PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

Re: Ohio Secretary of State installs "experimental" vo

How should you prove you are a resident if you can't give them the last four of your SSN, DL number (not the license, but the number), or utility bill?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

How should you prove you are a resident if you can't give them the last four of your SSN, DL number (not the license, but the number), or utility bill?

Well, you just use one of your grocery store loyalty cards!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

said by Krisnatharok:

Well, you just use one of your grocery store loyalty cards!

Sweet, I didn't know I could use that as proof of identity. Guess I can travel to other countries on one too.

SentFromMyBB
@opera-mini.net

SentFromMyBB to Krisnatharok

Anon

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Ya, it's weird because in my state, you have to bring your actual ID (birth cert, DL, SS, etc) when you *register* to vote. Since that deadline is long past, why the hullaboo to show it again to vote?

We always just signed the book and it must match your signature on file taken from your registration. Your signature is in the sign-in book above where you sign again at time of voting and the poll worker looks at it to determine if it matches... Just like any financial transaction you make now where your signature is checked against the on-file copy.

I've never had to re-provide my ID or reprint numbers etc at the time of voting.

I get many people don't have IDs on their persons at all times (thank Jeebus we don't have to), and still many others don't own cars therefore don't have a license - take mass transit/dont have a utility in their name/Not a student or in military/Not eligible to use a bank - use payday check cashing/etc etc; So where's the issue? If they registered they provided the legally required proof of ID then. It's voting time - signature check is and has always been enough.*

*except for those still convinced there's the boogyman forging signatures exactly.

*shrugs*

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
Do you really think that those #s mean anything when a fake one can be bought for pennies on the dollar!

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

When I go to vote I take

• My passport (proves US citizenship).
• My drivers license (shows residency in state & address).
• The last voter registration I have (proves I'm in their system).

I've never had anyone look at anything other than the DL.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Do you really think that those #s mean anything when a fake one can be bought for pennies on the dollar!

Really? How do you buy FAKE Real ID drivers license and/or State ID?
Mele20

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

When I go to vote I take

With Real ID drivers license there is no need for a Passport with you as you must provide an original copy of your birth certificate to get a drivers license/renew one now in Hawaii or be able to fly domestically.

Plus, if you don't own a car or drive one at all, you get a State Real ID instead.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

With Real ID drivers license there is no need for a Passport with you as you must provide an original copy of your birth certificate to get a drivers license/renew one now in Hawaii or be able to fly domestically.

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought Hawaii had an illegal immigrant problem.
StuartMW

2 edits

2 recommendations

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

How do you buy FAKE Real ID drivers license and/or State ID?

You just have to go to the right places/people. Illegal immigrants do it all the time. It maybe difficult in HI but there are 49 (56 by some counts) other states.

BTW jaykaykay See Profile living in AZ, a border state, prolly knows exactly where to go and who to ask

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

When I go to vote I take

Come to New Mexico......we'll let anyone register to vote - no proof needed!

No, seriously. My wife registered to vote and you know what kind of ID they wanted for verification? Nothing.

She filled out the paper and within a week had a brand new voter ID card.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well I'm sure no illegals vote there

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Well I'm sure no illegals vote there

No, I'm pretty sure they do.

NM gives a drivers license to illegal immigrants...so even if they are asked to produce ID, they'll whip out a completely valid NM license and register to vote with that.

There's a reason that NM has the largest population of Hispanic voters in the country.......

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by jaykaykay:

Really? How do you buy FAKE Real ID drivers license and/or State ID?

Yes. I do! It happens every day.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· &bih=676
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That search is all about California. California has defied the laws of this nation and refused to implement Real ID for driver's license. Of course, you can buy faked ones in California easily.

Show me where people are able to easily get faked driver's license now in Hawaii. Not a year ago, but since Real ID became law and went into effect this summer. I'm not saying it can't be done. I have seen no reports of this though in the about 5 months that Real ID drivers license has been in effect here. It probably can be done....since most anything can be done if you are wealthy enough but easily and every day? I need some proof on that. And here State ID is now also required to be Real ID and everyone wishing to fly after Jan 15 2013 must get either a Real State ID, Real Driver's License or US Passport. The deadline for flying on old drivers license/state ID could change as Jan 15 approaches but so far that is the deadline.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by Mele20:

How do you buy FAKE Real ID drivers license and/or State ID?

quote:
Yes. I do! It happens every day.

I'm sure yours is genuine

No Real ID in this state--yet

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I'll go with jaykaykay on this. Document mills are thriving here on the mainland. Not just California but here in beautiful Tennessee, and a lot of points in between. You don't have to be "wealthy" to obtain same, you just have to be willing to pay the price. People are willing.

And since passports are also forged, I'm not sure the requirement to have one to fly really achieves much.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I don't have one yet. My driver's license was renewed in 2011 for 8 years and the price for renewal was double that in the past (but in the past it was good for only 4 years. I was glad it went to eight years as if it had stayed at 4 next renewal I would have hit the barrier and would have been required to have it renewed with various tests and doctors reports for only two years from thereon) but I got a reprieve since the renewal was for 8 years. Anyhow, I have to go pay money again before Jan 15 to get a Real ID driver's license so I can fly interisland. I had to request an original birth certificate from the state where I was born to show Driver's License Department when I go to get the Real ID one. It's a privacy invasive license and I think it goes from the current three fingerprints to all ten besides a bunch of other stuff. Because of the facial recognition on it, I think you cannot smile for the photo.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well the Feds want Real Id drivers licenses as a national id card. Just one more thing so they know everything about everyone everywhere.

