Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2

Re: Speed Upgrades Coming

said by UverseTech2:

Just get Charter and problem solved

We currently only have U-verse TV/Phone. Just dropped internet about two or so months ago for Comcast.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
Guess it's cool for people that want it. Though I can't imagine what I'd possibly need 75Mbps for. I play games online, netflix, hulu etc. All that stuff works fine on my 12Mbps. In fact, it all worked just fine when I only had 3Mbps.

And then there will be the hundreds of threads from people bitching about the fact that the upload still isn't enough.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by Jon5:

Guess it's cool for people that want it. Though I can't imagine what I'd possibly need 75Mbps for.

It's the upload I'm interested in. If they offered a 12/12 plan I'd be on it in a heartbeat.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Heck, I'd settle for 12/5 for a price significantly lower than TWC charges for 30/5 here.

Too bad AT&T doesn't seem to want to give folks more than 1 Mbps up on IP-DSLAM and 3 Mbps on VDSL.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by iansltx:

Too bad AT&T doesn't seem to want to give folks more than 1 Mbps up on IP-DSLAM and 3 Mbps on VDSL.

I am not sure it's that they don't want too but there is a limit on what VDSL2 can provide. Plus with offering VOIP/TV services over that line they can't devote all of the 2 or 5 MB upstream to internet bandwidth.

scotsclic
@comcast.net

scotsclic to dlewis23

Anon

to dlewis23
Looks like at&t is using a combination of technologies to bring higher speeds to U-Verse. The first technology at&t will be using is pair bonding. Currently pair-bonding is being used to extend the range of the current network, but now it will also be used to increase the speeds of customers closer to the VRAD. With pair bonding comes the phenomenon called cross talk which can drastically reduced data throughput of the bonded lines and other neighboring pairs. To mitigate this, at&t will be vectoring the lines reduce the amount of interference. This will be done by simply changing out a few line cards at the VRAD and some software updates to the RG/iNID to make them vectoring ready. Thus, when at&t completes the upgrade, youll notice more reliability of your connection increase as well as you max sync rate increase 100-150% of what you have now. If you ever looked at your bit loading graphs on Uverse realtime, youll notice your signal is carried out on a range of frequencies up to 8.832Mhz. at&t will be increasing the frequencies the modems can use for uploads/ downloads up to 17.664Mhz which will allow additional data throughput in conjunction with vectoring of the lines. In addition, if you've ever seen the bit loading graph, you notice the downstream frequencies are colored yellow while the upstream frequencies are colored green. Using rate-adaptive technology, your modem will dynamically reduce/increase the amount of line spectrum your downstream and upstream spectrum you can use and also selecting which frequencies are best for your upstream and downstream. What this means is that when you need additional uploading power, your modem can allocate additional spectrum to increase the upload throughput by "borrowing" the downstream frequencies. So this might hurt if you are downloading and uploading at the same time, but if you're doing one at a time, this means upload speeds could potentially be much higher than what they are currently.

For FTTN customers, this means speeds at 75mbps and 100mbps while for IPDSLAM customers this means 45mbps for most customers and 75mbps for customers close to the CO/RT

skunkape1
@bellsouth.net

skunkape1 to dlewis23

Anon

to dlewis23
att bloze, worse thruput of all ,constant dropouts speed not as advertised

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2
Well, for me I am glad they are doing this since the only other competition here is Comcast. It is good for the consumer to have competition even if you hate either.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

said by Nuckfuts:

Well, for me I am glad they are doing this since the only other competition here is Comcast. It is good for the consumer to have competition even if you hate either.

