uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

[WIN8] What do I get my Win8 Pro backup disc?

I downloaded and upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows Home Premium. At the same time Microsoft gave me the option to order a backup disc as well for an extra add-on cost witch I thought was well worth to have on hand should I never need it. I still have not gotten my Windows 8 backup disc yet from Microsoft. When will Microsoft be mailing me my backup disc I paid for???

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
When did you order it? It'd say 2-3 weeks from date of order, this isn't Dell or Apple that we're talking about.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
reply to floydb1982
I got an email on 10-30-12 saying my disc has been shipped. It said 4-8 business days via USPS. But I have not gotten it yet.

floydb1982

Kent, WA
reply to J E F F
I don't own a DELL or Macintosh but a custom built desktop PC from iBUYPOWER mailed to me prebuilt on 9/2/2012 all ready to turn on right out of the box..

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to floydb1982
Maybe I'm missing something here. I purchased the digital download and passed on the $14.99 backup disk. I chose the option to burn the iso to disk rather than go the straight to upgrade option.
What does the backup disk purchased from MS have on it that the install disk I burned myself doesn't?

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
The backup disc from Microsoft is a factory pressed DVD like the boxed editions, in the era of flakey DVD-R media its better safe than sorry for some customers. I doubt there is anything extra, Microsoft isn't known for having extras on a Windows Install disc like the Win95/98 era. hmm, reminds me I should try "Hover!" on Win 8

I had my dad order a disc on his Win8 Pro upgrade, after several "flakey" CDR/DVDR media in the last two years I'm not taking a risk(I did use a Verbatim DataLife Azo DVDR disc). On my upgrade purchase I opted to create a bootable USB flash drive, in my opinion its good to have "reliable" options.

Tel

Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by HappyFrappy:

The backup disc from Microsoft is a factory pressed DVD like the boxed editions, in the era of flakey DVD-R media its better safe than sorry for some customers. I doubt there is anything extra, Microsoft isn't known for having extras on a Windows Install disc like the Win95/98 era. hmm, reminds me I should try "Hover!" on Win 8

I had my dad order a disc on his Win8 Pro upgrade, after several "flakey" CDR/DVDR media in the last two years I'm not taking a risk(I did use a Verbatim DataLife Azo DVDR disc). On my upgrade purchase I opted to create a bootable USB flash drive, in my opinion its good to have "reliable" options.

I can see your point. I did keep copies of the iso on two different backup locations plus the DVD so I figure out of the 3 I'll surely have a copy left should anything go wrong.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to floydb1982
Floyd.. did you by chance do the upgrade via the "add features to Windows" option under About:Computer ?

If you did then you can forget about using an .iso of Win 8 Pro, because if you try it like I just did, you will get a message when you enter the key saying in a nutshell that key is an upgrade key and cannot be used to install Windows.

Basically it looks like what would have to be done is install whatever version you were running when you did the online upgrade ( in my case the original OEM version of 8) then after that, running the upgrade using the new key you got with the upgrade.

So much for the idea of doing a fresh install of just Win 8 Pro to eliminate all the added OEM crap..

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
You really don't need the disk. As long as you have the ISO file saved on a backup or flash drive you can re-burn a disc anytime.

Tel

Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
said by tonyram57:

You really don't need the disk. As long as you have the ISO file saved on a backup or flash drive you can re-burn a disc anytime.

That was my thinking. I've got it backed up multiple places and unless they do away with dvd's I'm ok.

floydb1982

Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to tonyram57
tonyram57 I deleted the ISO file off my computer. I didn't think I needed it for any reason because I told Microsoft I wanted the add-on option of a backup disc mailed to me. Now your telling me that I should have kept the ISO file and not deleted it at all???

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Well, maybe not "should have" but certainly "could have".
--
♬ Music is life ♬

mustang50
Premium
Roseville, MI
reply to floydb1982
If you know your order # (on the email they sent you) you can re-download Win8.
»www.mswos.com/

docchat

join:2002-10-02
New York, NY
reply to floydb1982
I have an order date of 11/02/12 and received an email stating that my Win 8 Pro DVD had been shipped via USPS.. Still have not received it.. I wonder what is up??

mustang50
Premium
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
I had to call Microsoft 2 times because I didn't get the disk.
Got India both times, anyway they finally agreed to send me another one. This time it's suppose to come via UPS instead of USPS.

mustang50
Premium
Roseville, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
So a follow up:

I got home today and in the mail (USPS) were the Win 8 DVDs.
I open the storm door and there is a package via UPS also Win 8 DVDs. So I got 2 sets of DVDs. lol
On package via USPS it says it was shipped on 10-29-2012....28 days ago. Talk about pony express