spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Rogers "Ultimate Fibre" internet

Looks like they slipped this one into the webpage update for the upload speed changes.

250 Mbps symmetrical, 500GB data cap. No price listed, just an availability checker.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Re: Rogers "Ultimate Fibre" internet

Wow just noticed this new top tier when I visited the page today to see if I can confirm optional upload speeds increases on the Express, Extreme, and Extreme Plus tiers of 3/5/7 respectively.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to bt

to bt
Very limited beta testing at the centre of the universe...

»digitalhome.ca/forum/sho ··· =1455500
Rogers_Chris
VIP
join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON

Rogers_Chris to bt

to bt
We are currently conducting a Fibre-To-The-Home first market roll out in two neighbourhoods in Toronto and Moncton to test internet speeds of up to 250Mbps (download)/250Mbps (upload).
uid605466
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23

uid605466 to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Fantastic news. I was just about to switch to Bell next month for their FTTH offering, but would much rather stay with Rogers for something like this.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by uid605466:

Fantastic news. I was just about to switch to Bell next month for their FTTH offering, but would much rather stay with Rogers for something like this.

Considering that this is simply a Beta test right now in one rather affluent neighbourhood in Toronto, I'd say it's going to be a while before anyone else can enjoy it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Not to mention a cap that you can burn through in about 5 minutes.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

You can argue it's not much, but far better than what Bell is offering!
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70 to bt

to bt
I'd be surprised to ever see FTTH outside of the highest density neighborhoods. Last I heard, a residential hookup cost in the $3000 range.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by JAC70:

I'd be surprised to ever see FTTH outside of the highest density neighborhoods. Last I heard, a residential hookup cost in the $3000 range.

If Rogers can afford the fibre uplinks for all of their cell towers, they can afford to deploy fibre in urban cores.

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

1 edit

Qsig to bt

to bt
They might do what Bell is doing and what they did for my neighbourhood, I have 2 fibre runs coming into the house. One from Bell and one from Rogers. The Rogers one just gets converted straight to coax for my cable so maybe it'll change to an ONT after.

Bell is just doing fibre in new buildings and neighbourhoods because why would they continue to do copper. No medium change from the remotes now.

Existing structures and buildings....yeah...fibre there will be interesting unless it is more aerial deployed.

I also wonder what the price will be.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

3 edits

BliZZardX

Premium Member

said by Qsig:

Existing structures and buildings....yeah...fibre there will be interesting unless it is more aerial deployed.

This is all I care about. There are millions of old buildings in the country, it's ridiculous that only "new" buildings get it. China, Japan, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Finland, Norway, Sweden, USA have all learned how to install fiber in old high rises and houses, Canada hasn't. In a lot of cases Bell/Rogers already has FTTB in the basement of high rises for remote DSLAMs and dedicated nodes, they just need work done in the the stairwells/hallways up to the customer, but they haven't documented a single rewiring project like this so far in 3 or 4 years since FTTH launched in Atlantic Canada. In Atlantic Canada Aliant installed wiring up the exterior wall of low rise building (4-5 floors) and drilled in. It was totally ugly and sloppy work, there's no way in hell that cost $3000 per address.

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Qsig

Unless they have clear channels to floors and then to the units, going to be hard for some of these buildings. I wonder if our ISPs ever went across to other countries to see how they ran fibre in the older buildings.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Verizon did it quite a bit but then they also sometimes cut corners. Sometimes you just can't take a straight path especially if the techs are getting paid very little.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
do you think this will start a pissing contest between the two? being that ffth just requires a few keystrokes to increase speed
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Tell me exactly 500Gb of what you would download in 5 minutes? If you download 500Gb of movies, you still have to watch them...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by MichelR:

Tell me exactly 500Gb of what you would download in 5 minutes? If you download 500Gb of movies, you still have to watch them...

Many families today have multiple devices connecting from their homes to the Internet via wifi. Devices like iPhones, iPads, Tablets, etc.

Bandwidth utilization can add up pretty fast with many active devices all doing their thing.

5 minutes is a straw-man
Orthak
join:2012-11-09

1 edit

Orthak to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues :
I've never understood this logic.

Let us assume a test file, a video clip 500MB in size. You will consume the exact same amount of bandwidth downloading that 500MB video file at 31.25 MBps (250 Mbps) as you would downloading it at say 5.6 MBps (45 Mbp) only you will do so, much faster.

The same goes with web-surfing. One can assume your YouTube viewing habits will remain the same. The only difference being, you will load those YouTube video's a lot faster, but it certainly does not mean you somehow consume more bandwidth.

Let me put it in these terms. Take a cereal bowl and a drinking straw. Then take exactly 1 cup of water. Using a funnel, poor the water down the straw into the bowl and time how long it takes to get all the water into the bowl. Repeat the same experiment but instead of using a drinking straw, use say a toilet paper roll. Time how long it takes to get the water into the bowl. The exact same 1 cup of water is getting from point A to point B, only using the toilet paper roll will allow more water to flow through thus reducing the time it takes.

