spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Sink Spray Heads - Do they all suck?

Gotta have em, they're useful.... but they SUCK!

I've been replacing mine every 6 months.
I don't care about the price tag, they're cheap as dirt.
I actually wanted to find a very solid expensive model and be done with it, but in home hardware stores they only sell basic models for 5$-10$.

Is there such a thing as a good sink spray head? Or is it a lost cause like motion sensor flood lights?

Repair question
Now I've had this problem with my sink spray head that seems to come from the hose assembly and not the head itself (Because the problem persists with new heads).

When I release the spray head handle, it will continue spraying water. If it's cold water, it will continue spraying forever. If it's hot water, it will last 5-10 seconds then eventually the water flow will return to the faucet. What should I be targeting in my repairs?
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Is this with a good spray from the nozzle ? If you do not have enough pressure at the nozzle this can happen .
Since I do not like a forceful spray when rinsing off washed dishes , I have also been looking for a nozzle that will positively close under all conditions !
Don't really want to go to commercial grade spray systems , but may have to

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to alkizmo

Mod

to alkizmo
Having had the same problems and running into a great price at Costco about ten years ago, I bought a faucet with an pull-out head. They have this one sale now, but it is pretty pricey compared to what they typically sell in the stores. »www.costco.com/Hansgrohe ··· 574.html

I think I have seen similar designs in the Costco stores for around $100. I paid about 70, ten years ago. When you can get them on sale they are a great deal. Lowe's has a number of pull-outs for around $100.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
You may not be interested in the entire faucet...however I got a very nice one from moen but it came with my faucet. At the time I DID get a replacement tube for "one of these days" that I haven't used yet. Delta or any of the major brands will also have good sprays yet you have to get the kit which would include faucet etc. Sample: »www.moen.com/kitchen-bar ··· Z1z141yd

edited to add: I went back to this kind from the single faucet head. I found it awkward to use and problems with it from the wear of pulling out and back i.e. it eventually didn't stay in as a faucet.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by MrFixit1:

Is this with a good spray from the nozzle ? If you do not have enough pressure at the nozzle this can happen .

I have plenty of pressure.
said by Kramer:

I bought a faucet with an pull-out head. They have this one sale now

I hate those that you pull out from the faucet.
I know they won't last as long as a fixed faucet because of all the moving parts, they also don't have the same amount of flexibility.

Dandelion agrees
said by dandelion:

I went back to this kind from the single faucet head. I found it awkward to use and problems with it from the wear of pulling out and back i.e. it eventually didn't stay in as a faucet.

See?
said by dandelion:

You may not be interested in the entire faucet...however I got a very nice one from moen but it came with my faucet.

The replacement spray heads I bought are from Moen!
Then again they don't look like the ones that comes with the faucet kit.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that I need to change them every now and then (keep a spare one in the plumbing accessories box).

As for the repair question, anyone has an idea of what's going on?
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

said by MrFixit1:

I have plenty of pressure.
said by Kramer:

I bought a faucet with an pull-out head. They have this one sale now

I hate those that you pull out from the faucet.
I know they won't last as long as a fixed faucet because of all the moving parts, they also don't have the same amount of flexibility.

Dandelion agrees
said by dandelion:

I went back to this kind from the single faucet head. I found it awkward to use and problems with it from the wear of pulling out and back i.e. it eventually didn't stay in as a faucet.

See?
said by dandelion:

You may not be interested in the entire faucet...however I got a very nice one from moen but it came with my faucet.

The replacement spray heads I bought are from Moen!
Then again they don't look like the ones that comes with the faucet kit.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that I need to change them every now and then (keep a spare one in the plumbing accessories box).

As for the repair question, anyone has an idea of what's going on?

remember moen and delta, even with all the moving parts are guaranteed for life, well worth the money, when my head broke they sent me one overnite

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Well, for the next one I will keep my receipt.

