uniqs
share rss forum feed

Davefred99

join:2012-08-10
Moreno Valley, CA
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to grand total

Re: [PBX] PBX in the cloud or Build your own.

I did a little Internet searching and did not come up with any VPS provider any where as cheap as quoted. Not sure I would have much trust in $3.50 or even cheaper per month host provider.
I am still looking at the idea of a cloud PBX but also the thought of building my own Virtual Machine PC has crossed my mind. I have some other things such as a pc base security system that could probably be moved to a VM and always like to tinker.My problem is I know not much about what VM software or platform would be best and or at what cost.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Tinker with the free ones first. I finally settled on Proxmox, but there are others that have their own strong points.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Davefred99

join:2012-08-10
Moreno Valley, CA
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Nunya,

Since I have zero experience with VM I am unclear what free ones to try, I looked at VMware Player and Virtualbox, but sort of got lost. It was not clear to me if I had to start with a clear clean PC or if I could just load one on and existing Windows PC. My only available PC's are still running winXP. I have win7 on my laptop and have ab HTPC also running winXp as a Sage TV server. My current PIAF box is a lowly P3 1100 with just 512 of memory so its probably out. I am thinking of building a new Win7 or 8 HTPC but not sure I would want to put or even could run VM on it. I don't think and HTPC server would work out well in a VM? But again I am starting with now working knowledge just what little I have read up on it.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to Davefred99

said by Davefred99:

I did a little Internet searching and did not come up with any VPS provider any where as cheap as quoted.

»www.lowendbox.com
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.11.0 with Asterisk GUI on Virtual Server
Anveo - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

voip_wire

join:2010-07-02
kudos:1
reply to Davefred99

said by Davefred99:

I did a little Internet searching and did not come up with any VPS provider any where as cheap as quoted. Not sure I would have much trust in $3.50 or even cheaper per month host provider.

I suggest you look at lowendbox.com and the associated forum LowEndTalk. I use a 128mb ram KVM server from hostigation and have found them to be excellent. At $30/year, which includes a static ip address, I find the VPS route to be very economical.
Another provider frequently recommended at LowEndTalk is buyvm.net.

Cheers,
-m