sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired

Re: Steam room progress

Understandable. The Wedi board in my project required some quite wide special washer fittings to distribute the load that the tile added.

I'm thinking you might have to find a way to put pressure on your tiles on the ceiling until the thinset hardens so that gravity does not pull the tile away. Must be a way to solve that if it is, in fact, an issue. It may just stick and work.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I've tiled many of ceiling using thinset. Have to be more careful with the mix, but when you get it right it works fine. Make sure to tile the ceiling first. The ceiling should have had the cement board applied first also. Too bad it wasn't.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

To get support from the wallboard along the edges?
PSWired

PSWired to sempergoofy

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

I'm thinking you might have to find a way to put pressure on your tiles on the ceiling until the thinset hardens so that gravity does not pull the tile away. Must be a way to solve that if it is, in fact, an issue. It may just stick and work.

Supposedly it'll just stick. I believe it, given the stickyiess of the thinset I'm using. Still, I've got visions of 18" tiles falling onto my head during installation.

One internet guy says to backbutter the tiles and use the zigzag side of the trowel to make circular marks on the tile like a bullseye. Supposedly that makes the thinset act like a suction cup and hold the tile up better while the mortar cures.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to PSWired

Mod

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

To get support from the wallboard along the edges?

Yes

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Whoops.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

Supposedly it'll just stick. I believe it, given the stickyiess of the thinset I'm using. Still, I've got visions of 18" tiles falling onto my head during installation.

One internet guy says to backbutter the tiles and use the zigzag side of the trowel to make circular marks on the tile like a bullseye. Supposedly that makes the thinset act like a suction cup and hold the tile up better while the mortar cures.

That's interesting on the bullseye concept. In the worse case scenario where you find they really do need pressure, sandwiching plywood over an area and supporting it with tees (or a drywall lift if you rented one) until it dries is my only idea. I really hope it just sticks for you. I've never tiled with anything bigger than 4x4, so 18 inches sounds pretty heavy.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

PSWired

Time will tell, but I don't think the tile size should really matter since it's all corrected based on surface area. Same pressure for a given tile type.