions, but, if you look in the avira forum, it seems like the free avira 13 program is overloaded with popup ads.. lots of people are saying that they have ads popping up all over their screens and that they can't close the windows that are displaying the ads..

between the spam-machine, the other popup ads, and the "ask" toolbar, i question if the avira program still qualifies as being a legitimate av program..

for the time being, i am using the avira 12 premium program and i haven't had any issues with the program's new spam-machine or with ads popping up on my screen, but, still, it is offensive, to me, that avira would build a spam-machine into the program..

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1
reply to DevilFrank
Seen that today and I raised a stink about it a bit on their forums. Absolutely zero excuses are acceptable imo. These chaps had enough time to get it out on launch day of Windows 8. First quarter of 2013... you have got to be freaking kidding me! That could be as late as Feb./March. How insulting to current users and ones that might have just purchased a license. Specifically for Windows 8 assuming Avira would have it out any day now. All the big vendors are out pretty much right now. That is why I went to NIS 2013 today. I want more protection then Windows Defender and Windows Firewall that comes with 8.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to redwolfe_98
I've been too busy trying to get a new machine to visit the forum in about two weeks now. I didn't know about the spam machine. Ugh. Of course, the Ask crap is why I only have Avira 8 and I still use it simply because I cannot add RAM to this old machine (it is limited to 2GB) and Avira older versions are very light. But I would never use a version past 9 and, of course, Avira was recently trying to force, without any warning, an upgrade to 12 on all of us who still use 8 or 9. They plan to kill versions 7, 8 and 9 before the end of the year.

I have never been so proud of Process Guard as when it blocked all the upgrade crap. Everyone else, either was forcibly upgraded to 12, or they tried to block the upgrade and then had a major mess that was not fixable unless they upgraded. I think I am the only user who has been able to continue using ver 8 with zero problems, and no prompts to upgrade, no attempts at forced upgrade after the first attempt that PG blocked.

I'll miss Avira 8 on my new machine but I sure won't miss versions later than 9. Avira sealed their downfall when they introduced scareware and sleazeware to the free version. I even told the CEO personally that it was just a matter of time before Avira fell completely if he didn't reverse the decision to use scareware and sleazeware. Now it is happening.

Edit: I just checked the Avira forum. If, Avon, of all people, is extremely upset and angry about this...he's a very long time loyal user who never liked hearing any criticism of Avira...well, you manage do something awful enough to anger this type of user...your product is on its last legs.

Well, well, Stefan Berka just officially replied for Avira. I wish I could say I can't believe the arrogance of the reply..but sadly I can:

"At the date you purchased a Avira license it was known to be compatible with the recent Windows operating systems to this time. There was no statement that the Avira product is compatible with Windows 8. After release of Windows 8 it was your choice to upgrade to a currently not supported operating system."

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson