uniqs

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Montreal has no mayor: Tremblay resigns due to corruption.

For the first time in 72 years, Montreal has no mayor. Gérald Tremblay resigned yesterday after revelations that his party had been taking massive bribes from the construction industry for years (several percent on construction contracts was funnelled to the mayor's party). Quebec law gives the city council 30 days to pick a new mayor (elections are not until November 2013).

It's also the first time in history the mayor of Montreal has ever resigned. It leaves my borough (Ville Marie) without a borough mayor, since the mayor of Montreal is automatically the borough mayor of Ville Marie.

»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

Someone else will just take the bribes instead. This is Quebec we are talking about!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Now if we can get the rest of the executive committee axed, then all arrested, and finally put to a firing squad, well, life would be one step closer to being peachy.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Not surprised that he stepped down, but I am surprised that he stepped down before Vaillancourt, Laval's mayor.

I bet there being a lot of new faces before the end of next year, as it seems like almost everyone with more than a few years in politics is getting their names connected one way or another.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

2 recommendations

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Yup.
GeoStar
join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5

GeoStar to Guspaz

to Guspaz
if he goes on to mob politics he could get 10 times as much no ?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

He also could get 10 times the lead:
"Montreal man with Mafia ties killed in front of his home" »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 4913822/

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

All I'm hoping is that his passport is seized so that he doesn't suddenly leave the country with bags of OUR money.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Guspaz

to Guspaz
What do you mean it doesn't have a mayor? It has a deputy mayor.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to milnoc

Anon

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

All I'm hoping is that his passport is seized so that he doesn't suddenly leave the country with bags of OUR money.

I don't think he can be touched due to laws. In addition, the laws state if anything does happen to someone in office, the tax payer pays all legal/court costs.

There is already someone else being investigated and we are all paying for his legal team. Sky is the limit.

In addition, anyone/everyone who is "singing" at this corruption commission won't be facing anything. "Anything they state can't be used against them in court". So everyone talking and pointing fingers is getting as much as possible off their chest since whatever they state can never be used against them.

Everything they did
Everything they took
Everyone they met
Everyone involved
Every minor crooked detail

Can't be held against them.

There are a couple of lawyers trying to fight this though, but it will go no where. The law is the law. In addition, it would cost the tax payer millions since we are on the hook to pay all legal fee's for elected officials.

Since Tremblay and the Laval mayor haven't taken the stand, maybe stuff can be used against them. But where will it go?

Or if they do take the stand, then anything they say can't be used against them.

It's in everyones best interest to sing like a little rat (rats sing!). If they don't, then stuff could come back and they can face time and fines.

Anyone recall the city of Montreal's plans to install water meters in everyones home? The mob controlled the meters inflating the costs 10,000% it was found out and the project scrapped. Now it's on the table again.

How can the mayor claim to know nothing? heh

But, every business is run like this in Montreal. Not just construction. I can tell you some stories with some fed MP's back in the days when I worked Northern Telecom (Nortel).

It all runs deeper than the little surface scratch we are seeing here.

And if anyone thinks their prov or city isn't the same... I can only shake my head.

dsa
@bell.ca

dsa to milnoc

Anon

to milnoc
Hahaha and Ontario is clean , you have the world most richest mob in the province , difference here the sicilians weren't smart enough to hide what they are doing.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by dsa :

Hahaha and Ontario is clean , you have the world most richest mob in the province , difference here the sicilians weren't smart enough to hide what they are doing.

Nobody said anything about Ontario, and "you have the world most richest mob in the province" doesn't make any sense.

dsa
@bell.ca

dsa to dsa

Anon

to dsa
Because they have good control , it make sense since with all they have they can make anything go unnotice.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Last Parade

MVM

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

What do you mean it doesn't have a mayor? It has a deputy mayor.

The deputy mayor's primary role is to attend parties and events that the mayor is unable to attend. He's vested with the powers of the mayor in these circumstances, but must be replaced within 30 days according to election law.

