how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

miketavares

join:2000-12-10
North Dighton, MA

Postini Defeated?

Anyone here using Postini to filter their company email?

Have you noticed an increase in the amount of SPAM not being caught? For the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed an ever increasing rate getting through. Then starting yesterday we have been buried with spam FORGED from APPLE.COM, DISCOVER.COM, admin@variousdomains.com, EFAX(and these were being blocked before today), and several others.

At last check before I left the office today we had about 20 of these spam make it to over 700 users each. Needless to say the users are not very happy. All of them have their personal setting at 5's across the settings so it is not like they have set them too leinient, and 99% of the users don't have a personal whitelist, and those that do, none of these domains are whitelisted that I can see.

I have created manual rules for the time being to stop them. But I am thinking something is not right, of course Google is MUM on the whole thing with there standard answer of we don't discuss what gets caught and what doesn't.

There is always the possibility that this is a targeted attack, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen an increase so I know which way to pursue it.
--
I need to put something unique here.... HMM can't think of anything....

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

Spam filtering is a constant cat and mouse game. Spammers are continually trying to find ways around the filters, while the filters are continually being updated to try to block new spam.

Give it a little while and you'll probably stop receiving those emails once Google adjusts their filters.

miketavares

North Dighton, MA

I realize that it is a cat and mouse game. Just concerning to me is identical spam sent 2 weeks ago was being caught and the same spam (from the same servers as 2 weeks ago) is sailing right on through now, so Google either broke their filter, or the spammers have found another way around it.
--

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

said by miketavares:

so Google either broke their filter, or the spammers have found another way around it.

Postini is blocking 300K+ emails per day here, still trucking without a sudden hole opening up. There has been no decrease in blocking over the last month according to the logs and people not complaining.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

miketavares

North Dighton, MA

1 recommendation

reply to miketavares

After battling with Postini all week, They have acknowledged the issue is on their end and they are working on resolving it, and that I am not the only customer seeing an increase in spam getting through.

--