Now, unless I have been mislead in my understanding of how bandwidth works, I don't see where the extra bandwidth consumption would come from. The only way more bandwidth would be consumed, is if you spent more time downloading and surfing the internet. In which case, why do you believe your habits would change because of faster internet?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to bt

to bt
said by bt:

500GB data cap.

Pathetic for what it'll cost.

TheFerret
The Chesse Stands Alone
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
East York, ON

TheFerret to Orthak

Premium Member

to Orthak
Lets say you want to see something that is 500MB and takes 12 hours to download, you would download it over those 12 hrs and not do much with your connection. Now, lets say it takes 2 hrs to download the same thing, which means after those 2 hours, you would watch that thing and then want to watch something else. This means that you would use a lot more bandwidth with a faster connection than a slower one. Overall, it's the same bandwidth but you can do so much more over the same period of time comparing fast bandwidth to slow. This is how much more bandwidth gets used when you have faster internet.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by TheFerret:

Lets say you want to see something that is 500MB and takes 12 hours to download, you would download it over those 12 hrs and not do much with your connection. Now, lets say it takes 2 hrs to download the same thing, which means after those 2 hours, you would watch that thing and then want to watch something else. This means that you would use a lot more bandwidth with a faster connection than a slower one. Overall, it's the same bandwidth but you can do so much more over the same period of time comparing fast bandwidth to slow. This is how much more bandwidth gets used when you have faster internet.

Except that has drastically diminishing returns over a certain speed, where consuming the content starts to take longer than downloading it does.

Under ideal conditions, the slowest connection Rogers offers will download a TV show (in HD) in under half the time it takes to watch it. Under ideal conditions, the 2nd slowest connection they've got will download a full Blu-ray rip in less time than it takes to watch.

We're well past that point for small households, as far as downstream goes.

Multi-user households (that don't share the same taste in media content) might not be there yet, but there's still a point where the connection becomes fast enough that the time it takes to consume what they download is longer than the time it takes to download it.

Dluckychance
@ionecoproducts.com

Dluckychance to bt

Anon

to bt
I'm on Rogers Ultimate and getting download speeds of 275Mbps and 10Mbps uploads (I don't upload much so the 10Mbps doesn't bother me at all). I have been a Rogers customer since 1992 and getting s great deal for my internet. I get 80% of the $122.99 price so I only pay for $24.60 for a year without any contract.....loving it
I do say though with the faster speeds get pretty closes at my max 250Gb limits.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

You can't get the 80% off deal unless you also have cable TV, and you have to pay for cable TV at the full rate, so it depends on a persons situation. As an internet only customer Bell is cheaper and has the better upload speeds on lower tiers.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to bt

to bt
how much will the new package cost?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by eeeaddict:

how much will the new package cost?

This is a beta product right now, so only beta testers will know. It's free for the first year if you live in the beta testing area. They should see the monthly service fee charged and credited on their bill for the first year. CSRs will have no clue on pricing either as the product codes are not visible to them and the product is supported by an entirely separate department at this time.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33 to bt

to bt
rogers - 250 mbit plan - both directions. 500 gb cap
me - i'll pass
rogers - why
me - ur scum since your internet is unaffordable to the canadian consumer
rogers - ok
me - bye rogers. never have been your customer

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Orthak

to Orthak
said by Orthak:

said by elwoodblues :
The only way more bandwidth would be consumed, is if you spent more time downloading and surfing the internet. In which case, why do you believe your habits would change because of faster internet?

I posted the comment on the front page article as well.

If you sprang a leak, left to seed popular torrent, hacked/opened router, video game patcher left to seed to others, ect ect.

250 MBps can do some serious damage in a capped environment.
st7860
join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA

st7860 to bt

to bt
downtown vancouver has had residential 300mbps down/15mbps up, with a 1000gb cap $103/mo, for quite some time already, although not from rogers/shaw/telus.
Skyler0
join:2008-08-16
Oshawa, ON

Skyler0 to Orthak

to Orthak
You make a solid point, but as someone who went from 36/1 to 75/2 for the increased cap that we are still getting very close and going over frequently despite the difference in cap (150GB -> 250GB).

On the old plan we would always be in the same range as we are now. Getting very close if not going over.

Haris567
@teksavvy.com

Haris567 to Orthak

Anon

to Orthak
said by Orthak:

said by elwoodblues :

So tell me this do you still use the same bandwidth you used in dial up days? This should be pretty obvious that the higher the speed the more the usage. Eg someone who watches YouTube videos in 360 might switch to 1080 when there is no buffer wait. That's just one out of countless ways your behavior changes when you have better speed. Others might get TV through Internet with better speeds. Like I said, our usage has come a long way from dial up days.