Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TLS2000

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by TLS2000:

I think their main problem is their focus on 1000 different product lines. From what I read in the article they're going to streamline development of new product lines and drop other lines.

Hopefully they survive. Competition is a good thing.

That and they've also managed to build a reputation for unreliable products. Other companies using the same controllers have not... I'm not sure what OCZ is doing wrong, but my guess is that they're just not validating their products well enough. Their testing is not lengthy enough or rigorous enough, and so they rush insufficiently tested products to market.

said by elwoodblues:

To be fair Guspaz, I'm confidently say that most people won't be playing commercial BR discs on their PC.

If that is indeed the case, I'm pretty sure most of us know where to obtain BR discs unprotected if necessary.

Umm, what other reason is there to buy a bluray drive except to play commercial bluray discs?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by Guspaz:

Umm, what other reason is there to buy a bluray drive except to play commercial bluray discs?

I wonder

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Given the reasonable size, I would use them for data storage. I would back up my photo library.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

How about data backup? Instead of backing up my digital car show photographs for 2012 (which I shoot in the RAW format) to one Bluray disc instead of 10 or 12 DVDs...

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by vue666:

How about data backup?

Yea, it was a strange question he asked. I'd bet more people use them for legitimate backup purposes than piracy. I've never used my blu-ray burners for piracy, they're entirely for archival.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

said by Guspaz:

How about data backup? Instead of backing up my digital car show photographs for 2012 (which I shoot in the RAW format) to one Bluray disc instead of 10 or 12 DVDs...

Exactly. I would use them for off site backup at my in laws.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

said by Guspaz:

Given the reasonable size, I would use them for data storage. I would back up my photo library.

Optical media is so last year. a buck each, for one time use is quite expensive. I'd rather purchase a mechanical drive (1.5tb for $69 for example)then store anything on optical any more.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by Guspaz:

Optical media is so last year. a buck each, for one time use is quite expensive. I'd rather purchase a mechanical drive (1.5tb for $69 for example)then store anything on optical any more.

For off site, optical is better. My in laws are not going to want to hold onto a hard drive, but a couple of discs, sure.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

That and they've also managed to build a reputation for unreliable products. Other companies using the same controllers have not... I'm not sure what OCZ is doing wrong, but my guess is that they're just not validating their products well enough. Their testing is not lengthy enough or rigorous enough, and so they rush insufficiently tested products to market.

My very limited experience with them, a few years ago, was that they were running components outside their supported specs in order to bring the "next generation" to market faster.

So, instead of using 1333 speed memory chips they'd use 1066 speed chips and overclock/overvoltage them to 1333 and sell them as 1333 chips. That was on their "gold" line of products way back when.

After three RMAs because their 1066 chips couldn't handle 1333 and finally discovering why I gave up on the lying fraudsters. Their low reliability numbers are very easily explained using such scams.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

People at OCZ even to this day themselves cringe over what they used to do when they were in the RAM business. It wasn't exactly their best hour, but they were *far* from the worst offender, either.

IamGimli

Canada

said by Gone:

People at OCZ even to this day themselves cringe over what they used to do when they were in the RAM business. It wasn't exactly their best hour, but they were *far* from the worst offender, either.

The thing is, you can't salvage customers after pulling such stunts.

I know I'll never again buy an OCZ product, or any product that may come from a company that rises from OCZ ashes.

I experienced something similar with graphics cards from Sapphire, who were using coolers that didn't meet the minimum cooling specs of the generic ATI chipset they were using and I'll never again buy anything from them ever again either.

Those two experiences, within about 6 months, actually taught me a very valuable lesson which I had never had a use for before (and I've been doing IT personally and professionally for over 20 years): that extra 10-15% you pay for the better brands pays for itself in the long run.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

Sometimes spending more also gets you nowhere.
My two BFG GPUs with lifetime warranties attest to that fact.
--
~ Project Hope ~

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
reply to IamGimli

Dble post.
--
~ Project Hope ~

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

The thing is, you can't salvage customers after pulling such stunts.

I know I'll never again buy an OCZ product, or any product that may come from a company that rises from OCZ ashes.

I experienced something similar with graphics cards from Sapphire, who were using coolers that didn't meet the minimum cooling specs of the generic ATI chipset they were using and I'll never again buy anything from them ever again either.

Those two experiences, within about 6 months, actually taught me a very valuable lesson which I had never had a use for before (and I've been doing IT personally and professionally for over 20 years): that extra 10-15% you pay for the better brands pays for itself in the long run.

Crap. I think my computer is going to implode. It has both an OCZ SSD and a Sapphire Video card.. lol. The Video Card is 1.5 years old now, but the SSD is only 10 months old.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I have two OCZ Agility 3s in service right now, one in my subnotebook (it's not a netbook damnit! haha) and another in my sister's computer. So long as you've got the latest firmware you'll be fine.

My own rig has an Intel 520 as a Windows/boot drive and a Mushkin SSD for Intel SRT on my profile/game drive. The Intel drive obviously won't have any issues, but I haven't had any with the Mushkin either.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Not sure if anyone brought up the high rate of failure for OCZ, as trended on behardware.com, this was all the news in the summer

quote:
- Crucial 0.82% (as against 0.8%)
- Intel 1.73% (as against 0.1%)
- Corsair 2.93% (as against 2.9%)
- OCZ 7.03% (as against 4.2%)

quote:
The first question is of course where the stats come from. They’re taken from a large French etailer, whose database we have had direct access to. We were therefore able to extract the stats we wanted directly from source
So, take it with a grain of salt - »www.behardware.com/articles/862-···s-6.html

IamGimli

Canada
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

As far as I know BFG were never a discount brand. They're not the most expensive but sit well into the middle of the pack price-wise.

