Search similar:

uniqs
caca
join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON

caca to bt

to bt

Re: Rogers "Ultimate Fibre" internet

for now am getting the gt650 1gig video card so now what do i need to do for the qos
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by caca:

for now am getting the gt650 1gig video card so now what do i need to do for the qos

For QoS if you have the 150/10 I can't recommend a consumer grade router, what I will recommend is pfsense on a desktop machine with at least 1.5GHz CPU; 2.0GHz would be best (P4 and older Core 2 machines are really cheap these day).

But if you don't want to deal with setting up a pfsense machine then I'd say go for the most powerful consumer grade router, for example Asus RT-AC66U has a great easy to use QoS set-up process, that's something you should look at but again I can't comment on whether or not it can sustain 150mbps with QoS on a 0.6GHz CPU, my hunch tells me it cannot with a 0.6GHz CPU.
caca
join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON

caca to bt

to bt
ok thank you for yr info

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

Makaveli998 to technocar2

to technocar2
true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

1 edit

technocar2

said by Makaveli998:

true QoS for 150/10

Can you provide me of an example of what TRUE QOS test is suppose to look like so that I can run that test on this router?

True QoS is anything that you can configure to your network demands, such as prioritize certain packets over others, or certain port, IPs, DNS or anything like that. The QoS that was mentioned in this thread was WMM QoS, which is only for multimedia over wifi and thus cannot apply to http, gaming, P2P, or VoIP traffic.

Running true QoS takes too much of the CPU's resources that's why only a the most power routers have this feather to various degrees. RT-AC66U has an excellent QoS setup but like I said it may not be able to run at 150mbps with QoS on.

Also there are no tests, you have to set up QoS policies and if your router has the guts then it should be able to prioritize packets according to said policies. Only way to test it is to have two computers with different kinds of traffic and check if they are getting correct speeds and priority with respect to your policy. If your router's CPU is too slow at this process then your overall speed will be less as well such that the router's CPU can keep up otherwise there is no point in running QoS.