uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

[Connection Sharing] Suggestions for cheap fiber connection to t

I have two houses on the same block (farm land) that cannot get high-speed internet and I'd like to see what the approximate cost would be to service them by sharing my connection.

I have already looked at using wireless and the trees in the area are too tall and too much brush meaning I would need 3 120ft+ towers to get LOS. This is currently unworkable and too expensive... ($20k for new towers)

One house is 1/4 of a mile away while the other is another 1/4 mile further along or 1/2 mile from the starting position.

I see I can get fiber converters for about $25 to $75 (100mb to gigabit) but what I don't know which fiber optic and connectors to use for such a setup.

I figured I would daisy chain the connection so I would need about 1/2 mile of cable I would add on an extra hundred feet or so for twists turns and I would need to walk it out with a wheel to get the exact distance.

I would need outdoor bury-able cable with two strands minimum for duplex operation.

From this point I'm completely lost.

Anyone have any suggestions or wisdom to throw my way?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Re: [Connection Sharing] Suggestions for cheap fiber connection

If you think $20k is high, you're going to have a heart attack when you see the cost for 1/2 mile of multi-strand, single mode, buriable cable; plus cost to trench and terminate it. This is not something you can do yourself -- fiber termination takes a great deal of training and practice.

Wireless is still your best, cheaper, option. You can always cut down a line of trees. (same thing power companies do when they run a new line.) Play around with Ubiquiti's AirLink tool (here) They sell 900MHz, 2.3,2.4,2.5,3, and 5 GHz systems. The last time I used it (a few weeks ago), it did not include the 2.4G RocketDish.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Aranarth
Father in law and brother in law are power lines men so equipment is not a problem. cost of that would just be time and fuel to bury the cable.

On other hand a 900mhz is exactly what i'm looking for since I can't get los and 2.4ghz attenuates way too fast though brush.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Linemen aren't fiber techs, and at least around here, very few have a "ditch witch" (99% of power lines are above ground.) You'd bury a fiber conduit, not a bare fiber jacket.

You could also go with LRE (long reach ethernet), or DSL repeaters -- "ethernet extenders".

You could have your in-laws string whatever from the utility poles, but the first time anyone else sees that or has to fix anything, it'll probablly be removed. (and a tidy fine show up.) I've thought about this route myself to get broadband over a creek to my grandparent's house (where my aunt now lives) -- I'd only be attached to 3 poles.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Aranarth
I found this: »www.rfwel.com/shop/Outdoor-Long- ··· dge.html

Basically its 900mhz wifi instead of your usual 2.4ghz or 5ghz signal.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction I had no idea such things existed.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Aranarth
I found this: »www.gnswireless.com/GNS1130.htm

They don't have a price listed but I found somewhere else that said they were quoted about $1k for the setup.

Thats much more in line with my budget.

I have emailed them for more details and a price quote.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to Aranarth
Check out this article - I think everything in it would work for you except that you'd need to find someone that could make you the required lengths of fiber with the proper ends on them. When I was looking for information on something like this the longest I could find online was 100 meters (328 feet). If you can find someone that will sell you correct longer lengths with the ends already attached, just run a length from the first house to the second, and put a switch there that will take two SFP modules (at least). Then run a second length of fiber from there to the last house.