LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: [IE] Tried to update to IE8

Thanks for the info. The error msg was listed in my start of this thread...black screen,etc.
The only things to backup are Documents,Pictures(the 'cat' that is on my desktop) and Favorites.
Did the Fixit thing...all it stated was that some Update components were in the wrong place...or words to that effect...which doesn't make any sense at all...anyway, whatever was in the wrong place is supposedly fixed. I don't know if it was fixed or not.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to LadyL

MVM

to LadyL
Go to Start - All Programs- Accessories - System Tools and use Windows Easy Transfer to backup your stuff. It should let you store it on DVD's. I use external Hard Drives or USB Flash Drives. After you reload Windows, use Windows Easy Transfer to put it all back.

I also like to do a second backup where I just copy the separate Data Folders to another drive.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Sorry, but my Vista Home Basic doesn't have that Windows Easy Transfer option listed.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
So it does appear that the Fixit thing did something. Have you tried to re-install IE8/IE9, and if so, did it work?

Sounds like you don't have a lot of items to backup. As far as the "cat" on your desktop, that is probably a picture in your pictures folder.

--Brian

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Click for full size
No, haven't tried to install IE8 or IE9...too 'chicken' to try atm...might do it when pogo really changes their ClubPogo homepage...until then, I'll just stick with IE7.
Actually pogo is the only website that I use that is telling me to upgrade to IE8.
The 'cat' is the only thing that I have in Pictures...don't do 'real' pictures, music or anything else that most people 'save'...I've had my 'tomcat' as my desktop picture since 2001.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to LadyL

MVM

to LadyL
You can download and install Windows Easy Transfer.
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=14179

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
Can you try installing it in Windows Safe Mode?

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL to billaustin

Premium Member

to billaustin
Thanks for that link...but I have no intention of going to Windows 7...I like my Vista Home Basic.
LadyL

LadyL to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Nope...have never used Safe Mode for anything since I got this computer in 2007.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

The reason I suggested that you may wish to try it, is because if something is preventing you from installing IE8 or IE9, it's usually due to something being loaded at normal startup. Windows Safe Mode will insure only the bare minimal is loaded which could end in a successful installation of IE8 or IE9.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to LadyL

MVM

to LadyL
Windows Easy Transfer is a tool provided by MS to make migration easier. It also works for reloading your files on the same version of Windows. Almost every newer version of Windows, except Vista Basic (and the Windows 7 equal), comes with it already installed.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies.
Staying with IE7 until I have to upgrade to IE8.
I've jotted down all the links,etc. that were provided.
Closing this now...will let you all know what happens when I do decide to upgrade to IE8 or IE9.