All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Mice infest Winnipeg woman's $1M house

A Winnipeg woman says she was shocked to find the $1-million house she recently bought has a mouse infestation so severe, that she has to pay big money to have all the insulation ripped out.

Carrie Forsythe said that after she took possession of the south Winnipeg home in September, she started opening up the walls to renovate it.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/winnip ··· 120.html
jaberi

jaberi

makes one wonder if the previous owner's sense of smell did not detect it, or they did not care...
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to jaberi

to jaberi
Ugh... I hate those little critters...

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
While she appears to have been swindled on this deal and is whining through the CBC, I say too bad.

Anyone who want to buy a house, especially one as expensive as that and can't spent a couple hundred dollars to to due diligence prior to closing the deal does not deserve sympathy.

Really, if the infestation is as bad as reported, any home inspection (would not require Holmes calibre here) would have determined that there was one.

I thing the message here is this: You want to buy a place, the small investment in proper inspection will go a long way to ensure the safety of your investment.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Right here:

"Forsythe said she did not get the home inspected before purchasing it, "

Still a home inspector might have missed it, but not likely. Maybe she needed a Holmes Inspection

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
"Forsythe said she did not get the home inspected before purchasing it, but she did go in with contractors, engineers and architects several times before the handover and no one noticed anything wrong."

And now she wants help, and wants to sue the previous owners because they just had to know...

Not getting any sympathy. Anyone that pays that much money and hires all those architects and engineers should have the brains to spend less than a thousand dollars for a home inspection.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

The problem is, any clown can hang up a shingle and claim to be a home inspector - and their contracts are typically written so that they're not responsible if they miss something. I'm sure their insurance won't cover it - if they have any.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
She should start a mouse farm, there are so many labs around the world. Yoyo will probably come in here and recommend leaving monsanto apples lying around to kill the critters.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

The problem is, any clown can hang up a shingle and claim to be a home inspector - and their contracts are typically written so that they're not responsible if they miss something. I'm sure their insurance won't cover it - if they have any.

This, home inspections are generally pretty useless

They're not responsible if they miss something, and all they look at is what's visible.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

If you don't try to go for the cheapest one possible and shop for them like you're shopping for apples, and someone paying for a 1 million dollar house has no reason at all to be cheap, home inspectors are hardly useless.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
This could be a 2 part, 2 hour episode of Holmes on Homes!

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to jaberi

to jaberi
You can spend a million dollars on a house in Winnipeg? Really?

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Steve:

In Toronto, it is a fixer upper!

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to Steve

Premium Member

to Steve
said by Steve:

It's the only one that doesn't flood annually. Those mice ain't dumb.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:

There's about 10-20 that sell / year over the 1 million mark, maybe a few more this year as there's been a lot more listed. That being said, people in that market here are A) generally not buying used homes and B) generally custom building.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Steve:

In Toronto,it's a tar paper shack.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by Steve:

In Toronto,it's a tar paper shack.

Well, we are going a bit far.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

can this mess be cleaned up, and what guarantees they won't come back?...yes, i'm learning and curious.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by jaberi:

can this mess be cleaned up, and what guarantees they won't come back?...yes, i'm learning and curious.

You have to determine how they gained entry to determine how to keep them out. A few mice in a wall or an attic is normal...

The article doesn't say how many mice there were so I wonder if this is rich people hysterical exaggeration.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to jaberi

to jaberi
sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully the previous owner didn't sell it to her like that knowing the situation. :-\

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

said by Warez_Zealot:

sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully the previous owner didn't sell it to her like that knowing the situation. :-\

If it's infested that bad, of course he/she did. I don't know about there, but here this would be labeled a non-disclosed and hidden defect and should would win in court.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Shrug :

If it's infested that bad, of course he/she did.

Bzzzt wrong. An exterminator - someone who knows more about this than you do - said it wouldn't be unheard of for something like this to happen without the owners knowing, particularly because of how the house was designed.