onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Trying to print to network printers

I'm trying to print to a printer on a Windows network. I can add them and even get toner levels. But when sending a print, nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong or missing?

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX

MgA_ODEN

Premium Member

See if this helps »discussions.apple.com/th ··· tstart=0

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Here's a little more info on what I'm seeing and what I have to do to get it working...

I see the printers, and can add them through the basic adding method.

Click the + ...pick from the list

But using that way it doesn't send the print. Well actually, it shows a brief progress bar like it sent it, but nothing is ever in the queue. And nothing prints.

What I ended up having to do is add the printers by IP address. I then edited the printer names to reflect where they are in the office to make identifying them easier.

What would be the reason that they would show up in the list, you can add them, but can't actually print to them?
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to MgA_ODEN

Premium Member

to MgA_ODEN
Ok,
I posted in their community forums. I'm not sure how "live" it is over there but I hope someone has some answers since I've seem to have stumped everyone here.

»discussions.apple.com/th ··· /4507896

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
The printers in the list are coming from an Open Directory server that is possibly misconfigured. You'd have to figure out if the OD server has the correct settings for all the printers before diagnosing it on the client. One thing you can check - what driver pops up in the "Use:" box when selecting a printer from the list? What driver pops up when adding it by IP?

FWIW, I always add non-bonjour network printers by IP address. Is there a downside to doing it this way?
Marcotor
join:2000-12-09
Redlands, CA

Marcotor to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
When you add the printers, are you also selecting an appropriate driver, or "Generic Postscript Printer" as the driver?

You can usually find the right PPD's at the printer manufacturer site.

And remember, OSX uses Postscript to render, so it is imperative that you have printers with PS enabled.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I'll have to check this out when at work again. I'll reply with findings.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

The printers in the list are coming from an Open Directory server that is possibly misconfigured. You'd have to figure out if the OD server has the correct settings for all the printers before diagnosing it on the client. One thing you can check - what driver pops up in the "Use:" box when selecting a printer from the list? What driver pops up when adding it by IP?

FWIW, I always add non-bonjour network printers by IP address. Is there a downside to doing it this way?

Ok finally I had the chance to get this going again.
Here is what shows in the "use:" box when adding from the list...

And here is what shows when adding from IP:

onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Marcotor

Premium Member

to Marcotor
I'll use the default selection by the computer. When adding by IP.

How would I set the printers to enable PS on them. And would doing so, screw up anyone trying to print from Windows?
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
If it's working with the generic postscript printer driver, then the printer is using PS (postscript). I see in the default window that when you select the printer it does not find the driver. Have you tried selecting the correct driver for the printer? Also, can you print directly from the OD server?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by kitsune:

If it's working with the generic postscript printer driver, then the printer is using PS (postscript). I see in the default window that when you select the printer it does not find the driver. Have you tried selecting the correct driver for the printer? Also, can you print directly from the OD server?

When I add a printer from the list and choose the correct driver for it, it still doesn't print, heck it doesn't print even I choose the generic postscript. Also I've noticed when I add them this way, aside from not being able to print, the IP of the printer doesn't show up in the settings window of the printer like it does when adding a printer through IP. ...not sure if that matters or not.
If that doesn't make sense, I can show some screen shots of what I mean.

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

What's the brand/model of the printer?
Does the printer have a security code/password?
Can you print to any of the HP printers?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
I still suspect all of the printers in the Open Directory server are configured wrong. Can you post the configuration of that printer in the OD manager? Who runs the OD Server?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to brhalltx

Premium Member

to brhalltx
HP, Xerox, RICOH. Doesn't really matter about the model. If you add via IP, those printers will print just fine. But when adding from the list, it just will not print.

A little info though about the RICOH printer... When trying to print to it after adding it via IP, the print sends successfully from the Mac, but the printer starts printing nothing but blank pages until the tray is empty. And will continue to print blank pages once the paper tray is filled.
Now on that one though, I do think the model name is key. Since it doesn't happen with standalone printers. It seems to be only RICOH Aficio MP C2800 and C3001.

(Just so you all know, I want to be able to add from the list so that when an end user wants to add a printer, they can simply do it on their own and not have to depend on us to do it for them.)
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I still suspect all of the printers in the Open Directory server are configured wrong. Can you post the configuration of that printer in the OD manager? Who runs the OD Server?

They very well could be.
They were pretty much set up as a local printer on the server and then shared and listed in the directory. That's how I've been doing it here since 2005 when they showed me how it's done.

Question...is there any way to have the server share these printers using bonjour? And if so, how is it done?

Here are some config shots...

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Try adding them as a Windows printer, not IP or Bonjour. (Click on "Windows" rather than "Default" or "IP."

