uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to IanR

Re: Linksys WiFi/Switch set up after Actiontec

I'd recommend the EA3500, EA4500, or E4200v1 and v2. All three allows you to use the classic firmware interface that we're all used to on Linksys routers.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to kes601
Difficult to know one has ordered a "Rev I if the specs don't say that on the order page. Then the email confirming shipment mentioned for the first time BHR3 etc....
Thanks for the clarification.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to IanR
What you ordered is a Rev I, you are seeing the "GigE" on the description, that means Gigabit Ethernet.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to kes601
That's comforting to hear. I am having trouible finding the specs to compare them.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to IanR
Rev I (which you are getting) is newer than Rev E.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR
I decided to order the newest Actiontec from Verizon online: the
MR1424WR Gig E

Now I have received notification that the following has been shipped to me: NEXT GEN BHR3 REV I ACTIONTEC 1

Quesion: Is this one and the same machine or have Verizon switched out for an earlier model on me?
Thanks.

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
reply to IanR
OK let me ask another question:

My present Modem/router provided by Verizon ias the rleiable but SLOW Actiontec M1424-WR REV E.

Verizon seem to offer the M1424WR GigE
»teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/in···yDetails

IS theis worthw hile going for and adding my own switch?

Or can I buy something better than this to replace my Actionetc?

Better meaning at least N speed perhaps dual speed?

IanR

Fort Mill, SC
I have an Actiontec Modem/router with G speed WiFi.
Quite some time ago I disabled the WiFi and instead hooked up a Linksys WRT310N and have been using it as a Switch only and it's N rated Wifi. Unfortunately this Linksys has just died...

So it's off to the shop tomorrow to pick up a new machine for use as a switch and wireless WiFi. Any suggestions on the best Linksys I should buy and how best to configure it? i.e. to disable its router functionality and use as a plain switch and Wireless WiFi?