HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to vikingisson

Premium Member

to vikingisson

Re: Sagemcom VDSL in bridge mode?

It works as a PPPoE bridge simultaneously, as you've discovered. I just disable the DHCP as well as wireless to be sure.
vikingisson
join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson

That's what it seems. I did turn off wireless. All I want is a dumb modem and not this pedestrian all in one crap that we're forced to rent. Oh well, let's see if it can stay online this time.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by vikingisson:

That's what it seems. I did turn off wireless. All I want is a dumb modem and not this pedestrian all in one crap that we're forced to rent. Oh well, let's see if it can stay online this time.

Unfortunately this is what we're stuck with. It works fine in bridge mode with the router initiating PPPoE.
vikingisson
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson

That's the way it is. The problem is probably not related to the modem. It is funny however that the modem doesn't have a proper clock, it always starts out like a dead unix box until it gets online. It does however remember the MAC of previously connected devices, but not the time. Not a business class device.
vikingisson

vikingisson to HiVolt

to HiVolt
It's now been 8 hours since the new reset and so far there hasn't been a new log entry on the sagemcom. That's a good thing.

The nerve racking but fun part was doing it all remotely this time. Hoping that I'd get back in to make the final settings. Modem reboots to default, router behind it gets back online and sets up the VPN, I get back in to look back at the modem. Make final changes and hope I get back again.
It went very well so now we wait. I'll start feeling better if it is stable for 7 days in a row.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Yea I have a business with this modem in passthru mode, for a long time now, and its never missed a beat, I would know if it was resetting.
vikingisson
Mississauga, ON

vikingisson

said by Inssomniak:

Yea I have a business with this modem in passthru mode, for a long time now, and its never missed a beat, I would know if it was resetting.

Then you're lucky. I don't think the modem is the problem at this location but the modem is still a poor business device. The issues I'm having are somewhere upstream and after trying every DSL option there I don't think it will ever be stable. The next change will be something other than DSL. I just have to wait for the boss to want to pay one more time for a line. Or have it fail a few more times during business hours. It failed about 9 times in the last 24 hours but fortunately not during business hours. It's only a one minute cycle when it happens but that's enough to disrupt.