Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Fusion Drive

Nice write-up on some of the finer details of Fusion Drive:
»arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/ac···n-drive/

Anybody going to try it out?

I've had a 7200RPM drive and an SSD in my MBP since I got it. Seems like a much better solution than manually managing everything. Might give it a shot later this week.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Yeah I may just do this with my Mac Pro and see how well it works. Course my SSD is 240GB - I need to see if this will be able to use my whole SSD or if I'll be stuck with a 120GB partition with little use.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by Count Zero:

Yeah I may just do this with my Mac Pro and see how well it works. Course my SSD is 240GB - I need to see if this will be able to use my whole SSD or if I'll be stuck with a 120GB partition with little use.

It uses the full disk.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Thinkdiff

Click for full size
Finally got around to setting it up. Was pretty painless (worst part was trying to find a place to store my data and then get it back onto the fusion drive).

I'm using a 240GB SanDisk SSD and a 320GB 7200 RPM HD in my MacBook Pro. Shows up as a single 556GB drive.

dynamic=:~ Td$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         239.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         319.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               650.0 MB   disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:                  Apple_HFS Fusion                 *556.1 GB   disk2

At the actual partition level, there's the usual EFI partition on both disks, then the CoreStorage partition that's used to create the Fusion disk, followed by an Apple_Boot partition. On the HD, this seems to act as the Restore partition for Mountain Lion.

If you boot to Lion, you'll only see a single Boot OS X partition mounted (I can't remember if it was the SSD or HD one). All of your data will be hidden.

I only tested speeds briefly, but they were noticeably worse than the SSD alone. ~130MB write vs ~250 and ~350MB read vs ~500MB. I'm not sure if TRIM on my drive is just slow or what, so I'll try again once it's had some time to settle. My results seem to be opposite of what other reviews have shown.

One thing that I'm still looking into is if the HD will spin down on it's own when not in use. That's the biggest annoyance I had with a 2 disk setup on my MBP - the HD would spin up/down all the time unless I specifically unmounted it. So far it seems to stay spinning all the time :(

--
Expand your moderator at work

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to Thinkdiff

Re: Fusion Drive

said by Thinkdiff:

At the actual partition level, there's the usual EFI partition on both disks, then the CoreStorage partition that's used to create the Fusion disk, followed by an Apple_Boot partition. On the HD, this seems to act as the Restore partition for Mountain Lion.

If you boot to Lion, you'll only see a single Boot OS X partition mounted (I can't remember if it was the SSD or HD one). All of your data will be hidden.

I only tested speeds briefly, but they were noticeably worse than the SSD alone. ~130MB write vs ~250 and ~350MB read vs ~500MB. I'm not sure if TRIM on my drive is just slow or what, so I'll try again once it's had some time to settle. My results seem to be opposite of what other reviews have shown.

One thing that I'm still looking into is if the HD will spin down on it's own when not in use. That's the biggest annoyance I had with a 2 disk setup on my MBP - the HD would spin up/down all the time unless I specifically unmounted it. So far it seems to stay spinning all the time

Those read write speeds for the fusion drive are pretty bad that is why I did not put one in my new mac mini for work. I went with the dual hard drive setup because the OCZ Vertex 4 SSD that I slap in all my Mac's perform a whole lot faster. That performance boost is worth more than one logical volume.

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
reply to Thinkdiff

This guy as some thoughts on this:

»macperformanceguide.com/blog/201···ini.html
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Thinkdiff

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22148837

Is a newer model but Seagate has made hybrid drives for awhile now.

Would be interesting to see how one of these performs against a fusion drive. Though I am guessing Fusion is just a relabeled Seagate Hybrid.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 recommendation

said by Kearnstd:

Though I am guessing Fusion is just a relabeled Seagate Hybrid.

And your guess is wrong. Fusion is not a caching technology like the Seagate drives it's more like storage tiering where files are moved between drives depending on how often they are accessed. Read the Ars article posted by the OP for a better understanding.