All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82

[CallCentric] Changed SIP password, cannot authenticate now.

I've got a CallCentric account that I've had for a couple of years now I think. About 3 weeks ago I set up a new VPS running Asterisk 1.8 with the help of a friend. Everything was gravy and working good. However, my SIP password was pretty short (8 characters/digits long) and I decided to change the password to be a bit more complex to keep hackers/brute forcers at bay (as well as other security changes like changing default context to something non-existent, alwaysauthreject=yes, running Asterisk as non-root user...).

I logged into my CC account and changed the SIP/Phone password (not the Web password mind you) to one that is 16 characters/digits log. I read their guide on passwords and followed it (they don't mention maximum password length though) by using a mixed case letter and number password, randomly generated. I then changed the sip.conf entries to the new password (where it says register -> number:blahblahblahblah@callcentric.com and also secret=blahblahblahblah). And restarted Asterisk to be safe.

After changing the password, I cannot get Asterisk to authenticate. I've tried shutting down Asterisk for up to 20 minutes then starting it back up. Rebooted the VPS, no help.

I've got a support ticket in with them but its been 12 hours+ without any response.

Am I missing something here?

support*CLI> sip show registry
Host                                    dnsmgr Username       Refresh State                Reg.Time
callcentric.com:5060                    Y      1777xxxxxxxx        120 No Authentication
1 SIP registrations.

support*CLI> sip reload
 Reloading SIP
[Nov  6 20:20:32] WARNING[5337]: chan_sip.c:20628 handle_response_register: Forbidden - wrong password on authentication for REGISTER for '1777xxxxxxx' to 'callcentric.com'

royrogers
join:2012-10-17

royrogers

Did you change the password in Asterisk in both the "PEER Details" and the "Registration String?"

Sometimes people forget and only change one. They're both on the trunk configuration page.

If that isn't it, try changing back to the original password, both on Asterisk and Callcentric and see if that works.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh to hawk82

to hawk82
I would recommend you try and login using a softphone. That will ensure that the password is correct and that it must be a configuration issue with asterisk.

hawk82
join:2001-04-26
centralmaine

hawk82

Yep I did change it in both areas.

[callcentric]
type=peer
domain=callcentric.com
host=callcentric.com
outboundproxy = callcentric.com
register => 1777xxxxxx:newpasswordhere@callcentric.com
context=inbound-companyname
host=callcentric.com
fromdomain=callcentric.com
defaultuser=1777xxxxxx
fromuser=1777xxxxxxx
secret=newpasswordhere
dtmfmode=auto                 ; Choices are inband, rfc2833, or info
insecure=port,invite
disallowed_methods=UPDATE
directmedia=no
videosupport=no
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
qualify=yes

edit: I also have another register string in the [general] section of sip.conf (I think that might be a bad idea from security standpoint and may remove that) but I changed that password too.
hawk82

hawk82

Okay I changed the password back to the original 8 character/number password (I thought I had tried that...) and it works. So CallCentric has a maximum password length that isn't documented in the change password field. Should have left it alone. Thanks for the help guys.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to hawk82

to hawk82
said by hawk82:

Yep I did change it in both areas.

[callcentric]
register => 1777xxxxxx:newpasswordhere@callcentric.com
defaultuser=1777xxxxxx
secret=newpasswordhere

edit: I also have another register string in the [general] section of sip.conf (I think that might be a bad idea from security standpoint and may remove that) but I changed that password too.

The line "register =>..." from the context [callcentric] should not be there, you need to delete it.
The line register=>... from [general] section is used to register Asterisk to Callcentric to receive calls. If you don't expect any calls and you're using Callcentric only for outgoing you can delete it also.
defaultuser and secret form [callcentric] context are used to allow you to make outgoing calls.

Regarding SIP password, I have an account with 10 characters in password field. I'm guessing when you were trying to change it you might have got an error message and the change didn't got through.
david3
join:2000-03-21

david3 to hawk82

to hawk82
I've experienced the same problem with Callcentric. And I don't remember seeing any error in the portal when I changed the password.

I'm not sure if it just takes multiple tries or if there is something about the format/length that it doesn't like, but I suspect it's the length.

I ended up with a 15 character password that is working.
rblizz
join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

rblizz to hawk82

to hawk82
You might want to edit the subject line on your original post to reflect that this issue is solved.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to hawk82

Premium Member

to hawk82
said by hawk82:

I logged into my CC account and changed the SIP/Phone password (not the Web password mind you) to one that is 16 characters/digits log.

Maximum password length is 15 characters.