All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cubsnumber1
join:2012-11-05

cubsnumber1

Ultra TV scheduling Issues

Ok, so I just had ultra tv installed and I won't even get into all the issues that came with that...
Let's just stick with the question I thought you guys might be able to help with.
I currently have 4 hours recorded. 6% full. I went online to try to schedule my series recordings (because I find the tv interface difficult to use) and it will not let me because its says hard drive space is getting low. Then it gives me the option to make room, which it turn still doesn't allow me to set the recording bc obviously, there's practically nothing to delete. Also note, I still get this same thing pop up on the tv, it tells me that something won't be recorded bc of space issues. (to paraphrase)

Why is this happening?? Is this just a bug? Even if I add up all the scheduled recordings it's not 75 hours (the quoted capacity). And even that wouldn't make sense, bc obviously scheduled doesn't mean it will actually be recorded. And again, I have 94% available to record....

I'm so frustrated at this point - this might be a deal-breaker for me.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue?

Thanks!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: Ultra TV scheduling Issues

Other than I had a hub replaced within the 1st few weeks, mine has been great. I'm around 40% with a 1tb expansion added.

I remember lots of weirdness when I had Comcast with Motorola DVRs, but the Ultra system seems well behaved for me.

Maybe Just_Dan See Profile can take a look at it?
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt to cubsnumber1

to cubsnumber1

What message exactly do you get when you try and add a recording?

If you have several series scheduled the ultra box will know that and have the episodes scheduled out for the next two weeks. If your record something like mythbusters that is one 20+ times in a two week period you'll have a ton of recordings in the queue.

When you try to add a recording it will look at free space + whats needed to record everything it knows about and report a possible conflict. I tend to ignore that warning.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to cubsnumber1

to cubsnumber1
My new issue is somewhat likes yours. I have several HD shows recorded and it's showing 0% full right now. No clue why.

Also I have several series recordings set up with repeats on and it's not recording the shows. I've deleted the series and started over and it still won't record. No clue why. My son likes Umi Zoomi on NickJr and we like to get a few recorded for night time watching so he calms down before bed. Oh well.
alan92rttt

to cubsnumber1
If you go to the recorded list, click option their is an option for "cancelled and deleted" click that and you can see what shows were scheduled to record, did not record and why.

You should also check the "scheduled to record" option to see if the unit is scheduling the recordings at all.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to cubsnumber1

Premium Member

to cubsnumber1
You might also want to try power cycling the gateway. Sometimes it doesn't communicate properly to the portal page, and a reboot of the gateway will resolve a communication problem. Not sure it will resolve this exactly, but it's worth a try.
cubsnumber1

cubsnumber1

Actually had them come out... (for another issue)

They gave me a new box bc they said that shouldn't be happening but it still is. (it also took them close to 4 hours to get it switched out...) It still gives me a hard drive message when I try to record anything on the actual box, but it will let me override it as long as I accept that something might not record. However I can't record anything online bc it gives me a hard drive space error.

It is obviously trying to add up everything I am trying to record, and I think that is poor programming, but EVEN then, I add up everything scheduled, and its only about 45 hours which still shouldn't be close to full.

I've power cycled everything many times.

I'm afraid this is just a limitation of the software, and there's nothing to be done. It's too bad though, because it could be a great system, but I'm not sure that its gonna work out. I mean getting a disk full error when you're at 4% capacity? That's crazy. And not being able to schedule remotely? I had gotten rather used to that with comcast and I might miss it too much.

Really frustrating.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

To power cycle you need to pull the battery too, right?
alan92rttt

to cubsnumber1
said by cubsnumber1:

I add up everything scheduled, and its only about 45 hours which still shouldn't be close to full.

Actually 45 hours of HD programming will easily fill the internal 500gb drive. IIRC its about 2.5 gig per hour for 720p content.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
said by usa2k:

To power cycle you need to pull the battery too, right?

