Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON
reply to bt

Re: Rogers "Ultimate Fibre" internet

I wonder what particular "equipment" Rogers utilizes for its Ultimate Fibre internet? I'm guessing the similar equipment that Bell uses for it's Fibe FTTH services.

It could also be similar to the one down in Ottawa's newest neighbourhood (aka "Sohowest", but it is now known as "Trailwest"). I found this here and here.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by simon726:

I wonder what particular "equipment" Rogers utilizes for its Ultimate Fibre internet? I'm guessing the similar equipment that Bell uses for it's Fibe FTTH services.

It could also be similar to the one down in Ottawa's newest neighbourhood (aka "Sohowest", but it is now known as "Trailwest"). I found this here and here.

It's likely a similar system to Bell Fibe FTTH or FiOS. The deployments you've linked are all RFoG deployments and the speed of RFoG deployments is limited to the speed a DOCSIS modem can provide, therefore it is unlikely that the ultimate fibre uses RFoG as 4 bonded channels can't provide 250mbps on the upstream.

Also the Ultimate fibre service is supported through a different team which likely uses a different billing and provisioning system. One of the main selling features for MSOs to use RFoG is that they can utilize the same customer premise and back end equipment and systems.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to Orthak
Look at the history of aviation. When planes became faster and more powerful, we eventually aimed our sights on the moon.

With 250mbps, you will set your sights on bigger targets now that you have the technology to acquire them.

Buddha2oo9

join:2009-05-05
reply to bt
Does anybody have any kind of insight about when they're going to roll this out towards Mississauga? lol .. This would be amazing for work purposes.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
said by Buddha2oo9:

Does anybody have any kind of insight about when they're going to roll this out towards Mississauga? lol .. This would be amazing for work purposes.

This is still considered a trial within the Forest Hill area of Toronto, so you can bet it's not coming to your neighbourhood anytime soon.

If you need fibre, I'm sure Rogers Business Services and a variety of other companies would be happy to lay fibre to your premises if you're willing to cough up the money.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to bt
I missed some of the comments about bandwidth usage, but lets put it this way, I've exceeded that cap by 8 fold many months.

I'm not like some of the prissy commentators here who probably pay Rogers through the nose and only use it for web surfing and email.

Linux Distros are getting bigger and i like to evaluate lots of them.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Buddha2oo9

said by elwoodblues:

I'm not like some of the prissy commentators here who probably pay Rogers through the nose and only use it for web surfing and email.

I hear ya. I edit video and work with ProRes for my day-job. My Dropbox is syncing about 20 gigs daily (on really slow days) not to mention getting my source files, uploading my projects, plus the rest of the household has to deal with the slowdown when I'm killing all 10 mbit of my upload lol.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
20gb is nothing... I'm uploading ~100gb everyday on my 10mbps, I did that even when they didn't have unlimited. And with proper QoS no one notices even a slightest slow down ever. Honestly there is no point in having a top of the line package and yet people still have to put up with slow down. You need to setup QoS for the rest of your household.

caca

join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
and how do you set that qos properly? i have no idea and a noob

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by caca:

and how do you set that qos properly? i have no idea and a noob

What kind of router/firmware are you using?

Buddha2oo9

reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

20gb is nothing... I'm uploading ~100gb everyday on my 10mbps, I did that even when they didn't have unlimited.

Wow! What do you upload for 22 hours everyday? I only ask because for my company, things get time sensitive so having the quick upload helps so much in my case.

I have a d-link router. (DGL-4500). How do you setup QoS properly? (That will at least solve the slowdown in the house).

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
i only have the hiltron with speeds of 150/10 i dont have it in bridge

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Buddha2oo9
said by caca:

i only have the hiltron with speeds of 150/10 i dont have it in bridge

said by Buddha2oo9:

I have a d-link router. (DGL-4500). How do you setup QoS properly? (That will at least solve the slowdown in the house).

Both don't have true QoS, they just have WMM QoS, which is hardly configurable. For the 150/10 you need a much more powerful router to run it properly, the best solution is pfsense on at least a 1.5GHz CPU.

I actually have my router on a core 2 extreme CPU with pfsense, its overkill I know, but I never have to worry about it being underpowered for anything. VPN, QoS, IPv6, 24/7 torrent server it will do anything without breaking a sweat.