They do make great products, I've had a couple of graphics card made by them and they were rock-solid as well.

I've had similar stability from ASUS (except for one MB that shipped with a corrupted BIOS, but that was easily fixed once I was able to figure it out), MSI, Corsair, Intel, Enermax and wouldn't hesitate one minute to pay the extra 10-20$ (if that) for those.

said by zod5000:

Crap. I think my computer is going to implode. It has both an OCZ SSD and a Sapphire Video card.. lol. The Video Card is 1.5 years old now, but the SSD is only 10 months old.

Keep in mind just because one brand is known not to be very reliable doesn't mean you'll necessarily have problems with them. That's particularly true if you don't over-tax those components capabilities.

I have no doubt that Sapphire graphics card I had with the under-spec cooler would've been fine in 90% of home computers which rarely ever really need much graphics horsepower. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brought it to it's knees though, and most memory chips burned up within a week. Same on the RMA unit.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by IamGimli:

said by EUS:

As far as I know BFG were never a discount brand. They're not the most expensive but sit well into the middle of the pack price-wise.

They do make great products, I've had a couple of graphics card made by them and they were rock-solid as well.

I wasn't calling BFG a discount brand, I was simply stating that paying a premium sometimes does not work out either, as the company can exit the marketplace for whatever reason.
--
~ Project Hope ~

IamGimli

Canada

Ah ok, I misunderstood what you meant

Even though they went belly-up, their products still work though lol

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot

OCZ has had numerous major issues with firmware on the 3-series Sandforce drives of which I have no doubt bumped up those numbers. A model-specific breakdown of their RMAs would be interesting to see, as it would probably confirm this.

But, like I said, I have two Agility 3s in service and have had no issues at all.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

I have had a Vertex 2 120GB in this laptop, formerly in another laptop with no issues. It has had some vigorous I/O along the way and nothing. I've kept the firmware updated when I get the chance to zero the drive out though.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Not sure if anyone brought up the high rate of failure for OCZ, as trended on behardware.com, this was all the news in the summer

quote:
- Crucial 0.82% (as against 0.8%)
- Intel 1.73% (as against 0.1%)
- Corsair 2.93% (as against 2.9%)
- OCZ 7.03% (as against 4.2%)
- PLEXTOR 0.6%

added one to your list...
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

When I hear the name Plextor, the only thing that comes to mind are CD burners that cost four times as much as the same thing from someone else.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

When I hear the name Plextor, the only thing that comes to mind are CD burners that cost four times as much as the same thing from someone else.

Oh yes. At one time, they were the drives to get, but they never dropped their prices when the rest of the market did and the premium was not worth it.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

What donoreo said. Back in the day the Plextor's had functions you couldn't find in other drives. At one point it seems they simply gave up...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

They were something special back before CD-ROM drives were commodity items, and had some decent burners back in the early days of those products. They quickly became irrelevant though, especially since they still demanded a hefty price premium for their name despite being absolutely nothing fancy in terms of product.

To this day, I just can't shake that image of Plextor. I kind of even feel the same way toward their SSDs, too.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Oh, no, they were the cream of the crop well into the DVD-RW days too. They were one of the first with SATA DVD-RW drives and right out the gate the error correction tests were great coupled with extremely low error rates on scratched discs. They'd also put out firmware updates for better media compatibility, continually, more than anyone else.

Your average person wouldn't appreciate the difference but for people that were archiving music, scratched discs, overburning (at the time a newer concept), and navigating around copy protections, it was the best you could get.

I believe it was around 2004 that the company took a nosedive and stopped producing anything of merit.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Plextor were never bad drives, they just weren't anywhere near as good as they premiums demanded made them out to be, including in the DVD-R era. I was using Pioneer drives back in those days that worked just as well for all those things you mentioned the "average person" wouldn't care about that cost half as much, including regular firmware updates for new media and all sorts of other stuff.

The problem back in those days was that there was also a lot of shit and some companies even would provide one model that was fantastic and then replace it with an updated model that was shit. Plextor, at least, had some consistency among their products.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I had a plextor CDRW, I believe it was a 16x but at that time they came down in price... I started with a cheap 2x IDE mitsumi or something, boy that was a piece of crap. I quickly spent some real money on a Yamaha 6x SCSI, and that lasted me for many years, until I just wanted something faster... By then the IDE drives buffer underrun protection was pretty well developed and SCSI wasn't really needed.

My first DVD-R was a Pioneer 4x, and I had several models during the next 5-6 years, until I finally ditched IDE all together and everything was SATA since. I think what I have is a LG burner now and i dont really know its specs lol, because it cost like $30.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Gone

My first cd writer was a Plextor, a present from the wifey.
Looking back, (like all computer tech), I can't believe how expensive and slow it was. 2 or 4x write cannot remember.
At the time it was fantastic, didn't get one coaster burning anything either.
--
~ Project Hope ~