Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to 88615298

Re: Unlimited is not sustainable

So that's why T-Mobile just switched to unlimited 4G data?

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile has a MUCH smaller marketshare than at&T Verizon.

T-mobile will find out quickly how unsustainable unlimited it.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

I think $50 for 1GB is less sustainable for data than unlimited. You can get away with that in a market with shiny show toys, not a maturing one with saturation.

There isn't a $50 charge for 1GB of data.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

T-mobile customers will find to how having everyone using unimited bogs down the network.

Until you can actually accept some FACTS there is no point trying to discuss anything with you.

I am on the unlimited TMo 4G. Kicks ass, downloaded about 15 GB with ZERO issues and no complaints from TMo. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or someone off the Internet ?

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
Apparently you've never seen the FACTS of a Verizon Share Everything plan. It is indeed $50 for 1GB.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan···erything

Premium
West Tenness
reply to WernerSchutz
said by WernerSchutz:

said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

I am on the unlimited TMo 4G. Kicks ass, downloaded about 15 GB with ZERO issues and no complaints from TMo. Who should I believe, my lying eyes or someone off the Internet ?

Come to MY area and use your t-mobile phone and see what kind of speeds you get.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Os
said by Os:

Apparently you've never seen the FACTS of a Verizon Share Everything plan. It is indeed $50 for 1GB.

»www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/plan···erything

Actually I HAVE seen it. The $50 includes unlimited minutes and texting. which are in fact a $40 value. Funny you post a link and you FAIL at reading the info. Take a look at the pic I posted. See where the minutes and texting are INCLUDED with the data? Also if you go to your link you will see the data pricing for just a tablet to just a Mi-fi and no calling or texting is $40 cheaper for the same amount of data. Thus minutes/texting is worth $40. So if Unlimited minutes/texting and 1 GB is $50 and minutes/texting is $40 the 1 GB data is actually $10.

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
Reviews:
·Anveo
reply to WernerSchutz
T-Mobile has great potential just very limited coverage. I just switched yesterday and am getting 40ms pings and downloads around 15mbps on HSPA+. If they expanded their footprint they could easily be a competitor. WiFi calling/SMS is a great feature as well.

T-mo isn't for everyone but their faux-G is definitely on-par with Verizon LTE where it exists.

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
reply to Os
I already explained this to him the other day and he couldn't comprehend it. He's sticking to the pro-Verizon pricing scheme.

Premium
West Tenness
said by ssavoy:

I already explained this to him the other day and he couldn't comprehend it. He's sticking to the pro-Verizon pricing scheme.

I don't need explaining. actually READING what the plan offers tells you. I can't help it if simple reading and math is beyond your comprehension. 2+2 does NOT equal 5 no matter how badly you want it to be true.

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
All I need explained is, if the minutes and texting are truly included with the data, why are smartphones $30 *more* per month than tablets?

Premium
West Tenness
said by ssavoy:

All I need explained is, if the minutes and texting are truly included with the data, why are smartphones $30 *more* per month than tablets?

Ask Verizon but that's the device fee. The "data" part CLEARLY includes minutes and texting. It's in the pic I posted. Also if you go to the website and choose just a tablet or hotspot or usb dongle and choose a data plan that does NOT include minutes or texting the data is $30 cheaper. For example 4 GB data on Share Everything with a phone is $70 and included unlimited minutes and texting with just a tablet with no minutes or texting it's $30. So if the price difference is $40 and the only change is the lack of minutes and texting then MATH and COMMON SENSE tells you that minutes and texting are priced at $40.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Os:

T-mobile has ZERO 4G.

This guy actually likes metered data... I am with Verizon have 5 phones with 12 gb plan most we used was about 8 but that doesn't change the fact that having unlimited means you can use your smartphone for what it's made to use the freaking internet much more.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Come to MY area and use your t-mobile phone and see what kind of speeds you get.

Better yet, come to my area and see if you can even connect.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to ssavoy
Because they subsidize next to nothing on a tablet, compared to hundreds on a smart phone?

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to ssavoy
said by ssavoy:

T-Mobile has great potential just very limited coverage. I just switched yesterday and am getting 40ms pings and downloads around 15mbps on HSPA+. If they expanded their footprint they could easily be a competitor. WiFi calling/SMS is a great feature as well.

T-mo isn't for everyone but their faux-G is definitely on-par with Verizon LTE where it exists.

Potential, having been around since 94 (Voice Stream), if they haven't figured it out by now, I wouldn't hold your breath.

ReVeLaTeD
Premium
join:2001-11-10
San Diego, CA
reply to Os
said by 88615298:

Anyone that think cell phone companies can offer unlimited 4G data for $30 is both obtuse and naive. That being said at&t should have juts let these unlimited customers finish out their contracts before getting them off unlimited.

Regardless unlimited is not coming back so all the "It's my right to have unlimited data" whiners need to get over it.

I would state for the record that:

- the same thing was said about cellular voice.
- same thing was said about long distance (both cellular and landline).
- same thing was said about email (yes, at one point, people tried to charge for email).
- same thing was said about dialup internet (remember, they charged for dialup minutes at first).

When GTE was charging $1.00/minute, that dwindled real fast. That's one example. But the point is that tiered pricing can't and won't last for something that is as close to a utility as data access is.

If cell companies were smart they'd do what the cable/DSL providers do with the land service - charge based on given speed limiting. People don't balk at that as much as long as the prices make sense.

I pay $30/month for "unlimited" right now with VZW. I would pay $50, no questions asked, for 10 up / 10 down, because that's plenty for a mobile data access tier. My home connection is $100/month and it's 50 down /20 up, so I think my price is more than fair considering how much lower it is.

Create tiers such as

MAX $100
10 / 10 $50
5 / 5 $30
3 / 1 $20
1 / 1 $15

And throttle it at the source. Give people fairly priced choices, and they wouldn't care as much.

Offer a "no data" option that effectively disables all but Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth, for those who simply don't anticipate needing it. Should be completely free since it costs them nothing to block data.

Offer a "pay-per-minute" plan that costs like $5/month and then the 45 cents/minute or whatever above that. I'd be all over that plan.

I guarantee you that a day will come when the idea of "tiered" will be one of those long forgotten things you tell your kids about. Like dialing 10-10-811 before calling long distance, for example. Or pay phones.

And throttle the speed based on the tier selected. That way,

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
reply to 88615298
If the minutes and texting are $40/month and I have to pay $90/month for my smartphone, then my math shows the 1 Gig of data to be $50/month. Or is the $40/month access fee optional?
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

ssavoy
Premium
Dallas, PA
reply to Crookshanks
Finally a logical answer. Then again, if I bring my own phone it still costs the same. I wish they would start calling it "Phone Financing" rather than just roll it in with the service plan.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
said by ssavoy:

Then again, if I bring my own phone it still costs the same. I wish they would start calling it "Phone Financing" rather than just roll it in with the service plan.

Charging you the same if you bring your own phone does suck. I really can't think of any reason they do it, other than industry inertia. The wireless industry has used the subsidy w/contract model for decades, mostly to shield people from sticker shock.

T-Mobile does offer different plans for BYOD, but they have a different corporate culture than most American carriers. I suspect you'll see the BYOD concept spread over the coming decade, particularly once VoLTE happens and we have a truly nationwide cellular standard.

jeremyvbk19

@suddenlink.net
reply to 88615298
Actually the $50 is covering mainly data for the several phones. It is the per phone charge that is a majority of the unlimited talk and text part. Hence when you add a second phone you don'g get more data, you have to get an upgraded tier to do that.