Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB
reply to Cartel

Re: I have had enough with this

That's all and good except you can NOT change the DNS servers on the V1000h. Even with the root password changing DNS servers will not stick. That means I need to manually change the DNS settings on all of my machines including Windows, Linux boxes, printers, TVs, Cellphones, Ipods, video game consoles, etc. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Plus, I would like my network to "just work", for everything to be automatic.

They offered me a 516v6, but I was under the impression that they will only operate up to 6mbit, and/or they only work on ADSL2+ lines, not a VDSL2 that is currently configured at my location, and was under the impression that they won't "revert" a location back to an ADSL2+ configuration.

I called up Shaw, and I can get comparable internet and phone combo for almost the exact price I'm paying Telus now. I've called back Telus one last time to see if they have any options available to me to run my own router, as I have a linux server sitting doing nothing set up with NAT, DNS caching, DHCP, IPv6 tunneling, which is what I used to work with when I was with Shaw. The CSR I talked to seemed to think he had something (either a stand-alone modem, or a newer gateway that can be configured to run in a bridge mode), but he might just be thinking of the Speedtouch again. We'll see in an hour when he calls me back.

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB
They're sending me a Speedtouch, I had three people at Telus confirm that it will indeed work with my 15mbit plan. Here's hoping.

AnonDSLGuy

@telus.net
said by annoyingrob:

They're sending me a Speedtouch, I had three people at Telus confirm that it will indeed work with my 15mbit plan. Here's hoping.

Obviously it'll work on 15mbit, you'll just get significantly worse impulse noise protection and higher latency, compared to running with a modern BCM based modem.