Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: AMD Losing More Linux Developers

Laptops will be the new normal, yes that much is sure. However, I don't think desktops will be going away as much as most people think. PC gaming is on the rise, most people I know now hardly use consoles because for about the same price they can build a decent gaming pc and play at much higher res and much higher settings, plus mods and all.

This time two years ago I could count on one hand the number of pc games I knew, and it took much more than that for console gamers. Today that has pretty much reversed. "normal" people will be on laptops at the most, but desktops will always have their place/niche. Heck maybe this will drive costs of desktop parts down since there won be as much demand.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by me1212:

PC gaming is on the rise, most people I know now hardly use consoles because for about the same price they can build a decent gaming pc and play at much higher res and much higher settings, plus mods and all.

Android is making a strong play in the gaming field. There are already some pretty decent 3D games for Android. It's certainly not "there" yet, and probably won't be for over a year, but as high-end tablets get cheaper, more ubiquitous, and when true docking stations become the norm, I think serious game on Android could become a reality.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
said by Maxo:
high-end tablets get cheaper, more ubiquitous, and when true docking stations become the norm
So umm the desktop is dead...but you need a laptop/tablet with a docking station!? ? !!? Ok.... I like the idea of docking stations to get more hardware into laptops that may not come in a form you could use.. I just found in storage a real honest to goodness IBM docking station for an old Thinkpad (THE REAL ONES) series.. you add like 3 PCI cards, 2 5.25 drives, port replication etc.. this could come in handy today for things that just are not USB, or PCIx replaceable.

Well the desktop is not dead, nor is it going any where, and YES I do have a datacenter in my house, complete with UPS and backup gen set

I have a laptop for work and personal that is equal to my main personal/work desktops. I have a bunch of older machines that have been turned into LAMP servers, test boxes for distro testing, DLNA servers, download servers, etc..

Tablets just don't really mesh into what I do.. they look cute, but they don't mesh with what I do work or play, and as I've posted before, lamer gamer is not part of my play time. I've investigated them for field work and for one task they would be useful, but the 95% of the other task would hold back the users, especially non computer techie types which make up 99% of the users. To be useable a tablet would have to be in a docking station 100% of the time as those lame onscreen keyboards are useless! Thats why my Droid (Samsung SCHi405/Stratosphere) have a slide out keyboard. And its still an issue typing on it!

Year of the tablets!

Where have I heard a phrase like that before for ... years on years on years... hmmm...... its on the tip of my tongue....I've heard it some place for something else.....hmmmm...
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by TuxRaiderPen:

So umm the desktop is dead...but you need a laptop/tablet with a docking station!?

I'm not a fan of claiming that "X is dead" when X is clearly in wide use. The desktop is certainly not dead today. It may be in the near future, but that's not where my cards are.
However, I do believe tablets do have a real capability to replace many of today's desktop and even laptop uses. That includes the use of tablets as full-scale workstations both at home and at work.
I believe that through the use of docking stations we can easily have tablets that provide the user with the typical desktop experience that provides the experience not available from the typical mobile experience.
I for one find a permanent desktop very useful in that I have a computer in my home guaranteed that is not going to get taken out or misplaced. This is probably preferable in classroom and business situations.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad