biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog

Re: [Business] [POLL] Do you have the new 15/3 or 27/7 business

I have done this in the past and you will only be charged for the time you use each specific tier. So if you use it for one day, the 50/10 tier will cost you $3 extra over the 27/7.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by biomesh:

I have done this in the past and you will only be charged for the time you use each specific tier. So if you use it for one day, the 50/10 tier will cost you $3 extra over the 27/7.

Was this residential or business class? I'm not sure if the same applies, being in a contract and all. But still a great idea, going to give them a call now.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Let me know what you find out.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
With residential they like to charge $2 change fees. With business class you can change tiers with no extra charge. Just as long as you retain business class service, you are okay and will remain in contract. Just call in and talk to a tech rep to see what your options are.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

So he said I can bump to 50/10, but they will charge my $6+ (so I'm paying for both.

He then went on to ask me what the problem was, and he said something like "the DNS server is not set, I will enable that and it will fix your problem".

Naturally, it didn't fix the problem. Then he asks where I'm testing from and I tell him various mirrors and he tells me "engineering requires you to test from speedtest.comcast.net to get an accurate speed result". SIGH, and I was just talking about how the business class support reps were more knowledgeable.
pflog

pflog to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
Click for full size
50/10 downloads are normal
said by ropeguru:

IO graph from the 50/10 profile. A few minor blips, but basically working properly.

Yet MORE evidence that the 27/7 profile is FUBAR. Now when will Comcast admit it?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

He then went on to ask me what the problem was, and he said something like "the DNS server is not set, I will enable that and it will fix your problem".

I've gotten that same advice too, and also have been told that the SMC gateway will not even work unless you enable its DHCP server, and that the SMC gateway's 1-1 NAT was the only way you could use your static IP addresses.
said by pflog:

Naturally, it didn't fix the problem. Then he asks where I'm testing from and I tell him various mirrors and he tells me "engineering requires you to test from speedtest.comcast.net to get an accurate speed result". SIGH, and I was just talking about how the business class support reps were more knowledgeable.

While the ratio of real techs to script readers is better with business class, it's still the luck of the draw when you call for support.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

But yet they advertise as a "Business Class" service, charge business prices yet will not treat you like a business customer.

Typical of Comcast.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

SpaethCo to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

While the ratio of real techs to script readers is better with business class, it's still the luck of the draw when you call for support.

There was a noticeable drop in quality of rep when they centralized business support. The local Minneapolis support team was awesome, back when they existed.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by pflog:

I've gotten that same advice too, and also have been told that the SMC gateway will not even work unless you enable its DHCP server, and that the SMC gateway's 1-1 NAT was the only way you could use your static IP addresses.
said by pflog:

that's not even remotely correct - you can use true static mode with static IPs. Your static IP is routed thru the modem. It's a standard config

WheatRidgeCO
@comcastbusiness.net

WheatRidgeCO

Anon

said by JohnInSJ:

said by NetFixer:

that's not even remotely correct - you can use true static mode with static IPs. Your static IP is routed thru the modem. It's a standard config

This is TRUE for STATIC IPs, EVERYBODY, all you need to do is set Disable Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only / Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection on the firewall page, and then
use YOUR OWN ROUTER, and Do not use DHCP to get IP address from the SMCD3G, put in the REAL STATIC IP address in YOUR ROUTER, and the SMC will pass all traffic straight thru. (This way your only NAT'd once, as long as you set that up inside YOUR OWN ROUTER. Not that hard to setup traffic rules inside Cisco routers, and almost any security appliance with NAT cabability will work well. We let windows assign DHCP addresses on the LAN side, the Cisco/Security appliance only needs to know what the
address range is. We do not let the Cisco/Security appliance divy out DHCP addresses, even though it can. In a Windows-Server enterprise its better to let it keep track of DNS/DHCP that way it keystones everything and integrates better with Active Directory.

Another thing I do at our office is this :
I connected a cheapy Netgear wireless router directly to one of the 4 ports on the SMCD3G, and I set it up to get a DHCP address from the SMCD3G 10.1.10.X address and I let guests that visit our office use the netgear for internet access, and that keeps them off of the LAN side of our Cisco PIX thus securely on the otherside, just like any other internet user would be. This also makes a nice way to test Cisco VPN Tunnelling software inside our office, thru the Cisco firewall.

There is one more great benifit of setting this type of IPV4 setup, if you ever change providers, then you will only need to make minimal changes IN YOUR OWN ROUTER. all internal IP's would never change, thus no more changing the entire enterprise's IP addresses, as you would keep the NAT'd IPs that you setup in your OWN ROUTER. Change your domain records, update your DNS records, change the static IP in YOUR OWN ROUTER. and the whole change to a new provider would be done quickly.