uniqs
N6ATF
join:2012-07-03
San Diego, CA

N6ATF

[ALL] PSA: Look before you leap to a faster package

We have a Moto SB5101 (DOCSIS 2.0), which the support page:
»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· 00000000

says is only compatible with "Starter and Essential packages".

However, we have been using it fairly reliably on the Preferred package (VOIPo SIP adapter failures finally isolated).

Until, my brother (accountholder) spoke with billing and was offered and accepted a 6-month free upgrade to Premier (DOCSIS 3.0 required).

The billing rep apparently wasn't made aware of the hardware incompatibility, which hit us hard, with wide swings in bandwidth, packet loss, latency, the whole shebang. Just requested from Juan U. at internet support chat that we be downgraded back to Preferred, but it's not showing the change yet or any improvement in service.
Expand your moderator at work

stevensr
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Amarillo, TX

stevensr to N6ATF

Premium Member

to N6ATF

Re: [ALL] PSA: Look before you leap to a faster package

Why not just upgrade to a D3 modem?
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to N6ATF

Premium Member

to N6ATF
when did you change back? reboot the modem?
N6ATF
join:2012-07-03
San Diego, CA

N6ATF to stevensr

to stevensr
said by stevensr:

Why not just upgrade to a D3 modem?

Money. We originally bought the D2 under the premise that it would work fine for our package, and cost less over time than rental fees.

I had reset and rebooted the modem last night and it still showed Premier, but this morning, the account management page says we're back to Preferred. Yay.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

D3 will become the new standard and D2s won't be allowed on Cox's network, so upgrade and get the bonding benefits.

-Rob

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Replace the word "allowed" with "supported" and you'll probably be pretty close.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to N6ATF

Premium Member

to N6ATF
I can't see why it would causes issues. You just wouldn't get your full speed if the bandwidth wasn't available. The more I think about it, I just can't see it causing packet loss. But regardless, I wouldn't run a D2 modem on Cox's network even with Preferred in the first place.

Anony
@cox.net

Anony

Anon

If there were no bandwidth available on the 2.0 channel that you're locked onto...wouldn't that cause packet loss?
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by Anony :

If there were no bandwidth available on the 2.0 channel that you're locked onto...wouldn't that cause packet loss?

You would notice latency, and such increasing if that one channel is being pushed to hard, and possible to cause packet loss to. But the to main thing's here would be, speeds going to shit, and latency going up due to channel capacity being overloaded.