All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darkstars31
join:2012-11-07
Columbia, MO

darkstars31

[MO] Frequent loss of service (Mediacom Cable Internet)

1. A description of the problem.
Almost every night (not only limited to nights) for the past month or so I lose all internet connectivity. Currently its down right now. The lights on the RCA modem I was given are all lit up as if the connection should be working correctly. Windows Diag (I hate windows diag) is reporting that my computer cannot talk to the DNS servers. I've tried using several alternatives to Mediacom's DNS servers such as Google's DNS or OpenDNS. This had no effect. Restarting the modem has no effect on fixing the issue. I've tried directly connecting the modem and letting the modem dynamically set my IP address on my computer. This also has done nothing for me. In most cases when this happens, my connection drops for only 10-20 seconds at a time at random every night. It will drop connection usually no less than 5 times per night approx (I'm guesstimating). I can normally tell because I'm in the middle of a competitive online video game and I lag out. This is very frustrating for me and my friends who rely on me. I feel like I have ruled out all of the possibilties of my issue, except for the modem itself. All of the levels on the modem appear to be within spec. (Side Note: I really feel like the RCA modem is just an inferior product overall. I had a Motorola Surfboard Modem with which i had no problems for 6 months until the Mediacom phone service was added to our plan and they switched out modems on me).

2. Give a description of any home networking setup you may have.
Basic Home Network - roughly 5-7 Computers connected to a Linksys E4200 (3 months old) hooked up to a RCA Modem (has VOIP built in). There are 2 splitters between the outgoing line and the modem (1 as it comes into the house and one for my TV). The splitters came from Mediacom's Tech on his last visit.

3. Modem make, model and firmware version.
RCA - DHG535
Firmware: 1.1

4. Signal levels found at ยป192.168.100.1 if applicable.
Downstream Freq:129MHz Power: 2dBmV SNR:38db
Upstream Freq:25MHz Power: 41dBmV DataRate 5120 Ksym/sec

5. A speed test from DSLR.
I can't run a speed test when the Internet is down, however I typically get 15-20 Download and 1-1.3 Upload.

6. A Line Quality test from here. Please copy & post the URL in the red box! This could take a while, so you might run this first.
I haven't done a line quality test recently, if needed I can do this.

7. Which operating system you use?
Windows 7, Max OSX 10.7.5 Lion, Android

8. Is the problem constant, intermittent, or does it occur at a specific time of day? If it is an intermittent problem, a 24hr smokeping is recommended.
It is intermittent and random. I notice it mostly when I'm playing games because a constant connection is required to be competitive. However others living in my house also say it happens at other times of the day. If a smokeping is necessary I can preform one.

9. Include any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed and what version you have.
None. I work in the Tech field and only run virus scans in an as need basis, it is not constantly running (Avast - Latest update). This is also N/A for the Mac OSX.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I will be happy to look into this issue. Can you send me an IM with your account or phone number?
darkstars31
join:2012-11-07
Columbia, MO

darkstars31

I sent you a pm with the phone number on the account. I can get you the MAC address of the modem if necessary.

samehere
@mchsi.com

samehere to darkstars31

Anon

to darkstars31
Its funny I am having the same problem and almost the same setup. About 4 laptops, 4 pc's and other things like wd tv and xbox360 hooked to mine. I have a RCA also DCM425 hooked to a linksys EA4500 with classic firmware.(which is the same firmware on 4200's)
My internet dumps with all the light still lite up also and I notice that it slows way down before hand. Then my windows 7 pc shows network good but no internet. Look back and all the lights are on, on the modem. Usually end up doing a network reset.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Feel free to message me your MAC address or Telephone# and I can take a look. If it is something area based I can look into that as well.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to samehere

Premium Member

to samehere
DCM425s are junk, get rid of that modem.
samehere
join:2012-11-16

samehere to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Sorry had to make an account to IM you and I did.
I am kind of leaning toward thinking modem also since it will stay out until it is reset. Even with leaving router on resetting modem gets my connection back.
samehere

samehere to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
Thx for your help MediacomChad. Will check into other things but its nice to know its and area thing right now.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

No problem