Nonetheless, he is not the mayor, he is the mayor pro tem, a city councillor charged to fulfill the mayor's duties (not title) until a mayor is chosen.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
here in London, many are calling for our mayor to resign as well, after allegations he used federal tax payer money to pay for his son's wedding in 2005.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to GeoStar

Premium Member

to GeoStar
said by GeoStar:

if he goes on to mob politics he could get 10 times as much no ?

oui!
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

brian mulroney inquiry solved nothing but cost the taxpayers more....the purse full of money is wide open and too tempting....the rest of the provinces are not far behind, same sh*t just a different pile

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Guspaz

to Guspaz
He was merely a puppet.
Next puppet will take his place.
TigerLord

TigerLord to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

Not surprised that he stepped down, but I am surprised that he stepped down before Vaillancourt, Laval's mayor.

I've lived in Laval for 21 years.

This guy has MILLIONS stashed away.

La Presse reported Vaillancourt was resigning this week.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to hm

to hm
said by hm :

And if anyone thinks their prov or city isn't the same... I can only shake my head.

Never heard of anything even remotely ever going on in Peterborough the likes of the cesspool that is Quebec and some of its municipalities.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to hm

to hm
said by hm :

[And if anyone thinks their prov or city isn't the same... I can only shake my head.

Bull!!!

I've said this twice already here....a friend of mine sold to the
construction industry in all of Canada except the Maritimes for 30
years! He says NO PROVINCE was like Quebec when it came to
corruption. He couldn't sell a box of nails in PQ without a kickback to
someone.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Never heard of anything even remotely ever going on in Peterborough the likes of the cesspool that is Quebec and some of its municipalities.

Nor have I in Niagara, and I do all sorts of work right now for various construction companies in the region.

If the best people in Quebec can come up with is "it happens elsewhere" they're living with their heads up their asses. It doesn't happen anywhere even remotely close to that level anywhere but in Quebec. End of story.

dfw
@bell.ca

dfw

Anon

If you look you will see that the mob is well into Canada , there is no law for being in the mob , the difference in Quebec is they didn't hide it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I've heard of homeowners being harassed/threatened by roving construction crews on the construction holiday for daring to perform home renovations during that period.

For those that are unaware, the construction is a set of two 14-day statutory holidays for only the construction industry. Between the two it covers 28 days, although it may overlap some existing statutory holidays.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Wow, that's funny, I have not heard, or witnessed that.
And yes, 2 sets of 2 weeks of statutory holidays. That doesn't bother me as much as no night work EVER on our worse-than-3rd-world-country-roads.
Our freakin' int'l airport highway has been under construction for how long now? How much longer? Slated to be finished in 2016?
The best, absolute best is the length of time to complete a perimeter highway. 30+ years, slated to be complete this year.
WTF?
Nothing will change until such time the thieves are tarred and feathered then sent packing.
I was in a good mood, I swear.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

That's a new one for me too. I've never heard of such a thing.

I have however heard of people trying to conduct renovations without the proper permits, sometimes resulting in disastrous consequences.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 21uyUdog

You often see unauthorised construction happening during weekends, because the city inspectors don't work on weekends.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
The construction holiday is pretty stupid as a lot of these guys work only seasonally. Who needs two weeks off in summer when you only work half a year?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

That doesn't bother me as much as no night work EVER on our worse-than-3rd-world-country-roads.

The combo of unions and crime organizations destroy progress in cities faster than anything else possibly can.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dfw

Premium Member

to dfw
said by dfw :

the difference in Quebec is they didn't hide it.

Bzzzt wrong. Aside from the fact that Quebec and its municipalities have always been and still is the most corrupt political entity in Canada, the mob and the politicians did try to hide it - it's just that no one in Quebec was any good at it.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to dfw

to dfw
said by dfw :

If you look you will see that the mob is well into Canada , there is no law for being in the mob , the difference in Quebec is they didn't hide it.

Sooner or later next province will come out..