spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dlewis23
join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

dlewis23

Speed Upgrades Coming

Its about time. Hope it doesn't take too long.

»www.att.com/gen/press-ro ··· id=35661
The Project VIP plan includes an upgrade for U-verse to speeds of up to 75Mbps and for U-verse IPDSLAM to speeds of up to 45Mbps, with a path to deliver even higher speeds in the future.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but those kinds of speeds will only be available to folks very close to the DSLAM/VRAD, even when using Pair Bonding.

Don't get me wrong. 75 Mbps service is better than TWC offers currently. However you'll probably need to be within 1500 feet of the VRAD to get that kind of speed...and you'll probably need to pick up TV from AT&T in order to get that package.

As for 24 Mbps over ADSL2+ (IP-DSLAM), you're looking at pretty much ideal conditions to get that kind of speed. As in, well under a mile from the DSLAM. And upload speeds will probably be limited to 2 Mbps; you aren't going to see Annex M and 22.5 Mbps per pair on the same ADSL2+ service.

Am I bitter that I can only get 3M IP-DSLAM DSL despite having a VRAD right outside my apartment complex? Yep. BUt more bitter that, even with AT&T's announced enhancements, they still will be a tad behind what TWC can do in most cases.

ghost901
join:2012-05-18

ghost901 to dlewis23

to dlewis23
Anyone know if existing IPDSLAM users will see pair bonding upgrades or vdsl upgrades?

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Now if only they'll run FTTP on our street :/. We have AT&T fiber lines on our road and fiber going through our property .
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to dlewis23

to dlewis23
What use if a 75 mbit connection going to be if their data cap is 250 GBs. Hopefully they don't start enforcing that pretty soon.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by nephipower:

What use if a 75 mbit connection going to be if their data cap is 250 GBs. Hopefully they don't start enforcing that pretty soon.

There were a few data services mentioned in the pres-release. Hopefully they will focus on added services to generate revenue instead of caps. Caps, after all, should apply to any services they offer.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to dlewis23

to dlewis23
Wonder what kinda lte plans they will offer for those of us labeled as rural.. Hopefully not the same as verizons home fusion... Laughable at best
dlewis23
join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

dlewis23 to nephipower

to nephipower
said by nephipower:

Just because you have a faster connection doesn't mean you will use more data you just get things done faster.

I finally got my self upgraded from 12 Mbps to 18 Mbps and I don't use anymore data per month I just get downloads done faster or if someone is streaming netflix it doesn't slow down what I'm doing as much anymore.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

But is does drive the ability and desire for more data as services grow around the greater bandwidth. With more bandwidth we have the potential to need more data.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
I'm glad to hear they're going to take another stab at upgrading speeds. Even if only 10% of their customers can get the speeds, it still causes TWC to react and upgrade.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

said by djrobx:

I'm glad to hear they're going to take another stab at upgrading speeds. Even if only 10% of their customers can get the speeds, it still causes TWC to react and upgrade.

Where did you see that only 10% of AT&T customers would get a speed upgrade?
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

The laws of physics say so.

AT&T will be using pair-bonded ADSL2+ (or maybe some vectored variant thereof) to deliver IP-DSLAM DSL. Getting 45 Mbps over two pairs might be possible a mile from the DSLAM, but that's pushing it.

75 Mbps? You're probably looking at pair-bonded VDSL2 in that case, unless you're within spitting distance (or 1000 wire feet) of the VRAD. You might be able to hit 75 Mbps pair-bonded at 2000 feet.

Maybe AT&T has enough VRAD density in some areas to deliver 75 Mbps service to most people who want it. I doubt it though. Even in NW Austin, where it feels like there's a VRAD every road mile, there are folks who can't get 24/3. Let alone something higher.
teicher
join:2010-06-30
Raleigh, NC

teicher

Copper line quality is going to play a big role, too.I have a single pair that syncs at 45 at 1900', so I'd probably be one of those households that could get 75M with pair bonding. If AT&T let me use the full bandwidth from my profile, I could have 32/5 service right now. If they just sold what me modem sync'd at and could handle (something the GW could handle on its own), I could have even faster service.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I agree with AT&T letting users get what the modem says they can. I think my modem, using AT&T's could support an 8Mbps down/ 1Mbps up instead of the 6Mbps down/0.5Mbps up I am at now. No, it would not be a massive increase, but it would cost AT&T very little to unleash the modems already in use.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx to Rangersfan

Premium Member

to Rangersfan
said by Rangersfan :

said by djrobx:

Where did you see that only 10% of AT&T customers would get a speed upgrade?

"Even if" being the key words. I would certainly hope that upgrades are available to more customers. I'm not sure how many they will actually qualify for 75mbps though.

I'm physically in the middle of the development that my VRAD services. My line pretty much maxed out on the 32mbps profile. Even if pair bonding were ideal, that's only 64mbps before TV overhead.

