uniqs
share rss forum feed

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

[Autos] American Suzuki Motor Corp to file for bankruptcy

Well, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. With poor sales, and vehicles which are often virtually non-existent in "comparisons", it was only a matter of time before it was time to pack it in. American Suzuki Motor Corp (Suzuki USA) will cease selling automobiles in the USA and will file for bankruptcy. They power sports division will continue (motocycles, ATVs and marine products).

With the US division gone, I wonder how long Suzuki Canada will last. They officially said it will be "business as usual" up here, but Canada isn't a very big market for Suzuki, and I can't imagine they can stay afloat if Suzuki USA couldn't.

»www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nb20121107n2.html
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Not very surprising. They made unremarkable cars with spotty track records and a non-existent dealer network.

Kardinal
We will remember them
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dirtyjeffer
I had a 1990 Swift 4 door (like a 2nd generation Geo Metro, but with a 4 cylinder engine which came go the Geos in later years) that I swore by, not at. The dealers came and went, but the car went for years with minimal costs. Their cars now aren't in any way remarkable, aren't a great deal in terms of price, and aren't really paid attention to because of the first two problems.
--
"Pro amicis mortui amicis vivimus" (We live in the hearts of friends for whom we died)
the inscription on the Memorial in the Canadian War Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Netherlands

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
I had a 1991 Chevy Sprint 3 cylinder for 7 years and it was very reliable. It was my first new car.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Mike2009:

I had a 1991 Chevy Sprint 3 cylinder for 7 years and it was very reliable. It was my first new car.

LOL. I remember working on one of those in automotive class in high school. It was a vehicle donated by GM. we dismantled that thing to bare chassis literally. I remember taking out the engine block with my bare hands.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
yea, i'm not really surprised they folded, but at the same time, kind of am simply because their history...their vehicles were actually fairly decent quality, but (as mentioned) a lack of dealer support, and their failure to really step up to the plate in the last 5 years or so was their demise...their "mediocre" product (in terms of fuel economy, design/style, content/value and performance) was acceptable in the 80s and 90s (as pretty much everyone was mediocre at best), but not in today's automotive world...everyone is making top tier products, and you can often read comparison tests from 10 different publications and often find a few different vehicles taking "top honours" (as there are so many solid choices out there now)...i don't even remember the last time i read a comparison test that had a Suzuki in it.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to dirtyjeffer
In August Suzuki ranked # 32 and sold fewer cars than Porsche in the US

»www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/09/au···ngs.html

»www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/09/au···ngs.html

Suzuki US 1968 CAN 511
Porsche US 3026 CAN 251
Lincoln US 8141 CAN 525

Why did Suzuki fail:
»www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/11/wh···upt.html

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Mike2009:

LOL. I remember working on one of those in automotive class in high school. It was a vehicle donated by GM. we dismantled that thing to bare chassis literally. I remember taking out the engine block with my bare hands.

I rented one once, it was a blast to drive , cornered like a go kart but at the same time terrible in a crosswind. it felt like the original mini did

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
my mom had a 1987 Chevy Sprint (the first model of the GM/Suzuki joint venture)...it was basic, lightweight, cheap to drive and run...she got rid of it about 10 years later after it was falling apart, but to be fair, most cars from that era did after 10 years.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
The local Suzuki dealer packed up last year and was owned by the family of none other than Dean Del Mastro.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
the dealership here also owned a Saab dealer...Saab went under, leaving him with just Suzuki...to be fair, neither are big sellers...fortunately for them, they also sell motorcycles, boats and other recreational vehicles (that was what they had always done)...they really only branched into cars about 15-20 years ago...i know Suzuki Canada is still here, but that dealership sells mostly used cars...i think i have seen one Kizashi on the road...ever.
--

- George Orwell

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
The Del Mastro clan are selling trailers now.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to dirtyjeffer
Here in the states, I have not seen a Suzuki ad for a long, long time.

I try to follow the car business, I used to live in Detroit.

But I had totally forgotten that Suzuki even existed.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to dirtyjeffer
A good reason why they called it quits.

After GM dropped them, they went to bed with VW and now VW has dropped them.

»europe.autonews.com/article/2012···-the-u-s

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
VW didn't dropped them...they still own close to 20% of the company (the Japanese "corporation", not the USA affiliate that folded)...they are also the largest shareholder, therefore, technically, VW can and should be "the boss" (something Suzuki isn't happy with)...if you are going to take on a substantial financial partner, be prepared to take orders...that's how it works...you want to be the boss??...do it on your own.
--

- George Orwell

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to dirtyjeffer
Its models seemed unimpressive to me, and not cheap either. Though they still do well at home and in other Asian countries.
--
Impeach Obama and tie up government for next 2 yrs

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to dirtyjeffer
Man, I must be old now cause I hear this about Suzuki and I'm reminded of the 1981 Suzuki XJ-90 my dad had with that whopping 3 cyl. 90HP engine.

Thing only had a 4 gear manual transmission and screamed like a banshee on the highway it was revving so high (no tach IIRC so no idea how fast that poor little motor was turning) but set it loose in a rock quarry where climbing ability was needed and it embarrassed larger 4WD vehicles, including a Ford Bronco II and a GMC Jimmy that couldn't make it up a hill that the Suzuki flew up like a goat on crack.

Oh it also rusted if you looked at it funny. In the four years he had it it was a yearly ritual to deal with the rust that would develop along every seam that thing had...

NefCanuck

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
Click for full size
I picked up one about ten years ago that was wrote off by the insurance company. Cost $200 for a bumper cover and paint. It was JXL model with every option available on the Sidekicks

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Your front lawn?

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Your front lawn?

Dah. Do you see the other 14?

It's my backyard.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to koira
It never answers the question.
Expand your moderator at work

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to peterboro

Re: [Autos] American Suzuki Motor Corp to file for bankruptcy

said by peterboro:

I picked up one about ten years ago that was wrote off by the insurance company. Cost $200 for a bumper cover and paint. It was JXL model with every option available on the Sidekicks

i always like those little trucklets...i know they could roll over if you weren't careful with them, but pretty capable little vehicles to take off the beaten path...cheap too.
--

- George Orwell