RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House

[WIN8] restoring to factory win7

i upgraded my laptop to win8, but I need to restore it back to win7. apparently f8 or any f key for that matter wont kick me into booting from the cd. how is this done in windows 8?
--
| map your city |

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08

When I installed the Win 8 release preview, I had trouble booting off ANY CD/DVD whether it was linux or an installer disk, etc. I finally had to disable booting off the HD completely and just enable cd/dvd boot only in the BIOS, and that worked. I don't know what the issue was.. This was on an Asus laptop...

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
reply to pcdebb

Just verify your bios setting has the CD as the first entry in the boot priority order.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

RW8

@rr.com
reply to pcdebb

Nothing to do with Windows 8.

You might need to hit ESC or F12 or F2 on POST screen. Or go into BIOS and set order to CDROM first...

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb

yea, well that's the thing, I'm trying to get to the BIOS to set the boot order. I tried all the F keys to get there, no dice. i'm trying to reset the computer back to win7 to give to my brother's kids. I've got a netbook now and might put win8 on it.
--
| map your city |

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Did you try the DEL key? Sometimes that is one that is used to get into the BIOS.

--Brian

RW8

@rr.com
reply to pcdebb

Forgot to mention DEL key as well.

What is the brand/model of laptop? To narrow it down.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to pcdebb

its a Compaq, and I got in. I started with delete key to give me a menu to another menu to a boot order menu
--
| map your city |

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Glad to hear that you figured it out.

I had a Compaq Presario Tower back in 2000. DEL was the key of choice on that one to.

Picture added for historical value!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

RW8

@rr.com
reply to pcdebb

Funny, I never seen a DEL key on a Compaq (in repair biz for almost 15 years now) before =) It's usually ESC (or F10) for the Compaq. Glad you got it though.

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to pcdebb

There's an option from the Settings in Win8 that you can restore your computer to factory default.
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

RW8

@rr.com
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

Glad to hear that you figured it out.

I had a Compaq Presario Tower back in 2000. DEL was the key of choice on that one to.

Picture added for historical value!

--Brian

I worked on that junk so many times, its not funny. I can't stand looking at one anymore