Still, I'm very excited to hear that the rumors that AT&T was giving up on U-verse were wrong, and that AT&T is still going to try and push their U-verse infrastructure. It's good for U-verse customers, and good for the customers of their competitors. I like having options.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
Maybe pair bonding and some tweaking may allow us to qualify for that 100 Mbps speed lol.

The VRAD is much closer than what it says .

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
I'd be happy if they fixed their peering with Netflix so we can use the available local bandwidth but that probably won't happen.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I am familiar with peering with other ISPs, essentially a net zero in traffic exchange, but how would peering apply to AT&T and Netflix? I see it as a very unbalanced relationship, in favor of Netflix, as far as the amount of GBs AT&T and Netflix would exchange. Does Netflix have resources, that I am obviously not familiar with, that AT&T would want to use for data transport?
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Just get Charter and problem solved

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by UverseTech2:

Just get Charter and problem solved

We currently only have U-verse TV/Phone. Just dropped internet about two or so months ago for Comcast.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
Guess it's cool for people that want it. Though I can't imagine what I'd possibly need 75Mbps for. I play games online, netflix, hulu etc. All that stuff works fine on my 12Mbps. In fact, it all worked just fine when I only had 3Mbps.

And then there will be the hundreds of threads from people bitching about the fact that the upload still isn't enough.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by Jon5:

Guess it's cool for people that want it. Though I can't imagine what I'd possibly need 75Mbps for.

It's the upload I'm interested in. If they offered a 12/12 plan I'd be on it in a heartbeat.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

Heck, I'd settle for 12/5 for a price significantly lower than TWC charges for 30/5 here.

Too bad AT&T doesn't seem to want to give folks more than 1 Mbps up on IP-DSLAM and 3 Mbps on VDSL.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by iansltx:

Too bad AT&T doesn't seem to want to give folks more than 1 Mbps up on IP-DSLAM and 3 Mbps on VDSL.

I am not sure it's that they don't want too but there is a limit on what VDSL2 can provide. Plus with offering VOIP/TV services over that line they can't devote all of the 2 or 5 MB upstream to internet bandwidth.

scotsclic
@comcast.net

scotsclic to dlewis23

Anon

to dlewis23
Looks like at&t is using a combination of technologies to bring higher speeds to U-Verse. The first technology at&t will be using is pair bonding. Currently pair-bonding is being used to extend the range of the current network, but now it will also be used to increase the speeds of customers closer to the VRAD. With pair bonding comes the phenomenon called cross talk which can drastically reduced data throughput of the bonded lines and other neighboring pairs. To mitigate this, at&t will be vectoring the lines reduce the amount of interference. This will be done by simply changing out a few line cards at the VRAD and some software updates to the RG/iNID to make them vectoring ready. Thus, when at&t completes the upgrade, youll notice more reliability of your connection increase as well as you max sync rate increase 100-150% of what you have now. If you ever looked at your bit loading graphs on Uverse realtime, youll notice your signal is carried out on a range of frequencies up to 8.832Mhz. at&t will be increasing the frequencies the modems can use for uploads/ downloads up to 17.664Mhz which will allow additional data throughput in conjunction with vectoring of the lines. In addition, if you've ever seen the bit loading graph, you notice the downstream frequencies are colored yellow while the upstream frequencies are colored green. Using rate-adaptive technology, your modem will dynamically reduce/increase the amount of line spectrum your downstream and upstream spectrum you can use and also selecting which frequencies are best for your upstream and downstream. What this means is that when you need additional uploading power, your modem can allocate additional spectrum to increase the upload throughput by "borrowing" the downstream frequencies. So this might hurt if you are downloading and uploading at the same time, but if you're doing one at a time, this means upload speeds could potentially be much higher than what they are currently.

For FTTN customers, this means speeds at 75mbps and 100mbps while for IPDSLAM customers this means 45mbps for most customers and 75mbps for customers close to the CO/RT

skunkape1
@bellsouth.net

skunkape1 to dlewis23

Anon

to dlewis23
att bloze, worse thruput of all ,constant dropouts speed not as advertised

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2
Well, for me I am glad they are doing this since the only other competition here is Comcast. It is good for the consumer to have competition even if you hate either.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

said by Nuckfuts:

Well, for me I am glad they are doing this since the only other competition here is Comcast. It is good for the consumer to have competition even if you hate either.

At least you have competition. I have no other viable alternative. I'm stuck with AT&T or some POS internet from a POS company called RAMAPO with 1Mb/512kb for $59/mo.
I hate Commiecast but I would welcome their internet.
teicher
join:2010-06-30
Raleigh, NC

teicher to scotsclic

to scotsclic
Thanks for sharing this info, it was pretty neat to read about some of the upcoming technology that hasn't already been discussed here.