how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Unlimited is not sustainable

Anyone that think cell phone companies can offer unlimited 4G data for $30 is both obtuse and naive. That being said at&t should have juts let these unlimited customers finish out their contracts before getting them off unlimited.

Regardless unlimited is not coming back so all the "It's my right to have unlimited data" whiners need to get over it.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

So that's why T-Mobile just switched to unlimited 4G data?

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
reply to 88615298

ATT illegally canceled their contracts and forced them to a metered situation. If I buy goods and services that offer a set of specification, capacities etc. at a set price then by god I want those specifications at that price. That is not whining that is standing up for your rights. If ATT couldn't sustain an unlimited offering they should not have offered it in the first place.
I also agree that it's a tad unreasonable to expect unlimited data consumption for 30 dollars a month but that's the reality of ATT's "grand-fathered" customers.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Regardless unlimited is not coming back so all the "It's my right to have unlimited data" whiners need to get over it.

Thank God for a competitive market and urban areas serviced by several carriers. No need to whine, only vote with the wallet.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile has a MUCH smaller marketshare than at&T Verizon.

T-mobile will find out quickly how unsustainable unlimited it.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

There isn't a $50 charge for 1GB of data.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

Thank God for a competitive market and urban areas serviced by several carriers. No need to whine, only vote with the wallet.

That's right, just move on to another carrier and don't come to messageboards adn complain and threaten lawsuits in hopes of getting at&t and Verizon to switch back to unlimited.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Twaddle

forsee the Verizon method of getting people of the discontinued data plan - want a full subsidized upgrade cost then dro off your unlimited plan, other then that pay full cost. Besides they did not disallow throttling, suspect it maybe slower from now on, no where in the original fcc disertation did it say they cannot throttle

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

hope you like sprint or t-mobile

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Twaddle

said by Twaddle :

ATT illegally canceled their contracts and forced them to a metered situation. If I buy goods and services that offer a set of specification, capacities etc. at a set price then by god I want those specifications at that price. That is not whining that is standing up for your rights.

You don't read very well do you? Did you READ what I wrote? Obviously not. I already stated that at&t was wrong in getting rid of unlimited with people still under contract.

If ATT couldn't sustain an unlimited offering they should not have offered it in the first place.

At&t and Verizon offered unlimited back when 4G didn't exist and in fact 3G wasn't even everywhere. Also very few people had smartphones and even those with smartphones, those phones had less capabilities to use data. Which part of that is hard for you to understand?

I also agree that it's a tad unreasonable to expect unlimited data consumption for 30 dollars a month

Hell my CABLE internet connection doesn't even offer unlimited data anymore and that cost $50 a month. How anyone things that cellular is going to offer unlimited for $30 a month is beyond me.

No if one wants to argue about the caps being too low that's legit argument to have. But anyone that's still on the "we deserve unlimited" camp they aren't paying with a full deck.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to wingrider01

said by wingrider01:

said by Network Guy:

said by 88615298:

hope you like sprint or t-mobile

Well they offer "unlimited" right?

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

I am on the unlimited TMo 4G. Kicks ass, downloaded about 15 GB with ZERO issues and no complaints from TMo. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or someone off the Internet ?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Network Guy

I'm going to vote with my wallet.

Should the time come that I can no longer keep the unlimited data plan on my phone, I'll just go back to a flip phone.

Sure, the smartphone has a lot of neat gizmos. But I lived without them before. I can do it again. $30 for 2GB is a rip off in my opinion.

Should the time come that I can no longer keep my unlimited plan on my mobile data card, then I'll just turn that off.

$90 + taxes and fees BAM back into my bank account!

And, for the record, anyone who thinks these giant companies who are sitting on hoards of cash AND spectrum can't offer unlimited need to do a little more research, and sell off some of your stocks.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to 88615298

I'm still on unlimited data with Verizon Wireless on my 4G phone. The last couple of months I used 18GB and 12GB.