But for the average Joe that has 150/10 you still need a powerful router if you want to run QoS otherwise you will not see 150/10. RT-AC66U or RT-N56U will work for anything less than 150/10 with DD-WRT or even the stock firmware since true QoS built in to the firmware but for the 150/10 you need a real powerful computer to do QoS for 150mbps because it requires too much resources and consumer grade hardware just doesn't have that horsepower.

Makaveli998

join:2002-04-23
i'm on extreme plus on a DGL 4500 with QOS enable and its fine.

I was also at the 150/10 package for about 2 weeks until I decided I didn't need it and dropped to a lower package. And my DGL 4500 handle that speed fine aswell.

For the other poster just go to the Dlink site they have plenty of info on how to configure the router.

While a Machine using Pfsense will be more powerful the DGL 4500 isn't a $50 POS router. It was $200 on release and it should handle 150/10 without to much issue.

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
i will be looking at a new pc quad core i5 3570k w 8 gig ram and 1tb hd

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to Makaveli998
said by Makaveli998:

i'm on extreme plus on a DGL 4500 with QOS enable and its fine.

I was also at the 150/10 package for about 2 weeks until I decided I didn't need it and dropped to a lower package. And my DGL 4500 handle that speed fine aswell.

It has WMM QoS, its not really the kind of QoS you would want for 150/10. There is no way it can handle true QoS for 150/10, you have to realize the amount processing the CPU has to do really quickly to keep up with 150/10, if it can't then the speed will go down to whatever the CPU can keep up with, usually around 40-60mbps for those routers. No doubt its a good $200 router but that's not the point; it simply wasn't design to have true QoS for 150/10 therefore its hardware cannot support that, it can support 150/10 without QoS no problem.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to caca
said by caca:

i will be looking at a new pc quad core i5 3570k w 8 gig ram and 1tb hd

I hope that's not for your router because there are a lot of better options and cheaper too.

I have the core 2 extreme because I simply upgraded to core i7 and so I just ended up using the my core 2 extreme system for pfsense, I had no other use for it.

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
no i need a new pc my old one is very slow now and mobo is screwed up its 6years old

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
reply to bt
re: RFoG, etc.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Ultimate Fibre is GPON based and unlike Bell FTTH it doesn't use PPPoE.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to caca
said by caca:

no i need a new pc my old one is very slow now and mobo is screwed up its 6years old

In that case all you would need to add is a killer video card and you will have a serious gaming PC, 10 folds better than current consoles at that...if you are into gaming of course. I recommend GTX 670 or you could even get away with a 660Ti

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
for now am getting the gt650 1gig video card so now what do i need to do for the qos

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by caca:

for now am getting the gt650 1gig video card so now what do i need to do for the qos

For QoS if you have the 150/10 I can't recommend a consumer grade router, what I will recommend is pfsense on a desktop machine with at least 1.5GHz CPU; 2.0GHz would be best (P4 and older Core 2 machines are really cheap these day).

But if you don't want to deal with setting up a pfsense machine then I'd say go for the most powerful consumer grade router, for example Asus RT-AC66U has a great easy to use QoS set-up process, that's something you should look at but again I can't comment on whether or not it can sustain 150mbps with QoS on a 0.6GHz CPU, my hunch tells me it cannot with a 0.6GHz CPU.

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
ok thank you for yr info

Makaveli998

join:2002-04-23
reply to technocar2
true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?

technocar2

Brampton, ON

1 edit
said by Makaveli998:

true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?

True QoS is anything that you can configure to your network demands, such as prioritize certain packets over others, or certain port, IPs, DNS or anything like that. The QoS that was mentioned in this thread was WMM QoS, which is only for multimedia over wifi and thus cannot apply to http, gaming, P2P, or VoIP traffic.

Running true QoS takes too much of the CPU's resources that's why only a the most power routers have this feather to various degrees. RT-AC66U has an excellent QoS setup but like I said it may not be able to run at 150mbps with QoS on.

Also there are no tests, you have to set up QoS policies and if your router has the guts then it should be able to prioritize packets according to said policies. Only way to test it is to have two computers with different kinds of traffic and check if they are getting correct speeds and priority with respect to your policy. If your router's CPU is too slow at this process then your overall speed will be less as well such that the router's CPU can keep up otherwise there is no point in running QoS.