uniqs
share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

[WIN8] Can ypou log on to WIn8 without internet?

I know that when you log in to Windows 8 Pro you are basically logging into your email/messenger account. What if your broadband ISP goes out and you loose the internet connection does that mean you can't log into Windows 8??? Or can you still log into Windows 8 without an active internet connection???

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by floydb1982:

I know that when you log in to Windows 8 Pro you are basically logging into your email/messenger account. What if your broadband ISP goes out and you loose the internet connection does that mean you can't log into Windows 8??? Or can you still log into Windows 8 without an active internet connection???

You can log in even with your live account when disconnected from the internet. Just like you can log in with a domain account when not connected to your work domain.

You have to be connected when you add your live account for the first time, obviously, but after that your credentials are cached locally.

And you can have all the local user accounts you want, too.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN
said by floydb1982:

...like you can log in with a domain account when not connected to your work domain.

I do not recommend you use cached domain credentials. If your using a laptop and it's stolen or confiscated, the passwords anyone has used on the system can be recovered. Although I have not had to do this on a tablet yet, or Windows 8 for that matter, I'm sure it's a similar process and it's just a matter of time before I do.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by WireHead:

said by floydb1982:

...like you can log in with a domain account when not connected to your work domain.

I do not recommend you use cached domain credentials. If your using a laptop and it's stolen or confiscated, the passwords anyone has used on the system can be recovered. Although I have not had to do this on a tablet yet, or Windows 8 for that matter, I'm sure it's a similar process and it's just a matter of time before I do.

weird. So, I guess once they crack bitlocker, I might be in trouble.
--

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Exactly.

All the password cracks I have used don't show the passwords but let you reset them which then would render that user's encrypted data useless unless one could figure out how to crack the encryption key.

Not trivial.

But, I don't use BL so I would be an easier mark.

But, I don't keep data on my laptop.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to WireHead
said by WireHead:

said by floydb1982:

If you can't use cached credentials, you would have to initiate a VPN session to the network that the DC resides on before logging in remotely, right?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to floydb1982
I had no problems without internet (or power) during hurricane sandy.
I have a picture password.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:2
reply to floydb1982
Wait. Let me see if I understand this. With Win8 you HAVE to have internet access in order to use the PC? What if you want to install it on a PC that never has web access? I have a PC that I use in such a way. It has no modem, NIC etc ... It has no way of connecting to the internet. So in that case I can't use Win8?

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to floydb1982
I didn't play with it for more than a few days, but you can use a PIN to log in instead of your Outlook password (which is great since I have a 15 character random password). I didn't try it in an off line mode, but suspect that once you have it activated you should be able to use it off line without issue.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Wait. Let me see if I understand this. With Win8 you HAVE to have internet access in order to use the PC? What if you want to install it on a PC that never has web access? I have a PC that I use in such a way. It has no modem, NIC etc ... It has no way of connecting to the internet. So in that case I can't use Win8?

Of course that's not true. If you want to use win8 with cloud services, you'd probably need to connect to the internet - win8 works just fine with all local user accounts (you must make one local admin account on first install, even if you use your live account as your login account.)
--