At least you have competition. I have no other viable alternative. I'm stuck with AT&T or some POS internet from a POS company called RAMAPO with 1Mb/512kb for $59/mo.
I hate Commiecast but I would welcome their internet.
teicher
join:2010-06-30
Raleigh, NC

teicher to scotsclic

to scotsclic
Thanks for sharing this info, it was pretty neat to read about some of the upcoming technology that hasn't already been discussed here.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to scotsclic

to scotsclic
Pair bonding has been around since 2010 in the field. It is a very hit and miss when it comes to the outside plant. It varies from VRAD to VRAD in every city. I have installed this in many different cities and generally the pair bonding is used when the customer is approx 3K from the VRAD. I installed many single pair INids in San Antonio because that was the practice there. This is because the outside plant was subpar. This does not even start to factor in that 75% of the techs cannot complete an install on their own that actually works with no problems. It usually takes 2-4 revisits after the initial install to straighten out.

Pair bonding is far from the fix for UVerse, their best bet would be to segregate the video from the data on different pairs, or actually use the new feeds that are installed all over the US and just acting as bird stands for now.

It would work for the IPDSL customers but its not likely to happen anytime soon.

They won't do a thing until this contract negotiation is done, so keep wishing in one hand and do whatever you like with the other.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to scotsclic

Premium Member

to scotsclic
said by scotsclic :

For FTTN customers, this means speeds at 75mbps and 100mbps while for IPDSLAM customers this means 45mbps for most customers and 75mbps for customers close to the CO/RT

What all of this WON'T do however.... is increase the upload.

AT&T will try to tell you that 5 Mbps upload is the best thing since sliced bread, and that no one should need more..... but the reality is that more and more applications send data (photo/video/backup/work-vpn/etc) FROM the home to the world, instead of only receiving it.

I work from home a few days a week on the 24/3 plan. Yeah, it is do-able..... but sometimes I get a 40 MB Spreadsheet I need to add a few things to, and downloading it from our Sharepoint is one thing.... uploading it back up to the the server is a SLOW SLOW process.

(And yes: The company has 10s of Gigibits of bandwidth all over the world, we're.... kinda big.)

Some providers are starting to tackle the upload.... FIOS already has, and cable providers are starting to use bundled upstreams to provide more upstream capacity.

But where is AT&T in all this? No where to be found.... Although Bill Gates never said this, it does remind me of the false quote attributed to him: 640 Kb ought to be enough for everybody.

Only now it is AT&T saying that 5 Mbps upload is enough for everybody.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Heck, I'd settle for 12/5 for a price significantly lower than TWC charges for 30/5 here.

I 2nd this.

Can you imagine if you could assign your own upload/download to each Mhz block 1-8 and customize your connection?

That would blow my balls off.

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga to dlewis23

Premium Member

to dlewis23
I know this is an oldish thread, but I had a repair tech out over the weekend and was asking some questions about the upgrade plans...

My area is currently served VDSL (triple-play) via "F" cards in the VRAD. He said that maximum wire distance was about 3,000 feet for service using these cards. He said that they would be coming through soon and replacing the cards with "K" cards...raising the maximum wire distance to 6,000 feet and also allowing the speed upgrades. He also told me that they were making the speed upgrades (at least in my area) available on March 15. He also told me that they were NOT pair-bonding.

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

David0417 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
Actually you are wrong, I live 2,100 feet from the VRAD and my Gateway syncs on a single pair at 48,000Mbps, with pair bonding 2 pairs together, that gives me a potential capability of 96Mbps.

Pair bonding and vectoring will be the technologies used to accomplish the higher U-Verse speeds, will everyone current U-Verse customer be able to get these speeds, no but it is far more than what you think.

sgtboost
@sbcglobal.net

sgtboost

Anon

Instead of speed upgrades, how about upgrades to the crappy router firmware AT&T??? This thing is such garbage.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

I'm really curious what the pricing for the new tiers will be. I figure they'll either adjust the prices of the new and existing tiers to better compete with cable or they'll be dicks and just add the new tiers alongside the existing and charge outrageous fees for the faster speeds.

Edit: I'm also curious how the bandwidth allowed by the new profiles will be allocated. Common sense would say allocate more bandwidth for their TV service and adjust the compression. If they improved the picture quality I'm sure a lot of us with direct or dish would consider switching to uverse for our tv service.