spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wco

@sbcglobal.net

[Bill] HSI-only pricing in South Bay Area

So I keep getting various offers in the mail all the time. I'm a more or less satisfied customer of Direct TV along with Uverse data.

Used to have Comcast about 10 years ago, when they couldn't even produce 6 Mbps/1 Mbps speeds that Uverse advertised. When I would call, they said there were no speed guarantees and that there was nothing wrong with their lines.

But it's hard to ignore now claims of 20 Mbps down (but how fast Up?) at $29.95 for 6 months.

And what is the normal pricing after 6 months? Also I now they used to charge like $15 more a month if you weren't a TV customer.

Anyone subscribe only to HSI in the SCV? What are your speeds like and what are your regular bills?

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

3 edits

We got an offer a couple months ago that we took up. HSI only Performance tier for $19.99 first year and $34.99 2nd then regular pricing. 1 year contract required. Without bundling internet, after the offer is over it's usually about $62ish per month depending on area. Try to see if that offer is available in your area.

- Note: Not in your state but just giving my feedback .

If you use their rental modem then that's $7 more per month.

Our neighborhood has been getting a lot of good offers for the past year lol. Before that performance offer we got a triple play offer. If I remember correctly, it was $89 first year and $109 2nd for HD preferred TV, Blast internet, and unlimited home phone.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to wco

I do not live in your state but I do have Comcast HSI only in my state of Maryland. I subscribe to the 12/2 tier of service and own my own modem, so I do not have to pay rental fees.

My service fee is $62.95 per month. Comcast charges me an extra $15.00 per month because I do not subscribe to their cableTV.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Darknessfall

Hi,

How are your download/upload speeds?

Was that deal written somewhere, like a mailer or some web site?

JimGill1

join:2004-06-03
San Jose, CA
reply to wco

I just switched to this same promo after being a PacBell/SBC/AT&T DSL customer for more than 10 yrs.

I've got Internet only and it's $29.99 for the first 6 months, then switches to $44.99 for next 6 months and then regular price of $62.95 per month. You're free to cancel without penalty at any point.

The monthly bill is exactly $29.99, no taxes or fees and no penalty for not having cable TV (I was surprised about this because that wasn't the case for quite a long time).

Speedtest shows 25.48Mbps down, 3.81Mbps up, but these sorts of tests are not very accurate.

Interestingly, it's hard to really tell that the speed is better than the 6Mbps I had on DSL, mostly because web surfing is so quick anyway that fractions of a second aren't too noticeable.

Of course file downloads are much faster IF the site you're downloading from supports it. I've found that most file sites only go about 50% faster than what I could on DSL. But download something from Microsoft or Adobe or other sites with big pipes and I see well over 2MB/sec.

So far I'm happy with the service but after the $44.99 period is over I will probably rethink staying with Comcast.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to wco

My downloads are about 25 Mbps and 3.4ish Mbps upload during boosts. I used to have 3.9 Mbps up but something happened where it likes to stop at 3.2 or 3.4 most of the time now lol. 16 down/2 up during non boosts. Speed varies by area.

The performance tier that we got was received in the mail. The triple play offer was given to us by people coming to our neighborhood and going door to door handing out little ads.

@JimGill1
The penalty for not having cable TV comes in after your promo ends. That's the $62.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to wco

Well, up here in Mendocino County, which is part of Comcast's North Bay Network we pay $72.95 a month for Blast! (25/4, 35/6 with Powerboost) without Cable TV, we have Directv for tv service so they ding us 10 more a month. Before Comcast took over from Adelphia here, HSI was the same price whether you had cable tv or not.

Edit-This is what I see in Redwood Valley (9 miles north of Ukiah) 24x7-

I'm 170 miles north of San Jose by the way, not 50 lol

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to wco

I wanted to PM you because this is a Comcast forum, and my comment is in a different direction than Comcast. But anonymous posters can't be PMed, so, at the risk of being OT ...

That is ADSL2+ from Sonic.net, LLC; their "Fusion" product. But it requires that your copper is fed from a CO (not an RT, or VRAD), and that there is a Sonic.net DSLAM in the CO. If upload is important, you can request Annex M, which sacrifices some download speed to get more upload speed. Also, to get at least 6Mbs requires the loop length be no longer than 6,500 feet; on 9,156 feet I was getting 4.8Mbs, but the posted speed is on a 3,300 foot loop.

Price is $39.95 a month, plus the usual telco taxes and fees, and includes long distance and local calling. For tax purposes, they itemize the bill as $19.98 for voice (taxes & fees extra) and $19.97 for "data" (Internet, no taxes or fees). They do not offer tiers for Fusion; one price fits all. And the price is not a promotion.

You might not qualify; friends and family I've checked for are behind RTs, and can't get it.

»www.sonic.net/solutions/home/int···/fusion/

My apologies to the Comcast regulars, but I thought the OP might be interested in another possible choice.

For the OP: Registration on this site is free, and you won't get spammed on your registration email address. And registered uses can use the PM system, and even edit their own posts.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

av9116

join:2001-12-17
South San Francisco, CA

^^
Don't forget the new modem rental fee for Sonic, in which the total bill is almost $60 per month.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit

said by av9116:

^^
Don't forget the new modem rental fee for Sonic, in which the total bill is almost $60 per month.

Actually, I did intend to mention it. But the only drawback I see is that it isn't optional. It is still lower than Comcast's own modem rental fee.

BTW, what I get from Sonic.net includes DNS for my domain ($1.95 per month), and one static IPv4 IP address ("/32"), with delegation of rDNS (free). What would I have to pay Comcast for that?

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wco

@sbcglobal.net
reply to NormanS

Hi, I've been checking to see if Sonic Fusion is available in my area and it hasn't been for over 2 years.

So it doesn't seem likely to happen. Plus, I got rid of my landline earlier this year.