And I'm still on unlimited data from FIOS at home. But I use several terabytes a month. If Verizon FiOS can do unlimited data for only $60 a month, with more than 100X the data I use from cellular, then Verizon Wireless should have no issue with unlimited data for the $30 a month they are charging me.

Data is extremely cheap. And the prices keep getting lower and lower. So even if they kept charging the same amount thier profit margins would still continue to rise.

Os

US

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

Apparently you've never seen the FACTS of a Verizon Share Everything plan. It is indeed $50 for 1GB.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan···erything

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to 88615298

Hell my CABLE internet connection doesn't even offer unlimited data anymore and that cost $50 a month. How anyone things that cellular is going to offer unlimited for $30 a month is beyond me.

No if one wants to argue about the caps being too low that's legit argument to have. But anyone that's still on the "we deserve unlimited" camp they aren't paying with a full deck.

I'm OK with limits. They need to be fairly priced though. Do you remember how cellular data cost before the unlimited plans came to exist? We'd still be stuck with per MB charges if it weren't for the proliferation of unlimited options.

We've had unlimited hardwired internet for over a decade now. The only reason that's not "sustainable" is that all major ISPs are now TV providers, and streaming video is threatening the pay TV cash cow.

Unlimited data has fueled innovation over the last decade in both wired and wireless. As data consumption goes up, providers have figured out ways to meet the demand.

AT&T grandfathers unlimited because they know people will run to Verizon without it. Clearly they feel they're making money off those customers. They'd just like to make more.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Os

US
reply to ke4pym

If $30 for 2GB is a ripoff, then what is $60? Because that's what you'll pay Verizon now.

Verizon doubled their prices, and we as consumers are just supposed to take it.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Anyone that think cell phone companies can offer unlimited 4G data for $30 is both obtuse and naive. That being said at&t should have juts let these unlimited customers finish out their contracts before getting them off unlimited.

Naive and obtuse is when someone speaks without being fully informed which bf69 you may have just demonstrated. Just remember " Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" A. Lincoln

Please Show your proof that unlimited is not sustainable especially with all the restrictions that are now carried on top of "unlimited". Also there you go running off your mouth without reading, As I said unlimited data No where did I or anyone say 4G ( in reference to speeds or tech). If you knew the details most original unlimited users were 3G. Theres no reason ATT or any competitor can not retain there unlimited customers on the plans they were offered with all the restrictions that are in place and some they have yet to enforce. Not to mention ATT still offers Unlimited 3G plans for feature phones on there prepaid accounts. That alone shows its sustainable.

Sure there is a loophole for everything Easily done by ATT to offer those unlimited customers new 4G equipped phones (LTE or HSPA) but throttle there accounts to 3G speeds leaving them still unlimited, and there would almost be no complaints from the FCC. that I believe most customers would see as a fair compromise, ATT to customers: "No you can not have 30mbps LTE unlimited but well give you 3mbps, ether take it or upgrade." thats the compromise.

PS I rack up on average 7.5 GB a month on TMO using my dualcore phone w free tethering and they have never cut me off or said peep.
Also a Friend of mine uses his ATT Iphone 4 on ATT $50 prepaid plan, guess what they don't charge him per GB they just throttle the hell out of his connection, but its still unlimited!

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Os

said by Os:

If $30 for 2GB is a ripoff, then what is $60? Because that's what you'll pay Verizon now.

I pay $60/mo for 3G unlimited on my mobile data card.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

I'm still on unlimited data with Verizon Wireless on my 4G phone. The last couple of months I used 18GB and 12GB.

And I'm still on unlimited data from FIOS at home. But I use several terabytes a month. If Verizon FiOS can do unlimited data for only $60 a month, with more than 100X the data I use from cellular, then Verizon Wireless should have no issue with unlimited data for the $30 a month they are charging me.

Data is extremely cheap. And the prices keep getting lower and lower. So even if they kept charging the same amount thier profit margins would still continue to rise.

