All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to bemis

to bemis

Re: Boiler heating pipes and extended power outage.

Gotcha. We have a bunch of above-ground outdoor heating oil tanks around here in MD, I guess it just doesn't get cold enough here for them to gel up. Outdoor diesel tanks for standby generators are popular too.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis

Premium Member

A friend of mine here in MA has an outdoor tank--it looks like a stainless steel port-a-potty--and he mentioned it has some sort of a heating element that kicks in at temps below 40*F (said because he was complaining about the costs to convert from his 1950's below ground tank, "and to top it off I needed an electrician to add a circuit for the heating element")

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

Gotcha. We have a bunch of above-ground outdoor heating oil tanks around here in MD, I guess it just doesn't get cold enough here for them to gel up. Outdoor diesel tanks for standby generators are popular too.

With proper additives and blending, diesel and fuel oil can be flowable to about -40... But it's all about the right mix.

Winter and Arctic diesel remain flowable at very low temperatures, but can be too thin for normal operation at higher temps... Summer fuels get too thick at lower temps.

I've got about a half-million litres of diesel and fuel oil stored at various sites; mostly in above-ground tanks - it's a bit of a dance to keep the blends right for the time of year.