how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yurimaster

join:2009-09-28
Alexandria, VA

Looking for a free/open source mail server for windows

I didn't have luck with Xeams mail server or hmail server. I can't afford to spend money on a commercial server like IceWrap. I have a gaming clan call Lowlife Division which is a none profit. I would like my admins to have their own email address such as admin1@lowlifedivision.net
Hoping for someone to shine some info of some good IMAP SMTP that doesn't cost.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

hMailServer »www.hmailserver.com

yurimaster

Alexandria, VA

Like I mention, hmailserver didn't work for me.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

1 recommendation

There are tons of open source mail servers for linux. Any chance having a small linux machine or build a virtual linux machine on top of windows?

Also did you look here? »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison···_servers

yurimaster

Alexandria, VA

I live in an apartment with very limited space. I got one big gaming pc and a server. My server runs 2008 R2 as the main os and I got hyper v that runs another server 2008 R2 as a virtual OS. I don't mine running a virutal linux os but hyper v doesn't support the common linux OS. It's just more work to try and find another visualization platform and so on just to run a mail server. Thanks for the link with all the mail servers for windows, I'll do some research on them.

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

I have Ubuntu running as a VM under Hyper-V just fine. It's most definitely supported. Not sure if by "common linux OS" you're perhaps referring to something else more specific.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

yurimaster

Alexandria, VA
reply to yurimaster

I decided to go with hMailServer and use the built in local database and it's working fine. I can't use MySQL because it's 64bit and it seems that hmail doesn't like it.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to yurimaster

how many admins are in your group?

or

how many total email addresses do you need?

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

reply to yurimaster

Are you sure your web/domain host you already use doesn't offer a few SMTP addresses that you could set up to forward to each person's personal account? Seems like a lot of hassle for such a small server need.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by jester121:

Are you sure your web/domain host you already use doesn't offer a few SMTP addresses that you could set up to forward to each person's personal account? Seems like a lot of hassle for such a small server need.

I agree.

Why not look at Google Apps free? You get your own domain, the Gmail interface, and its 100% free.

»www.google.com/intl/en/enterpris···ing.html

Free for up to 10 people.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

bingo, that is why i asked how many people he needed accounts for.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by tomdlgns:

bingo, that is why i asked how many people he needed accounts for.

Yup....

Running your own email server these days in a home environment is really unnecessary. So many free alternatives out there.
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to tomdlgns

You may create "personal" account for any service (or a person), that asks your mail address. Then, if they start to spam you (or sell your address to other spamers), it's easy to block only them. That's exactly how I manage accounts in my personal mail server. And BTW, if you use your own mail server, when online store sends a confirmation mail, containing your address, last 4 digits of CC you used to make purchase, price, product name, merchant name, etc. to your account, it goes directly to you and is not stored in Gmail or Yahoo or other similar provider, that like to analyze and store them for their own use. It simply comes directly to you. There is no MITM, that always wants to watch you.

So, running your own mail server brings a lot of benefits, protects your privacy and dramatically reduces spam that you may get.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by OZO:

You may create "personal" account for any service (or a person), that asks your mail address. Then, if they start to spam you (or sell your address to other spamers), it's easy to block only them. That's exactly how I manage accounts in my personal mail server. And BTW, if you use your own mail server, when online store sends a confirmation mail, containing your address, last 4 digits of CC you used to make purchase, price, product name, merchant name, etc. to your account, it goes directly to you and is not stored in Gmail or Yahoo or other similar provider, that like to analyze and store them for their own use. It simply comes directly to you. There is no MITM, that always wants to watch you.

So, running your own mail server brings a lot of benefits, protects your privacy and dramatically reduces spam that you may get.

Depends on how paranoid you are I suppose.
--