Then return my PREVIOUS one a few months later, before the new one breaks

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
Quit being cheap

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

When we renovate the kitchen, we'll go for a nice faucet

For now, not worth it.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
My money's on that there's debris of sorts in your water. Whether it's hard water with subsequent lime accumulations, or periodic flushing of the water lines by the city, which stirs up an incredible amount of sediment in some areas. I've been in this house since 1975, and I've replaced one spray head. And that was because I replaced everything during a kitchen update. Now... if you want to talk about garbage disposals... that's a whole nuther story.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Pacrat:

My money's on that there's debris of sorts in your water. Whether it's hard water with subsequent lime accumulations, or periodic flushing of the water lines by the city, which stirs up an incredible amount of sediment in some areas. I've been in this house since 1975, and I've replaced one spray head. And that was because I replaced everything during a kitchen update. Now... if you want to talk about garbage disposals... that's a whole nuther story.

Would the debris cause the spray head to not release/turn-off when I release the handle?

Because our city has been VERY busy flushing/reflushing the water lines, and now they are digging up most of it for upgrades.

The spray head I bought 6 months ago already has rust-looking gunk stuck around the rim.

However what's breaking is the lever. It eventually falls off.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Bits of sediment can prevent the seal/gasket from sealing off and stopping the flow. Impatience/frustration is probably what's breaking the handle. It should only take two fingers to activate the spray. I'm guessing you're becoming very annoyed and squeezin' the life out of it. Check the aerator screeen on your faucet. I'll bet it gets quite a bit of "crap" accumulated in it, too.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
We have this faucet on our kitchen sink:

»www.kohler.ca/onlinecata ··· 89367263

So far, 3 years completely trouble-free, it still works and looks like new. There is a lifetime warranty too.

As for the flexibility, I find that it pulls in and out easily and the hose is very flexible.

I would definitely recommend it.
popper
join:2006-05-30
Baton Rouge,

popper to alkizmo

to alkizmo

said by alkizmo See Profile
Would the debris cause the spray head to not release/turn-off when I release the handle?

There may be build up between the trigger and the housing. A quick cleaning would correct.

Another option for replacement: Shop for a complete faucet/ sprayer kit. Get the model number and simply order the side spray only (some can be $$).

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman to alkizmo

to alkizmo
About all the replacement spray heads look to be made in the same plant in China. Most that I have installed only last for a short time. Same for most hardware store replacement faucet sets, they are low quality junk.
About 4 years ago I looked around for an all stainless steel faucet set. I ended up with an Moen. The sprayer that came with it has worked great and the faucet looks and works as good as day one.
This faucet set looks like the one I have, but not sure if it is the exact model. »www.moen.com/caldwell/sp ··· 87060SRS

BTW you could have too much water pressure. High water pressure is hard on the diverter valve in the faucet and very hard on the sprayer head.
zapattack
join:2012-07-02
CANADA

zapattack

Glad someone remembered the diverter valve. It works together with the handle valve to actually control the flow.
As far as receipts for warranties: may not be necessary. The usual procedure is for the parts distributor to do a direct exchange. Grohe didn't even ask me for initials, but Delta used to ask for paperwork. Contact head office to find out the nearest warehouse-distributor location. Do not fall for the 'mail it in' suggestion unless your are really in a remote location or can do without for about two weeks.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Sounds like another issue. Mine is currently the same age as the faucet assembly and works every time. It is 12 Years old.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by alkizmo:

[att=1]

Sounds like another issue. Mine is currently the same age as the faucet assembly and works every time. It is 12 Years old.

Mine is 9 years old

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

Mine is 9 years old

It's easy to keep it for 9 years if you never wash your dishes

I guess they don't make them like they did 9-10 years ago.
I know my parents bought their house (new construction) in 1991 and when we sold it (2007), it was still working.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Kramer

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Having had the same problems and running into a great price at Costco about ten years ago, I bought a faucet with an pull-out head. They have this one sale now, but it is pretty pricey compared to what they typically sell in the stores. »www.costco.com/Hansgrohe ··· 574.html

I think I have seen similar designs in the Costco stores for around $100. I paid about 70, ten years ago. When you can get them on sale they are a great deal. Lowe's has a number of pull-outs for around $100.

