how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ZyWall Owner

@bellsouth.net
reply to Anav

Re: ZyWall 2WG vs Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

I don't have a specific functionality need that I know of. I have 3 desktops, a printer, a gigabit switch and a apple tv connected to the lan. I also have several wifi devices that are always connected. I originally purchased the 2WG because of the 3G back up and good hardware firewall. I stopped paying for the 3G card over a year ago. It worked great during storm outages (generator back-up) but now everyone has their own smart phones. My current speed is 12 Meg down. It looks like my trusty 2WG might need to be boxed up and stored for a rainy day. I hope I made a good call with the Buffalo. Anyone here have any experience with em or could recommend a solid wifi router/firewall. Thanks in advance.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by ZyWall Owner :

I hope I made a good call with the Buffalo. Anyone here have any experience with em or could recommend a solid wifi router/firewall.

You made a good call with the Buffalo. Now that you're asking I would have suggested the Netgear WNDR4500. I have very limited experience with the Buffalo and lots of experience with the Netgear WNDR4500 -- a solid performer. If money is not tight I would also strongly suggest the Netgear R6300 with the latest firmware -- a very remarkable wireless router.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Zyxel Owner

@bellsouth.net
Netgear R6300 it is. Thank you very much!

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:14
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
You would be much better off with a open-source firmware compatible router. The above mentioned Netgear WNDR4500 is on the list, the R6300 doesn't seem to be.

Check the lists here
DD-WRT »www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Sup ··· _Devices
OPEN-WRT »wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
Tomato »en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Fir ··· _Devices

The day will come when you'll get upset with stock firmware and would want to use the extra features available in 3rd party FW.

Zyxel Owner

@bellsouth.net
I hope they add it to the list at some point. I ordered it last night and it shipped out today. Also the Buffalo just came in today. I'm going to either keep the buffalo and store it in the box or give it to my brother in law. I can't order another or my Wife will have my ###.