Of course the public reason is to prevent terrorists from getting on airplanes. The actual reason is to institute a national id system.

Bummer for you that you live in a state that doesn't object to it.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
As Bruce Schneier pointed out, forge the documents needed to get one.

Okay, so it's not technically a fake Real ID, it's a real Real ID obtained fraudulently. Not really much difference there.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Well the Feds want Real Id drivers licenses as a national id card. Just one more thing so they know everything about everyone everywhere.

Of course the public reason is to prevent terrorists from getting on airplanes. The actual reason is to institute a national id system.

Bummer for you that you live in a state that doesn't object to it.

I know all that. Hawaii was among the handful of states still protesting Real ID until this past summer.

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 edits

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

BTW I assume that you can't, or don't want to, move from Hawaii. I've moved countries several times including to one where I didn't speak the language. Amazing how many people never move from their neighborhood of birth. Each to his/her own I suppose.

I spent a large part of my youth living on an island (not my choice) and frankly I don't want to do it again.

FYI I've also lived next to the sea. My siblings can't bear to be far from it. I'm a landlubber

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 edit

2 recommendations

jaykaykay to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
My friend, you would not need a fake ID. You have a real one and are not desperate to be a citizen. Those that are, or due to being terrorists, can buy a fake ID in California, Texas, Arizona, and probably many other states in the nation. If a fake ID is something you need and/or want, believe me, you'd know how to get one. There are people all over the US, probably there too, that will make something for the buck, and some of these fake IDs are pretty darned good in that they are really real...many using the info from dead people.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· 7ADSA_en

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

And all of what you said is known to the gummint. They know that ID's can be faked and obtained fraudulently. Even a RFID placed under the skin at birth could be faked/substituted.

There are also gummint agencies (CIA etc) that fake ID's themselves. That's the reason I never recorded the license plate of Bob's vehicle when he visited. No point. It'd either come up as invalid or in the name of some fake person(s)/organization.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

BTW I assume that you can't, or don't want to, move from Hawaii. I've moved countries several times including to one where I didn't speak the language. Amazing how many people never move from their neighborhood of birth. Each to his/her own I suppose.

I spent a large part of my youth living on an island (not my choice) and frankly I don't want to do it again.

FYI I've also lived next to the sea. My siblings can't bear to be far from it. I'm a landlubber

I didn't grow up in Hawaii but in the Deep South of the Mainland. There are folks here who have not only stayed in the neighborhood/town where they were born but who ALSO have NEVER left this island in their lifetimes. It amazes me that they have never been even to Honolulu). I was stunned, a few years ago, to make a new friend who had just turned 39 and was planning to leave this island for the first time to visit a friend who grew up here but was living outside San Francisco and was very ill. She spent no time seeing the sights while in California. I know many here who have been outside Hawaii ONLY to visit Las Vegas. They have no interest in seeing any parts of the Mainland...they just want to gamble and gambling is illegal in Hawaii (no State sponsored sweepstakes even) which is one reason I remain here.

Everyone said I would get "cabin fever" even on the Big Island...but I haven't...maybe I still will some day. Yes, negative ions in the air I breathe everyday healed me years ago and have kept me in good health. I didn't growup in a coastal area, but I did live in Daytona Beach for a year between Master's degree and PhD and I loved living on the beach!
Mele20

Mele20 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I think this guy wished he had gotten a fake one then!

»hawaiitribune-herald.com ··· ans.html

I hope that doesn't happen to me...but then I will not be renewing close to the expiration date on mine since it expires 7 years from now and I have to switch it to the Real ID before Jan 15.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I didn't grow up in Hawaii but in the Deep South of the Mainland.

Wow. Scarlett O'Hara to Magnum PI. Bit of culture shock there

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I think this guy wished he had gotten a fake one then! »hawaiitribune-herald.com ··· ans.html

Welcome to the wonderland of bureacratic reality:
quote:
Three years ago, Cubie Lee Maddox, now 70, had his ID stolen. To establish his identity he brought to the driver licensing office in Hilo on Monday a notarized statement from his bank and another from the Superior Court of Santa Clara attesting to his name change. To change his name in California, Maddox said, he had to have his birth certificate.

Maddox said he can’t get his birth certificate unless he goes to California. He can’t get on a plane to California unless he has a valid ID. He can’t get a valid ID unless he gets his birth certificate.
Maddox tried to explain these things to the driver license examiner. “We need your birth certificate,” the examiner was overheard saying.
The examiner suggested other papers, but nothing that he had was allowed by state law. “I’m only doing my job,” she said.
The really sad thing is that this happens not only in Hawaii... it happens whenever the Federal bureaucracy and its regulations collide with state bureaucracies and their regulations. Maddox's parting comment sums it up nicely:
quote:
“Stupid, man,” he said. “We have stupid people running this country.”