Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Cell phone tower locations in Canada

said by HiVolt:

said by DKS:

LTE is useless to me and all of rural Ontario. It is not deployed outside of urban centers. Typical of the telcos.

And the same was with 3G when it came out. I'm not defending the telco's, but it's obviously more important to roll out newer services in the larger population centres, to get faster return on investment. Just like you moan that there is no faster DSL than 5meg in Owen Sound... Same deal.

LTE will come to the entire footprint like 3G eventually did.

I remember a few years ago just driving to the cottage and I checked my iPhone 3G in an area where it was only EDGE just a week before, and suddenly 3G was on my phone. And 3G stayed all the way up to the cottage.

Thank you for raising that. We are still on 5 meg DSL, with no future plan for higher speed, to my knowledge. In fact, the local Chamber of Commerce is very upset at all the providers for giving such shoddy service to this whole area.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by DKS:

We are still on 5 meg DSL, with no future plan for higher speed, to my knowledge.

Same deal here in Fort Erie, 6Mbit max with no plans for anything faster. A Bell field tech I talked to say they "eventually" would upgrade it, but when I asked him what eventually meant he laughed and said that could mean decades. It is beyond frustrating.

No LTE "here" until you get north of Lyon's Creek in Niagara Falls, but I've never thought LTE was anything worth crying about as far as smartphones go. HDPA is plenty fast for a mobile phone.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Thank you for raising that. We are still on 5 meg DSL, with no future plan for higher speed, to my knowledge. In fact, the local Chamber of Commerce is very upset at all the providers for giving such shoddy service to this whole area.

Isn't there a cable company up there? Rogers? No internet via cable offered?