uniqs

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

[bug] Chrome browser - thread reply issue

When in FF or IE I can use the scroll bar on the side, however I cannot use it in Chrome. When the message area gets filled I cannot scroll down with the right hand bar to see what I am typing. However when adding a new thread I do have access to the scroll bar on the side.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

W7 or W8?

Just did it in W7 ok?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
I have had the same problem for a while. Win7. It happens if the bottom of the textarea happens to hit the bottom of the viewport. If you hit tab to get to the command buttons, you can get it to scroll...but if you go back to typing the bottom of the textarea aligns to the bottom of the viewport and scrolling does not work.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Mike, it's W7... and it has to be a substantial amount of text, enough to where it reaches the bottom.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

IE and FF OK... sounds more like its a Chrome problem not adhering to standards and trying to create their own.

Think you should be bitching at them not here.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

IE and FF OK... sounds more like its a Chrome problem not adhering to standards and trying to create their own.

Who said I was bitching?

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by NOCTech75:

said by Hayward0:

Who said I was bitching?

You seemed to imply it was BBR fault not Chrome following the rules.

Again even much flawed IE OK and FF clearly the software not the environment problem.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

said by NOCTech75:

said by Hayward0:

Who said I was bitching?

You seemed to imply it was BBR fault not Chrome following the rules.

Again even much flawed IE OK and FF clearly the software not the environment problem.

This wasn't a problem until about a month ago. I have a suspicion it's a glitch/feature in whatever AJAX/javascript they're using for the comment editor page. I haven't run into this particular problem on other sites with Chrome.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

OK so two fold but that absolutely not an issue wlth horrible IE or clean FF... its likely Chrome not doing things quite right.

Again I don't see a reason to ask a provider to correct a user end PROPRIETARY software problem.

Like M$ (though still widely used) learned of breaking the rules with Front Page for their own interests.

The world said FU to site must be accessed by IE.

And actually it was the hurting vendors who (potential users saying NO WAY IE) caved long before M$ did.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

Since the problem (at least for me) is *only* occurring on this website, and was not previously a problem, then it there is an exceptionally strong likelihood the problem is with the website, not the client browser. I've done more than enough web development to spot likely issues in the source. That doesn't mean that Chrome couldn't be to blame as well...but a site needs to look into reports of functional issues nonetheless.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

OK

But then again why not the two biggies.... ONLY Chrome? (and I might add also Google Android too no problems)
Nor the Dragonians either...no Safari complaints too.

Gee ONLY Chrome, wonder what that might mean? A Chrome problem or maybe more likely a local install issue??

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
I get this same problem with Chrome. It only happens sometimes, but when it does, refreshing or going back and trying again doesn't fix it. I usually just hit the preview button and it works on the next page.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
When I make replies to posts here I'm experiencing a bit different problem. But it's somehow related to vertical scroll bar too. See thread: Vertical scrolling with latest Chromium while editing posts. I still see it even now, running latest Iron (v23.0.1300.0).

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Found something else... if I use the qreply button and then quote long text it doesn't do it, I can use the side scroll with no problem. It just does it when I use reply and then quote the long text.

biggbrother
Premium Member
join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI

1 recommendation

biggbrother to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
I am also seeing this problem in Chrome Version 24.0.1312.52 m.

This also causes the screen to jump and stutter dramatically when the text entry box gets filled and the page cannot move down because of this bug. It is highly annoying and highly disruptive. I use dozens of forum websites and I have not encountered this problem until I returned to DSLR (after a long hiatus).

And Hayward0 See Profile you do realize "the customer is always right" don't you? The fact is that this website needs users/visitors in order to generate revenue. If a popular web browser isn't playing nice with the site because of the way the site is coded, then it needs to get fixed or people will go to sites where no such problem exists.

People do not care whether it's Google's fault.. or Microsoft... or Mozilla. They just want it to work like it does everywhere else!

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
Just want to toss out that I've also been getting this issue periodically with Chrome and thought I was going crazy. I can live with it, but if someone's already got a thread dedicated to it I figured I might as well put my feedback out there.

FallenAnjel
join:2011-04-07
East Cupcake

1 recommendation

FallenAnjel to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
Add me to the list!!! I apologize for not searching first because I posted a new thread so I will delete that one

I'm using Chrome Version 25.0.1364.152 m with Windows Vista X64 on a 4-yr old Gateway M7301m. I have all updates installed. I only use Chrome and have not tried any other browsers for this forum. I have the same problem only when replying to posts not making new posts (except this time, the scroll bar works fine). However like the OP said it's intermittent.

The reason it bugs me is because I can't stand the text box at the extreme bottom of the screen, I like it in the middle but also I can't see my text when it goes below the bottom of the screen.

This is also the ONLY website that it happens on, however I'd have to try another website that uses the EXACT software to see if the problem can be duplicated and that likely will never happens so IDK if it's a Chrome or DSL reports problem.

Of coure according to the posts from personnel from DSLReports it looks as if it will never get fixed so oh well.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
If anyone in this thread is interested, I did find a relatively simple work-around and posted it in a more recent thread...

»Re: [bug] Vertical scroll bar not working when replying to topic
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
Chrome sucks.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

2 edits

1 recommendation

Hayward0 to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
And bottom line it seems to be Chrome not playing well with others.... no IE, FF, or Safari folks have been chiming in me too here now have they?

Tried Chrome and was THOROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED on both PC and Android Googles own platform it should be flawless on.

And another Chrome screw up here and again with Googles own product.
»Cannot go back to search results with Google with Chrome so they don't even play well with themselves.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

DC DSL to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
I suspect there's either a conflict between autoresize.jquery.min.js and another script or CSS that's what's borking the textarea on Chrome. I've run into this on a few other sites and they all traced it to an error in the script or the stylesheets. This was a common problem with FF betas 5 or so years ago. Every. Single. Build. Until they got to the RCs (though that was because their parsers generally just croaked and bailed on bad input instead of at least attempting to gracefully exit).