spc
uniqs
littlesnub
join:2012-11-06
Cleveland, TN

littlesnub to godsmacked92

to godsmacked92

Re: [Availability] Previous owners had dsl I can't get it going

I am told there is no list. I call almost everyday. Some reps tell me even if someone moves I can only get their port if I go to their house get them on the phone with me and have them transfer the account to me. I even said to one of the reps that told me this " do you hear what you are asking me to do? Would you go to someone's house you don't know and say I want your dsl?" Every rep I talk to at ATT has a different story. I don't think we will ever get it. The guy who turned the phone on yesterday was supposed to come and check out the dsl lines and no one came. The rep said get the phone service and they will check for dsl lines without paying 150 bucks. No one came. I called ATT twice to verify that they would do this. I am so disgusted.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by littlesnub:

Some reps tell me even if someone moves I can only get their port if I go to their house get them on the phone with me and have them transfer the account to me.

This brings new meaning to the word BS. You should demand to speak to a supervisor immediately when anyone says something like that to you.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to littlesnub

Premium Member

to littlesnub
said by littlesnub:

Every rep I talk to at ATT has a different story. I don't think we will ever get it.

Does your area have UVERSE?? If so you will probably get DSL.
Pretty much where UVERSE is available they have stopped selling DSL and will not allow upgrading existing DSL.
littlesnub
Cleveland, TN

littlesnub

No, there is no Uverse here. Just dsl.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER

Premium Member

If anyone can get you dsl service it would likely be the At&t techs in »AT&T Direct....

Post your name, address, phone number and that you would like dsl service, and that the previous owner had dsl service there.. and you have been unable to get it.

[An alternative is to visit here: »www.dslextreme.com/dsl/r ··· idential ... as they resell At&t dsl services...]
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to littlesnub

Premium Member

to littlesnub
said by littlesnub:

I am told there is no list. I call almost everyday. Some reps tell me even if someone moves I can only get their port if I go to their house get them on the phone with me and have them transfer the account to me...

Very funny. AT&T doesn't allow "moves" to alter the name (owner) on the account. I couldn't move into my townhouse and keep the DSL line the previous owner had. Back then, however, AT&T (then Bellsouth) didn't play these BS games with "no ports available" -- I'm 100% certain this is a complete lie; they don't want to turn up legacy DSL and will claim there's no ports available. (someone should get their PUC invovled.)

Note: if I canceled my DSL line today, it would never be reconnectable. They'd hang an iNID for Uverse. (and charge me for my previously included static IP)
littlesnub
Cleveland, TN

littlesnub

Thanks for the reply, but I don't know what a PUC is. No one knows when Uverse will become available here. My guess is not for a very long time. You are talking maybe 15 houses and not everyone has dsl because of the limited ports. I guess what you are saying is once someone cancels they plug the port and you have to wait for Uverse . But my guess is that could be a minimum of 5 years. Why not get the money or the dsl? I have had 3 reps say that they would escalate the request and then no one gets back to me. Gee, my Dad worked for Western Electric/AT&T for 42 years. He's probably looking down on all this and shacking his head.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

PUC = Public Utility Commission.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

Very funny. AT&T doesn't allow "moves" to alter the name (owner) on the account. I couldn't move into my townhouse and keep the DSL line the previous owner had. Back then, however, AT&T (then Bellsouth) didn't play these BS games with "no ports available" -- I'm 100% certain this is a complete lie; they don't want to turn up legacy DSL and will claim there's no ports available. (someone should get their PUC invovled.)

When I tried to get my first BellSouth StandAlone FastAccess circuit, I had to wait several months for a port to become available (and I had to wait for about a year for my first line-shared DSL circuit when I lived in Nashville), so BellSouth did indeed play the "no ports available" game. These days with AT&T wanting to kill traditional landline service totally, there is certainly some room for skepticism about their motives, but historically the "no ports available" excuse has been valid.

As for involving the PUC, Tennessee doesn't have a PUC that regulates phone service, and their TRA has no jurisdiction over DSL service, only voice services are regulated (and these days that regulatory power is somewhat limited).
littlesnub
Cleveland, TN

littlesnub

Thanks. I guess all we can do is try everyday and pray a line will open up.
dcbag
Premium Member
join:2009-07-02
Portland, TN

dcbag

Premium Member

Call Dish Network and ask about their new Satellite internet!