spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON

WNDR3700 freezing and blocking all traffic.

I am having an issue with my router. I don't know where the problem is but it seems to be with the USB port access of my WNDR3700. When I transfer files to me USB stick on the router it disconnects everything and blocks all access to and from the router. No routerlogin.com or anything but all the lights that supposed to be green are green. So after I pull the USB stuck out of the router and to a full reboot it works great again. Could it be a bug in the system of the router? Does anyone else have this problem happen to them?
Re flash the firmware maybe?
My USB stick uses FAT32. Maybe the router is freezing because I am using the DLNA server?

robman50

Beamsville, ON

hmm... maybe that why they now have the WNDR3700v2, v3, and now v4.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to robman50

The USB connectivity provided by the WNDR3700 is not stable and I would strongly discourage its use REGARDLESS of which version.

robman50

Beamsville, ON

Well that sucks. That's my favorite part of the router as well as the DLNA server.
I wonder why it is like that?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

The WNDR4500 has much more stable USB connectivity so perhaps you should consider switching.

robman50

Beamsville, ON

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I wonder is the WNDR4500 a newer model of the 3700? Perhaps the next generation?
Is there any other issues with the WNDR3700 that I should look out for?

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to robman50

I'm on wndr3700 v1 using .55 firmware. I have no issues with plugging a flash drive or a usb external hard drive into the router.

It's (obviously) not as fast as plugging into a usb port, but it works exactly as advertised.

One thing you might want to do, if you are only sharing files, is disable the media server options. If they are enabled, it may be contributing to the freezing issue.
--
Ken

Chester2

join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to robman50

Make sure you have the current firmware: V1.0.7.98NA for v1 series.

The v1 models had freezing problems related to the traffic meter and USB port. I know the traffic meter has been fixed but I don't use the USB port.
--
Craig
»CraigHarris.org My BLOG on Motorcycles, Computer Stuff & Deals.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

V1.0.16.98NA is now the current version for the v1 WNDR3700, though previous versions don't pick it up as an auto-update.

Formatting your drive with EXT3 helps a lot on throughput, but I've never had the locking up problem you describe. I have a 2Tb external plugged into mine, with the media server disabled.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to robman50

I am running V1.0.16.98NA and I left the media server on and my USB stick is still sharing files and running on FAT32 and it seems to be running really well.