drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Dissembled

Re: Help Me Spec a Laptop for My Wife

If she's storing stuff off the laptop, just replace the HDD with a SSD. She's worth it, right?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
said by drew:

If she's storing stuff off the laptop, just replace the HDD with a SSD. She's worth it, right?

I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable replacing a drive in a laptop, but it is a possibility because she has a 1TB and 2TB external. The only real data that she needs HD space for is photos and videos which are easily offloaded to the externals.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
It's dead simple so long as you have OS install disks.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by drew:

+1. I've done laptop HDD swaps several times--they are always easily accessible with minimal case deconstruction.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to drew
said by drew:

Unfortunately, that would be the one problem then. This laptop didn't come with a Win8 OS disk. You think I could contact Sony (I doubt I'd get far with the retailer) and get one?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Every laptop comes with an ability to burn system restore DVDs. I would burn two copies ASAP and keep them in a safe place.

They will only be available from the manufacturer at cost.
Expand your moderator at work