+1

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Mine is 9 years old

I know my parents bought their house (new construction) in 1991 and when we sold it (2007), it was still working.

We rarely ever use the dishwasher. It's just my wife and I and we just hand wash them in the sink so the sprayer gets used.

It's a Moen faucet but I doubt if they all aren't made by the same company in China

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to alkizmo

Mod

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Have you tried replacing the diverter valve?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Mine is 9 years old

»www.familyhandyman.com/D ··· View-All
quote:
Fix an Erratic Sink Sprayer

Inside your faucet, there’s a “diverter” valve, which stops the water flow to the spout and sends it to the sprayer when you press the spray head’s trigger. Here are the symptoms of diverter trouble:

Very little water, or none at all, comes out of the sprayer when you press the trigger. A bad sprayer head can cause this, but more often the diverter is the culprit. To check this, remove the spray head and turn on the faucet. If the water flow out of the hose is weak, the diverter is to blame.
The sprayer pulsates like a machine gun.
Water continues to flow out of the faucet spout when you’re using the sprayer.

Often, a misbehaving diverter needs only light scrubbing with a toothbrush and a good rinse. But since removing a diverter usually requires major faucet disassembly, it’s best to simply replace the diverter rather than risk taking it apart again.

Diverter styles and removal procedures differ widely. Some are small valves like the one shown here. Others are larger cylinders that don’t look like valves at all. Some newer diverters aren’t inside the faucet, but are instead connected to the sprayer hose below. So the first step in diverter repair is finding a diagram of your faucet. If you can’t find your owner’s manual, do an online search. Type in the manufacturer of your faucet followed by “faucet parts diagram.” With a little searching, you’ll find an illustration showing your faucet’s internal parts. You’ll also find several sources for replacement parts online. To find a local supplier, check theYellow Pages under “Plumbing, Fixtures” or search online.

Disassemble the faucet to access the diverter.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
moen and delta dont usually ask for reciepts, all they want is the serial number off the faucet when you call them.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 edit

tp0d

Premium Member

Alkizmo:

you want one of these:

»www.amazon.com/K-10101-B ··· er+spray

I have a customer that uses their spray -constantly- and was breaking the 'older' style all the time. I installed one of these, and it not only has lasted a lot longer, but the customer likes the spray pattern much more... (she called it the 'fire hose' lol)

Its the same connection as yer old, just screw the new one on.. (comes with a new hose, which i recommend installing)

good luck

-j

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
We have had cheap ones - they go for years without issues. I have a cheapie going on 5 years. Not perfect - sometimes not enough pressure to turn it off but just give it a little hot and it shuts off.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

When we renovate the kitchen, we'll go for a nice faucet

For now, not worth it.

pretty sure costco has that one or one like it for like $120 bucks.

I have the delta Touch2o, it's great. The pull out portion is made out of flexible stainless tube. I love the faucet!

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

sometimes not enough pressure to turn it off but just give it a little hot and it shuts off.

The heat temporarily un-sticks the partially open diverter valve, that's why.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

*stuff*

Thanks Doc!

That's exactly what I was looking for.
I guess this will fix the dripping problem of the faucet at the same time.

To all the others telling me to buy a new faucet kit: NO! The 120$ ones aren't gonna last long. I'd rather wait for my kitchen renovation and go for quality THEN.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
I got one similar to this with the handle on the side. I got it for about $60 at Home Depot over 15 years ago and it's never had a problem. I've never seen another one that cheap before so I grabbed it. You just pull it out from the stem and press the button on the spray head it voila.

I've had several of the old standard kind and they always messed up and leaked pretty quickly. I filled the hole in the sink where it was with a soap dispenser, but that messed up too, so I just plugged it.