Yes.
Just_Dan

Just_Dan to cubsnumber1

Premium Member

to cubsnumber1
said by cubsnumber1:

Actually had them come out... (for another issue)

They gave me a new box bc they said that shouldn't be happening but it still is. (it also took them close to 4 hours to get it switched out...) It still gives me a hard drive message when I try to record anything on the actual box, but it will let me override it as long as I accept that something might not record. However I can't record anything online bc it gives me a hard drive space error.

It is obviously trying to add up everything I am trying to record, and I think that is poor programming, but EVEN then, I add up everything scheduled, and its only about 45 hours which still shouldn't be close to full.

I've power cycled everything many times.

I'm afraid this is just a limitation of the software, and there's nothing to be done. It's too bad though, because it could be a great system, but I'm not sure that its gonna work out. I mean getting a disk full error when you're at 4% capacity? That's crazy. And not being able to schedule remotely? I had gotten rather used to that with comcast and I might miss it too much.

Really frustrating.

Did they replace the gateway (bigger black box with a lot of lights) or the media player (small box attached to your TV with a clock)?
cubsnumber1

cubsnumber1

They replaced the gateway (bigger box).

I am still having the same problems (11% full, gives me a prompt that something isn't going to record every time I try to record something from the tv and I am still unable to use the web interface bc of "space conflict".)

I'm still not sure the system is going to work for us, I guess time will tell. I just can't believe everyone else using it can work around all the limitations I have found.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by cubsnumber1:

They replaced the gateway (bigger box).

I'm still not sure the system is going to work for us, I guess time will tell. I just can't believe everyone else using it can work around all the limitations I have found.

There is something very unusual about that install! I hope they can resolve this fast.

If you are like me, its a pain to have to be present while things get fixed. Seems to me the Media Hub swap should not have produced identical space limitations!

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to cubsnumber1

Premium Member

to cubsnumber1

I have opened a ticket with the manufacturer with all of the information you've provided. They will be remotely investigating your gateway to see what they can find. I will let you know more if they find anything.

Smuj
@wideopenwest.com

Smuj

Anon

The trick I found with mine, is when you schedule a series or program, as the default Keep option, select As Space is Needed. Apparently selecting When I Delete, results in the message. It's as if the gateway doesn't trust you to delete programs in time for it to replace it with new ones. So far it's worked for me, and I haven't seen the message since then.
alan92rttt

alan92rttt

I can see that suppressing the message.

But I am not willing to risk the deletion of a show I have not watched yet to remove it. I'll deal with the annoyance of the message should it return. (I have not see it since I added an external drive)

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k to Smuj

MVM

to Smuj
said by Smuj :

.... "When I Delete", results in the message. ...

I've never set that option, with my 1TB expansion, I have no fear of losing an unseen show too soon. I would worry about new shows being rejected for lack of space.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to cubsnumber1

Premium Member

to cubsnumber1
This is the response I got back from my ticket with the manufacturer.

When scheduling any new programs, the DVR schedule runs in the background and factors in:
a) existing recordings on the hard drive (drives, plural, if there is an external hard drive (eHDD)).
b) recordings already scheduled for the next 12-14 days (however much guide data/EPG is left).
c) the keep settings of the programs and series already scheduled.
Either customers need to change some or a majority of series recordings to "keep" until "space is needed" or override the space conflict note.
There is no way to avoid this when scheduling from the web site however, other than to change the "keep" settings.
We also recommend changing the 'recording defaults' so that new series do not automatically go to "keep until I delete".

alan92rttt

1 recommendation

alan92rttt

Their is a problem with the scheduling system Dan.

I'll use mythbusters as an example. I have it in my series list. I have it set to "new" only. IF I look at the "to be recorded" list. Every showing is in the list new or rerun. If I look at the "cancelled or deleted" list every showing that is a repeat shows as "did not record repeat". The cancelation seems to happen at the point when the show would record.

I have several shows that have multiple repeats across the week. My "to be recorded" list is full of them. My bet is that the space calculation looks at all of the repeats.

IMO the repeats should not be scheduled. This would probably cut down on the number of "this may not record" messages.