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
Do you have a Windows Server or OS X Server? Are your Macs bound to an Active Directory domain or OD domain or both? I would think if the AD server was sharing the printers, they'd show up as Active Directory, not Open.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to brhalltx

Premium Member

to brhalltx
said by brhalltx:

Try adding them as a Windows printer, not IP or Bonjour. (Click on "Windows" rather than "Default" or "IP."

I tried that but, nothing appeared in the window. If I remember correctly, everything was shaded out making them un-selectable.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you have a Windows Server or OS X Server? Are your Macs bound to an Active Directory domain or OD domain or both? I would think if the AD server was sharing the printers, they'd show up as Active Directory, not Open.

Windows server. I believe that particular one is 2003.
They're bound to an AD.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by onebadmofo:

said by Thinkdiff:

They're bound to an AD.

If you only have an Active Directory server, I have no idea why they're showing up as Open Directory. Did you install the OD schema for Active Directory on your Win 2003 server? Did it ever work this way before?

What do you get if you go to the Windows tab? Do the printers show up there?

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

said by onebadmofo:

said by Thinkdiff:

They're bound to an AD.

If you only have an Active Directory server, I have no idea why they're showing up as Open Directory. Did you install the OD schema for Active Directory on your Win 2003 server? Did it ever work this way before?

What do you get if you go to the Windows tab? Do the printers show up there?

Well none of us set the server up. Our former IT director did.
So if OD is set up we weren't aware of it.
And as far as this working before, we never had Macs on our network before.

Here's what shows on the Windows tab...

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I'd start tracing it. Add the printer that shows up as OpenDirectory then go to »localhost:631 and see where they are printing to (Ip/hostname)

And either fix it, add an Open Directory (Mac OS X Server), or Linux machine with CUPS for printer sharing.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

This is very simple. Direct IP printing bypasses the security of the AD and sends the print jobs directly to the printer. Once there, the burden of print/don't print access is left up to the printer in question. Some copiers have the ability to require a logon to be passed from its driver along with the print job that was sent in order to allow for the print job to process. If this isn't passed, it won't print. Since you're stating that you can print to these printers all day long if you add them as IP printers, then your problem is with your Mac authenticating to the AD server. Your options are to either keep setting them up as IP printers or properly configure your Mac to authenticate to the AD server.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by not :

This is very simple. Direct IP printing bypasses the security of the AD and sends the print jobs directly to the printer. Once there, the burden of print/don't print access is left up to the printer in question. Some copiers have the ability to require a logon to be passed from its driver along with the print job that was sent in order to allow for the print job to process. If this isn't passed, it won't print. Since you're stating that you can print to these printers all day long if you add them as IP printers, then your problem is with your Mac authenticating to the AD server. Your options are to either keep setting them up as IP printers or properly configure your Mac to authenticate to the AD server.

Ok I thought did I set the Mac up to authenticate. Under system preferences, Users and Groups, Log In Options, it shows our domain name as the Network account server.

Is this not how you do it? If not, then how would I properly authenticate the Mac to the AD?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Did you try joako's suggestion of looking at the local CUPS page to see where it's actually sending the print jobs to? Does it look like the jobs are being sent to the AD server, directly to the printer, or nowhere?

I'm still thinking the AD server is just misconfigured and, without having access to an AD server to test, it'd be up to your Windows Admin to track down. It could be misconfigured network settings, authentication issues (as not pointed out), or a slew of other things.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to joako

Premium Member

to joako
For localhost to work, do I need to have a Mac server running?
Cause all of these printers are on a windows 2003 server.

Hmm...linux machine. I may try that. Would Ubuntu work for that? And if it so, would have to be a server edition?
onebadmofo

onebadmofo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Your thought of the AD server being misconfigured isn't a far stretch since those who run it seem to not really care. I have access to the server but I'm not entirely sure on where I would start since I've never messed with it before.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to onebadmofo

MVM,

to onebadmofo
CUPS is the printing service for OS X. You'll always be able to access »localhost:631 on a Mac.

Joako was suggesting to add a printer on one of your Macs, then go to that URL on the same Mac and check the printers listed there.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

CUPS is the printing service for OS X. You'll always be able to access »localhost:631 on a Mac.

Joako was suggesting to add a printer on one of your Macs, then go to that URL on the same Mac and check the printers listed there.

Aaah ok.

Well I've done that but I'm seeing this:
Web Interface is Disabled

The web interface is currently disabled. Run "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" to enable it.

Not sure how to enable it.

Don't mind me, I'm still very new to in's and out's of the Mac world. But damn is it fun learning it.

Edit---I copied the text into a terminal window. And now I have access. I'll continue with other directions and post back.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Ok. On my Mac I was able to navigate to the printers area in localhost. I found the printer I added through the list (not through IP), I chose to send a test print and this screen was shown.
So...something is not authenticating.
I then clicked release job, but nothing printed.

I was able to print a test page from an IP added printer though.

I'm not sure where to go from here.