spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Shoppers Drug Mart stops (for now) playing Xmas music

I say good. I'd prefer they wait until December, but I'll tolerate it after Remembrance Day.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/ ··· 023.html

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Old news, I heard this on Nov 2. They started on Nov 1 and they got complaints right away.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Nothing special. Next Hallmarkday starts as soon as the previous one ends.
So it's Christmas and New year on Nov 1, Valentine's day on January 1st, Easter on February 15, Canada Day on the following day of Easter, Back to school stuff on July 2nd, and Halloween on at the end of August.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to bt

Premium Member

to bt
said by bt:

I say good. I'd prefer they wait until December, but I'll tolerate it after Remembrance Day.

I'm on the same page as you. I'm a huge fan of Christmas cheer but I'm not a fan of what feels like people pushing Christmas on us.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by bt:

I'm on the same page as you. I'm a huge fan of Christmas cheer but I'm not a fan of what feels like people pushing Christmas on us.

Starting after the 11th is good.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to bt

Mod

to bt
This is one situation where the US has a leg up on us, as it seems to me that their retailers don't get a huge Christmas push going until after their Thanksgiving (with the usual Black Friday sales etc). It's bad enough when it starts right after Remembrance Day, but on All Saints Day (aka All Hallows Day, aka Nov 1st)? That's going a bit far.

Then again, the Christmas tree/paper/bows/etc aisle has been set up at Costco since mid August.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to donoreo

to donoreo
IMO, December 1 , bring it on!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bt

Premium Member

to bt
LOL... at first I thought it was some other religious group that complained...
GeoStar
join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5

GeoStar to bt

to bt
mmmm no they are playing rob zombie now ....

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to bt

Premium Member

to bt
A lady at my wife's work was apoplectic over the planned departmental "Holiday Party" including a gift exchange (note: all religious references have been sanitized from their holiday traditions in that workplace). I guess she's Muslim and feels this holiday is being imposed on her (in spite of the fact there is nothing religious in their celebration of it). So she started yelling at her coworkers in a staff meeting where the planning came up and left the room crying. Like I said, accommodation has already been made for non-Christians by sanitizing all religious references out of their Christmas workplace stuff.

So I started wondering what would happen if Christians (or anyone else religious who isn't Druid -- or whatever group started what is now Halloween) started making a huge fuss about Halloween. I mean, realistically, there's as much "religion" in modern Halloween traditions as there is in modern Christmas celebrations. I'm talking about in public (workplace, malls, etc.), not private traditions that could, indeed, be very religious.

Would everyone bow to pressure about Halloween like they have with Christmas? I'll bet not.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Styvas:

I guess she's Muslim and feels this holiday is being imposed on her

You guess she is or she really is?

If she really is, it's the first time I've heard someone relay a story of a person of another religion being unhappy over "Christmas"; almost always it's non-religious or overly sensitive people that are worried about groups they don't belong to.

Almost always the sanitizing efforts are implemented by scrooges with no religious affinities.

I'm a scrooge until December 1st.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

I believe she is. Her objection was religious of a non-Christian variety. I think my wife said she was Muslim.