Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D

Re: Android support for WoW???

said by Nick D:

This is a huge technical challenge, because Android is Java-based, and the Mac and PC clients are C++-based. So you'd either need a huge rewrite, or one helluva translation layer.

Given that playing a hotkey MMO without a bunch of hotkeys (meaning a keyboard), a tablet version of WoW seems not super useful.

The tablets and even cell phones support bluetooth. A keyboard and game mouse could probably be connected. IIRC Android is a Google variant of Linux.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

The kernel is Linux (or linux-like), but its APIs are all Java-based.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
I use a keyboard at times with my nexus 7. Also, I've read that people have used a usb hub to connect keyboard and mouse to the device. I guess they didn't have a blue tooth keyboard/mouse sitting around the home.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 edit

Gork to Nick D

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

The kernel is Linux (or linux-like), but its APIs are all Java-based.

I appreciate you bringing this up because the information is interesting to me. I didn't know Android was based on Linux, as pandora See Profile advised, and actually feel a little bit let down to learn this.

However, at least according to Wikipedia, its APIs are written in C:
quote:
Android consists of a kernel based on the Linux kernel 2.6 and Linux Kernel 3.x (Android 4.0 onwards), with middleware, libraries and APIs written in C and application software running on an application framework which includes Java-compatible libraries based on Apache Harmony.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An ··· _system)