uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to FaxCap

Re: The new $20 bills are out

While I understand that people who live in "BC" might be considered a bit weird....and maybe "out there", but unless I missed today somehow, the new bills aren't out until Wednesday, Nov 7th, not the 6th .

As someone in the industry I was a little confused as I don't expect people to be using the new $20's at my work until at least tommorrow, and its a staggered rollout so it will take some time to get all the "old $20's" out of circulation...

Just reporting the facts, new bills come out tommorrow, not today .

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to FaxCap

I miss the $50 that had a circle of RCMPs on horses on the back.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Now THAT'S a bill design I wish they had kept!

Tkavil

join:2010-07-22
kudos:1
reply to FaxCap

Ohhh, that's the Queen on the bill still! For a second I was thinking that they made the switch to the Green Giant..

Expand your moderator at work

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to FaxCap

Re: The new $20 bills are out

All in all I think it's quite ugly. I don't think the $100 is too bad but
this $20 is very bland.

FaxCap

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Last Parade

said by Last Parade:

said by neochu:

said by urbanriot:

I like it too... but I don't like how multiple bills of this new type of money can get stuck together.

They apparently have a very low melting point too...

So that wad of money in your pocket becomes a soupy gelatinous mess on a hot day.

Is the sun shining in your wallet? Are you having trouble keeping your body's internal temperature stable?

In other words store your money where the sun don't shine

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

In that case, ALL of your bills will be brown!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to FaxCap

The design on the $20 was revealed ages ago, why is everybody so surprised now?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

RTfM2010

join:2010-07-07

Bitching and complaining about something one has little to no control over is an elevated art form. Maybe this will speed up the race between the "paper-less" office and the "cash-less" society.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by RTfM2010:

Bitching and complaining about something one has little to no control over is an elevated art form.

I didn't realize you lived in North Korea as your english is quite good.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by peterboro:

said by RTfM2010:

Bitching and complaining about something one has little to no control over is an elevated art form.

I didn't realize you lived in North Korea as your english is quite good.

Another quality non-joke from peterboro See Profile.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by Last Parade:

Another quality non-joke from peterboro See Profile.

More evidence of a reading comprehension deficit if you thought that was an attempt at a joke.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
reply to FaxCap

Coloured money I like.

Plastic bills undecided.

Actual designs..... well it's the government, I don't actually expect them to have real artists.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I like it too... but I don't like how multiple bills of this new type of money can get stuck together.

You mean exactly like new cotton-paper bills?

TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

unless you're planning to frame your money and hang it in your living room.

I know someone who does that...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

In that case, ALL of your bills will be brown!

Brown? Those are the hundreds.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to FaxCap

I don't think they look that bad, it's only cash.

As long as their more durable than the paper ones and somehow it ends up costing less money to produce them (hopefully through a longer lifespan) then I'm cool.

I mostly debit/credit cards anyways. I leave a bit of cash in my wallet to make it easy to split a tab if I need to, or in case of emergencies. There's actually been a few times where some electronic system was down and I was the only one who had cash and got stuck paying the bill. On 2nd thought maybe its time to abandon cash

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
reply to FaxCap

Any of your bank notes that you don't like, please send them to me! I will ensure that you never see them again!

dennilfloss
Liberal And Loving It
Premium
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON
reply to dragonfly

said by dragonfly:

The queen is the leaf-man's loincloth.

This. Maudit que ce billet est laid!

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to FaxCap

Ecxept for the H shaped white sections on the bill, it doesn't look that bad. Are those white blocks necessary for security? Because they make the bills look really bad.
--
Impeach Obama and tie up government for next 2 yrs

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

Oh yes, the area around the maple leaf and the band with The Queen and the Peace tower (Parliament) are transparent.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to highwire2007

said by highwire2007:

said by zacron:

WOW. I thought the 100$'s were ugly but this sincerely takes the cake.

The focus group probably saw a bunch of imaginary sexual imagery (remember that story from the previous bank note designs?), and they had to send it back to the drawing board. Yeah, it looks like it was designed by a committee.

See?

»www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/20···hic.html

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Seems like off hand comments. It's only a famous war monument with some statue boobies.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to FaxCap

I've got one of these in my wallet last night. Didn't get it from the ATM I stopped at, got it as change from a Dagwoods.

It's green. It has the queen on it. It can be exchanged for goods and services. Good enough for me.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to FaxCap

What is being lost in all the fretting about the aesthetics is that the damn things don't work in vending machines -- at least, a lot of them won't read the bills properly and have trouble with their slippery thinness. Story was on CBC today, and it seems a lot of machines are going to have to be retrofitted.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to FaxCap

Know what doesn't work in vending machines either? Current loonies or loonies. The loonies with the rough maple leaf circle on the front, and the toonies with the text on the circumference. They changed the metal so the magnetic signature and weight is different. They'll fix it eventually.

Personally, I'm more inconvenienced that loonies and toonies don't work in vending machines than $20 bills, since vending machines that take bills are VERY rare in Canada.
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

We have one at work that takes bills, but really, who wants a machine to spit out $18 in $2 coins as your change?
--
Tom

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Know what doesn't work in vending machines either? Current loonies or loonies. The loonies with the rough maple leaf circle on the front, and the toonies with the text on the circumference. They changed the metal so the magnetic signature and weight is different. They'll fix it eventually.

Personally, I'm more inconvenienced that loonies and toonies don't work in vending machines than $20 bills, since vending machines that take bills are VERY rare in Canada.

Not in Toronto, where they are in many subway stations and dispensing tokens.

There are also several in our local hospitals, changing bills for coins for the parking gates.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to FaxCap

I don't count a change machine as a vending machine, it's not selling you anything...

I don't think the subway pass machines in the metro take cash (could be mistaken). Most people use interac/visa on them, it seems.
--