Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

Rogers new Cell plans - what a joke

It's good that they're finally offering unlimited calling and texting, but WTF is up with that pricing? And I love how they've eliminated the 1 or 2 year contract options for the "Talk, Text and Internet" plans - you've got to be monthly, or on a 3 year term.

»mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/31/roger···t-plans/

»mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/06/compl···ber-7th/

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Yeah, it's not really worth buying any contract phones now.

But this is what people wanted. No one understands ECF's, so now those of us who understand the word "subsidized" are going to get it.

I am hoping that the BB10 is a good device, and that they'll be with Wind Mobile, because it will be like "Rogers, c-ya later!"
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to bt

Those numbers mean nothing, it's all about getting a deal.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to bt

These prices are insane. And still none include basic Caller ID... What a joke...

Not everyone cares for voicemail, but I'm sure everyone wants Caller ID to see who's calling them.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

said by HiVolt:

These prices are insane. And still none include basic Caller ID... What a joke...

Not everyone cares for voicemail, but I'm sure everyone wants Caller ID to see who's calling them.

Caller ID should be included in every cell plan. Who the hell wants to see "Unknown" every time someone calls? The worst part is it costs like 7 or 8 bucks to add it.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to HiVolt

Caller ID is a free service/add-on in Asia/Middle East...
Fork over $$ in N.America. I am not sure about EU.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I mean, in this day & age, its retarded really that its not included as a basic feature.

Just a pure example of profiteering.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to Pesterd

Caller ID is included in the US with all wireless carriers.

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to bt

Why does this surprise anyone? Canadian cell companies only see consumers as cash cows to milk dry. I don't have a cell, and at these prices and terms, I certainly have no plans to get one anytime soon.

Expand your moderator at work

pulp46
Premium
join:2003-01-28
reply to bt

Re: Rogers new Cell plans - what a joke

When Rogers says "Unlimited Messaging", does it mean pix too?

bt

canada

said by pulp46:

When Rogers says "Unlimited Messaging", does it mean pix too?

Yes.

pulp46
Premium

Wow, my plan charged me something like 3$ a pic after the first 5 or so. Thank god for iMessages, I don't bother sending pix/video to Blackberry/Android contacts. LOL

bt

canada
reply to bt

The new plans are live on the Rogers website, if you want details straight from them rather than from blurry photos.

»www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal···fls=true

bt

canada
reply to bt

Looks like Bell and Telus are jumping on the bandwagon:

»mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/07/bell-···55month/

»mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/07/telus···le-data/

Bell's are about the same as Rogers', but with 10 hours of Mobile TV.

Telus' cost $5 more, but come with VM and Caller ID instead of it being an extra like with Rogers and Bell (also family calling, call waiting and conference calling).

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to chgo_man99

said by chgo_man99:

Sure but AT&T likes to charge $20 a month for unlimited text messaging. Aside from the two year contracts, American offerings from the big carriers are pretty much on par with what we have in Canada now.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to bt

said by bt:

Telus' cost $5 more, but come with VM and Caller ID instead of it being an extra like with Rogers and Bell (also family calling, call waiting and conference calling).

Call waiting and conference calling are also standard features on Bell and Rogers.

bt

canada

said by yyzlhr:

Call waiting and conference calling are also standard features on Bell and Rogers.

True, but the big ones are still call display and voicemail.

pulp46
Premium
reply to bt

Rogers wouldn't auto-upgrade me on those free Messages deal, eh? LOL Meaning, I could start sending pix and video to people on Blackberries via text and not be charge for going over my allotted 5 or whatever it is, maybe 10. I don't see why not, every plan now has Unlimited Messages from what I see. Currently, I'm on the 6 Gig for 30$ plan + the smallest phone package you can have. I don't use my iP5 as a phone, maybe 40 seconds a month on air, I use it as a computer.

bt

canada

Auto-upgrade? No. But supposedly you can opt-in to them.

Call and find out.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to pulp46

said by pulp46:

Rogers wouldn't auto-upgrade me on those free Messages deal, eh? LOL Meaning, I could start sending pix and video to people on Blackberries via text and not be charge for going over my allotted 5 or whatever it is, maybe 10. I don't see why not, every plan now has Unlimited Messages from what I see. Currently, I'm on the 6 Gig for 30$ plan + the smallest phone package you can have. I don't use my iP5 as a phone, maybe 40 seconds a month on air, I use it as a computer.

You need to change your plan in order to get free text and picture messaging. Alternatively you can subscribe to the Canadian text version of the $16.79 value pack to get that feature.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to bt

Just thought I'd share the comment I posted to the Red Board since I'm sure they'll remove my comment as it speaks too much truth.

RogersNicolas,

If I may jump in here -

If you consider competition to be Telus, Bell and yourself perhaps, even then on some plans they can easily match it.

In terms of competition in general, big fat NO. $95 for wireless in this day and age, you’ve got to be kidding. And notice Canada is the only G8 country with wireless prices this high.

In terms of features:

Hardware protection – Don’t care and Apple provides a warranty for iPhones
Phone finder – Don’t care and again Apple and others provide this feature
Rogers Anyplace TV – Don’t care
Rogers One Number – Don’t care and besides that no longer a Rogers Wireless customers for reasons I’ve already stated

So I’m sorry if my tone is strong and that marketing is your job but these rates and plans are junk and I suggest management goes back to the drawing board on this.
»redboard.rogers.com/2012/introdu···t-114816

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to bt

"Competition" at it's finest.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to mlerner

Rogers will never care to be competitive until they post a net loss in wireless customers and when their profit margins start to slip. Ranting on the rogers blog will do nothing. If people want rogers, bell, and telus to change they need to switch to the new entrants. The big guys do not see the new entrants as threats as their strategy is to position themselves as a premium service and target consumers who see value in paying that much for wireless.

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

said by chgo_man99:

Sure but AT&T likes to charge $20 a month for unlimited text

Old grandfathered customers can keep old $5 200 text plan or $10 1000 plan. They can do that even after upgrading phone and renewing contract.