LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni

Re: [IE] Tried to update to IE8

Did the link, did everything as recommended...BUT...after 25 min of 'configuring updates,etc.'...got the 'updates were not configured correctly. reverting changes'...and that took almost 1hr.
I am now finally back to using my puter...I had even gotten out my system restore disks, which I didn't want to use at all...nothing is backed up(Docs,etc.).
I didn't use the MS Forums except to hunt for my problem, sorry.
Anyway, I'm still on IE7.
There has got to be something fubared on my system that isn't letting me upgrade to IE8 !
I use MSE and WFirewall...are they supposed to be disabled during the download/install of IE8? I NEVER disable any security software when downloading things.
Any other ideas?
BTW, I did try FF...too confusing to me - did uninstall FF wherever (Registry,etc.). If I can't solve this IE8 install problem, my last resort is Chrome

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by LadyL:

... I had even gotten out my system restore disks, which I didn't want to use at all... nothing is backed up(Docs,etc.). ...

Before you get a lot older, I'd strongly urge you to backup your data in some reliable way. Independent of this particular issue, there's just so many bad things that can happen to good data (or drives) that it only makes sense to take this as a wake-up call! While a bit OT to installing browsers, please take this as an on-topic caution about data security and preservation...

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thanks. All I need to do is figure out how to make a backup of what I need,etc. (what software program to use, what stuff I should backup).
Guess I've been lucky...12 years of using a computer without ever having made a backup. *knocks on wood*

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by LadyL:

Thanks. All I need to do is figure out how to make a backup of what I need,etc. (what software program to use, what stuff I should backup). ...

The simplest thing is to just copy the relevant files to a large enough USB thumb drive, at least as a stop-gap solution. Beyond that, there are a wide variety of imaging and backup programs (some free) that can give you easier, better backup protection down the road. Generally, I think of imaging as something one does for an entire drive, whereas backup usually consists of just certain files (usually data, eMails, graphics, and/or settings). I do both. But for you, the key is to do something as soon as possible, and to redo it from time to time (depending on how current your backup of files needs to be to fit your own situation).

edited to add: Also, a key factor is to make sure the backup/image exists on a drive or media separate or external from your normal system and data drive(s). Putting them in a separate partition on the same physical drive is no protection if the drive fails. At least an occasional image/backup should be made to external media kept physically separate from the system... or to the "cloud" via something like Carbonite, if you're into cloud usage (I'm personally not).

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Interesting. All I need is the stuff I keep in my Documents(dvds listed...126 tv series and 3000+ movies). That's basically all I would need to save. The rest of the stuff I already have printed out and can just re-type as folders>data,etc.
I have all my Favorites - websites,usernames,passwords,etc. written down also...and those can also be re-typed. Or can those also be backed up?
I would only use a dvd for the backup...have no use for a USB stick.
Comments?
I know this is all OT, but that's just part of what I need to know if I have to do a clean wipe/install cuz something is not letting me install IE8 or IE9.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

In answer to your question about what to back up, its actually really easy.

You're on Windows Vista, which is like Windows 7 (which, I'm running).

I would make sure you make a backup of the contents of the following directories
Note: xxx = your username

Documents
•C:\Users\xxx\Documents

Music
•C:\Users\xxx\Music

Pictures
•C:\Users\xxx\Pictures

Videos
•C:\Users\xxx\Videos

Bookmarks (Favorites) from IE
•C:\Users\xxx\Favorites

Desktop (in case you have items other then shortcuts stored there)
•C:\Users\xxx\Desktop

That should be about it. Unless you have a local e-mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc) that you would have to worry about in regards to a local copy of your e-mail and or address book.

If this was a one time deal, I would copy all that info to a directory somewhere, so you could figure out the total size. Then, either burn that to DVD(s), or copy to a USB Flash drive.

Hopefully it does not come down to you re-installing Windows Vista to fix your problem with the upgrade of IE. I've been reading this thread, but have not been paying that close attention to your specific issue (wanted to give you some advise on what to backup).

So, I'll go back and re-read it all, and see if there is anything I can suggest that has not already been suggested.

Good luck!

EDIT:

I did some looking, and I found this KB article on Microsoft's site

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2409098

Most of the things listed there you have done already, and have not worked. However, Method #6 may be something to try.
quote:
Method 6: Run the Fix it solution to automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update

It looks like you can click a button and it will run some kind of check on your system to figure out what is wrong.

Normally, I'm not one to have a web site "Run a check and fix problems", but since this is directly on Microsoft's site, I feel a little safer running something like that.

So, give that a try, and see what it reports.

Finally, when you do try to install IE8 or IE9, do you get any kind of error message on the screen? What about any items in the event logs (Errors, Warning, Critical)?

--Brian

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. The error msg was listed in my start of this thread...black screen,etc.
The only things to backup are Documents,Pictures(the 'cat' that is on my desktop) and Favorites.
Did the Fixit thing...all it stated was that some Update components were in the wrong place...or words to that effect...which doesn't make any sense at all...anyway, whatever was in the wrong place is supposedly fixed. I don't know if it was fixed or not.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to LadyL

MVM

to LadyL
Go to Start - All Programs- Accessories - System Tools and use Windows Easy Transfer to backup your stuff. It should let you store it on DVD's. I use external Hard Drives or USB Flash Drives. After you reload Windows, use Windows Easy Transfer to put it all back.

I also like to do a second backup where I just copy the separate Data Folders to another drive.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Sorry, but my Vista Home Basic doesn't have that Windows Easy Transfer option listed.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
So it does appear that the Fixit thing did something. Have you tried to re-install IE8/IE9, and if so, did it work?

Sounds like you don't have a lot of items to backup. As far as the "cat" on your desktop, that is probably a picture in your pictures folder.

--Brian

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Click for full size
No, haven't tried to install IE8 or IE9...too 'chicken' to try atm...might do it when pogo really changes their ClubPogo homepage...until then, I'll just stick with IE7.
Actually pogo is the only website that I use that is telling me to upgrade to IE8.
The 'cat' is the only thing that I have in Pictures...don't do 'real' pictures, music or anything else that most people 'save'...I've had my 'tomcat' as my desktop picture since 2001.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to LadyL

MVM

to LadyL
You can download and install Windows Easy Transfer.
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=14179

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thanks for that link...but I have no intention of going to Windows 7...I like my Vista Home Basic.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Windows Easy Transfer is a tool provided by MS to make migration easier. It also works for reloading your files on the same version of Windows. Almost every newer version of Windows, except Vista Basic (and the Windows 7 equal), comes with it already installed.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thanks for all the replies.
Staying with IE7 until I have to upgrade to IE8.
I've jotted down all the links,etc. that were provided.
Closing this now...will let you all know what happens when I do decide to upgrade to IE8 or IE9.