Sorry but you are naive. You were comparing a direct fiber line to your home to cellular, provided over a finite and public resource called spectrum. There is only so many who can share 5-10 MHz channels and only a certain frequency range that is practical for covering areas. Now take out what's needed for other communications and split the rest between carriers at expensive auctions. Sure, there is room for carriers to increase cell density, but that is a huge financial and political investment that will see diminishing returns as traffic explodes. Other than speed, technology such as LTE can cram more users on a channel, using advanced modulation techniques, MIMO, and better signalling protocols. Still, there is an upper limit to this. With fiber, you're only limited by the backbone interconnects and headend equipment. To add insane capacity, just add more fiber to the bundle.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to WernerSchutz

said by WernerSchutz:

said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

I am on the unlimited TMo 4G. Kicks ass, downloaded about 15 GB with ZERO issues and no complaints from TMo. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or someone off the Internet ?

Come to MY area and use your t-mobile phone and see what kind of speeds you get.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

Apparently you've never seen the FACTS of a Verizon Share Everything plan. It is indeed $50 for 1GB.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan···erything

Actually I HAVE seen it. The $50 includes unlimited minutes and texting. which are in fact a $40 value. Funny you post a link and you FAIL at reading the info. Take a look at the pic I posted. See where the minutes and texting are INCLUDED with the data? Also if you go to your link you will see the data pricing for just a tablet to just a Mi-fi and no calling or texting is $40 cheaper for the same amount of data. Thus minutes/texting is worth $40. So if Unlimited minutes/texting and 1 GB is $50 and minutes/texting is $40 the 1 GB data is actually $10.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

You should realize there is a HUGE difference between FIBER and cellular.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
Reviews:
·Anveo
reply to WernerSchutz

T-Mobile has great potential just very limited coverage. I just switched yesterday and am getting 40ms pings and downloads around 15mbps on HSPA+. If they expanded their footprint they could easily be a competitor. WiFi calling/SMS is a great feature as well.

T-mo isn't for everyone but their faux-G is definitely on-par with Verizon LTE where it exists.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

Actually $60 also includes unlimited minutes and texting which is a $40 value. So the 2 GB is actually $20. People should actually read what the plan includes before talking.

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Its funny that you say that (and the fact that you always jump to the defense of these company's), considering the fact that I can use my business account (I don't have a business) to get Unlimited data on either a phone or a hotspot from any of the major providers (Verizon, ATT, Sprint) for around the same price people pay for the caped junk with overages and with no throttle. Just because you think unlimited data has gone away and not coming back does not make it true, the fact is it is alive and well if you know how to get it.

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
reply to Os

I already explained this to him the other day and he couldn't comprehend it. He's sticking to the pro-Verizon pricing scheme.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to buddahbless

said by buddahbless:

Please Show your proof that unlimited is not sustainable

Please show me proof how Verizon can offer unlimited 4G data to 92 million customers with a mere 10 MHz of spectrum on download and 10 MHz on upload.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to zippoboy7

said by zippoboy7:

Its funny that you say that (and the fact that you always jump to the defense of these company's)

Show me proof at&T and Verizon have plans to bring back unlimited data within the text few years when ALL indicators are that they intened on getting rid of it. WTF do you think this case is about. Geesh!

And I'm not defending anyone. I speaking common sense. You don't like Verizon's or at&t pricing and plans LEAVE and go with someone else. And that is bad advice..... why?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to ssavoy

said by ssavoy:

I already explained this to him the other day and he couldn't comprehend it. He's sticking to the pro-Verizon pricing scheme.

I don't need explaining. actually READING what the plan offers tells you. I can't help it if simple reading and math is beyond your comprehension. 2+2 does NOT equal 5 no matter how badly you want it to be true.

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA

All I need explained is, if the minutes and texting are truly included with the data, why are smartphones $30 *more* per month than tablets?